The Argument Against Arguing Against Religion

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 11:58 pm
real life wrote:

These events -- the origin of life, the appearance of human life, etc --- were not observed and are not repeatable. Scientists wishing to study these things rely on largely circumstantial evidence, which is far different from direct evidence.

Thus the evidence that is available is open to a variety of interpretations, just as circumstantial evidence in a court of law would be. In fact the historical/legal method is entirely appropriate to be used in studying situations such as this.

In a strict sense, you cannot prove that George Washington existed or that the Roman Empire fell using a scientific method alone. Historical methods are the primary tools used -- sifting through the testimony of witnesses to the events and so forth-- since these historical happenings will not be repeated.

So I guess courts should stop accepting crime scene evidence. You dare to assert that logic and science are not generally good methods to get an idea of what probably happened in the past?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:00 am
Doktor S wrote:
Chumly,
Quote:

trial and error, without rationality or scientific methodology.

I would say trial and error is both rational and scientific to it's core.
It's a form of testing for truth.
It most definitely can be yes, if the Empirical Method is observed, but the potential benefits of trial and error may take place without the rationale of the scientific method, simply though chance.

I am a jellyfish and I fall upon a poison snack and die, my jelly-mate chances upon a nutritious snack and lives, thus even creatures lacking the ability to use the rationale of the scientific method, may benefit from trial and error. No I would not assert that the jelly's used trail and error (synonymous to chance in this example) in such as manner as to be "both rational and scientific to it's core"

In my ancient medicines example, we might well assume the ancients did not adhere to such disciplines as the rationale of the scientific method, in fact they likely adhered to the belief that such medicines were gift of the gods. Yes they used a from of trial and error, no I would not assert that it was used in such a manner as to be "both rational and scientific to it's core".
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:02 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
So I guess courts should stop accepting crime scene evidence.
Right on the mark! (pun)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:04 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:

These events -- the origin of life, the appearance of human life, etc --- were not observed and are not repeatable. Scientists wishing to study these things rely on largely circumstantial evidence, which is far different from direct evidence.

Thus the evidence that is available is open to a variety of interpretations, just as circumstantial evidence in a court of law would be. In fact the historical/legal method is entirely appropriate to be used in studying situations such as this.

In a strict sense, you cannot prove that George Washington existed or that the Roman Empire fell using a scientific method alone. Historical methods are the primary tools used -- sifting through the testimony of witnesses to the events and so forth-- since these historical happenings will not be repeated.

So I guess courts should stop accepting crime scene evidence. You dare to assert that logic and science are not generally good methods to get an idea of what probably happened in the past?

Show me where I said this.

Our courts do accept crime scene evidence, but most crimes didn't have an observer pre-arranged to be there recording the event, did they?

Logic is a useful thing with either a scientific method of investigation or a historical/legal method of investigation.

Why don't you argue against something I actually said?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:07 am
real life wrote:

I did. You implied that using science and logic was not a reliable method for intepreting the past, compared to wishful thinking, I suppose:

real life wrote:
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:10 am
dok you still out there? I still have more questions if your in the mood to answer them.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:15 am
Hi Dok,

I'll give on more example. My spaceship is running out of resources, I am equidistant from 4 equally likely to support life planets. I can garner no more data. I have no more time left to decide.

Which do I choose?
Why?
How can I leverage my survival to be "both rational and scientific to it's core"?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:18 am
hephzibah wrote:
dok you still out there? I still have more questions if your in the mood to answer them.

Sure.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:20 am
Chumly wrote:
Hi Dok,

I'll give on more example. My spaceship is running out of resources, I am equidistant from 4 equally likely to support life planets. I can garner no more data. I have no more time left to decide.

Which do I choose?
Why?
How can I leverage my survival to be "both rational and scientific to it's core"?

I do believe you are cross posting.
Anyhow, given that scenario any of the 4 choices would be equally rational.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:22 am
Thanks. You said:

Quote:
Yes, people are very hard to predict. Yes, our predictions about peoples behaviors will often be wrong. But this is only due to insufficient information to make more acurate predictions, right?

How can we have enough information about anyone to make really accurate predictions?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:23 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:

I did. You implied that using science and logic was not a reliable method for intepreting the past, compared to wishful thinking, I suppose:

real life wrote:

I didn't even address the question of logic.

I discussed the nature of evidence.

If it happened in the past and no one observed it, then your evidence is circumstantial, no?

Fossils, layers of rock, etc are there but there is no observer to tell us how they came to be where they are.

We can infer and attempt to draw interpretitive conclusions , but need to recognize that they are not absolute and that the evidence may also be interpreted in ways other than what we have chosen.

For instance, you can study sedimentary rock layer 'x' and you notice that there are no fossils of organism 'b' in this layer. Does that mean that organism 'b' did not exist at the time this layer of sedimentary rock was formed?

No.

It may simply mean that no representatives from this species were buried in the sediment as the layer formed.

Perhaps they were mobile enough to escape the water that formed the layer.

Perhaps this few square yards of dirt was not where they were buried and they are yet to be found in the very same strata 1000 yards that direction, where we haven't dug yet.

Perhaps their preferred habitat was miles away.

But it doesn't mean they didn't exist at the time the layer was formed. Drawing too broad of a conclusion from circumstantial evidence is an easy way to err.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:26 am
real life wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
real life wrote:

real life wrote:

I didn't even address the question of logic.

I discussed the nature of evidence.

If it happened in the past and no one observed it, then your evidence is circumstantial, no?

Fossils, layers of rock, etc are there but there is no observer to tell us how they came to be where they are.

We can infer and attempt to draw interpretitive conclusions , but need to recognize that they are not absolute and that the evidence may also be interpreted in ways other than what we have chosen.

For instance, you can study sedimentary rock layer 'x' and you notice that there are no fossils of organism 'b' in this layer. Does that mean that organism 'b' did not exist at the time this layer of sedimentary rock was formed?

No.

It may simply mean that no representatives from this species were buried in the sediment as the layer formed.

Perhaps they were mobile enough to escape the water that formed the layer.

Perhaps this few square yards of dirt was not where they were buried and they are yet to be found in the very same strata 1000 yards that direction, where we haven't dug yet.

Perhaps their preferred habitat was miles away.

But it doesn't mean they didn't exist at the time the layer was formed. Drawing too broad of a conclusion from circumstantial evidence is an easy way to err.

You are arguing that science and logic are not entirely up to muster in interpreting past events. So, what is your better class of evidence that a God exists? If science is imperfect, you figure it's time for guessing?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:33 am
Another question for you dok:

If you and I were to have the exact same experience. Seeing that we are two different people wouldn't that then almost guarantee that though it was the same experience it would have a different effect on both of us?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:43 am
Doktor S wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Hi Dok,

Which do I choose?
Why?

I do believe you are cross posting.
Anyhow, given that scenario any of the 4 choices would be equally rational.
No I have not cross posted this anywhere else (AFAICT) and yes they are equal in their rationale and equal in their lack of rationale, hence chance = trial and error in this example. Have a look at the Jelly's too it's an amusing chance = trial and error example.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:44 am
Heph. The only way to learn about people is through observation. People are all different, but most fall into a lattice of predictable patterns and behaviors to someone that knows what they are looking for. Most people share common motivations and display similar behaviors driven by these motivations.
The level to which someone could be predicted, as to the acuracy of any prediction, depends on the amount of data the one making the prediction is working with.
Now from a practical perspective, this makes people very hard to predict as we are often working with very little data.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:51 am
Yes this is true. So what role then does experience play in all this? Because what I believe is that a lot of what we do and say comes directly from our experience. So to accurately predict how I may react to something you would need to know every experience I've had pertaining to that something. Which would pretty much be impossible. Because I could tell you the best I remember most things, but there's probably things I would have forgotten, or even remembered slightly different from the actual event. Am I correct in this assumption?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 01:00 am
Quote:

So what role then does experience play in all this? Because what I believe is that a lot of what we do and say comes directly from our experience. So to accurately predict how I may react to something you would need to know every experience I've had pertaining to that something. Which would pretty much be impossible.

I hear what you are saying, but there is more to it.
Even though peoples behaviors are linked to a lifetime of personality shaping experiences, the personality itself is not so complex as you might think. EVERYONE falls into patters of predictablity. Personally I would atribute this to biological programming.
But if you really want to know about this stuff, don't talk to me. read some reputable psychologists work. I highly recomend adler and maslow
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 01:13 am
Hmmm... Biological programming. That's interesting. I never considered that as a possible factor. This is all definately something I wouldn't mind looking into. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions dok. I must go get some rest now. Good night.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 02:51 am
Doktor S, do you have ideas about where one may explore satanist philosophy more fully?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:24 am
hephzibah wrote:
Another question for you dok:

If you and I were to have the exact same experience. Seeing that we are two different people wouldn't that then almost guarantee that though it was the same experience it would have a different effect on both of us?

Hep- People experience emotions based on their own unique perceptions, and subsequent evaluations. For instance, let's take the common example of observing an auto accident. One person would get sick to her stomach, and have to leave. Another would rush in and do what he can to help. Another would be grateful that he was not in the accident. Another might become excited by the blood and gore.

In other words, emotions do not come from out of nowhere. They are based on the way that a person characteristically thinks.

I had been skimming this thread this morning, and had noticed that you were terribly upset about possibly hurting another person by your words. Hep, you were doing the appropriate thing. This is a discussion forum. You have always been very polite, and sensitive to other people.

You had no reason to beat up on yourself because you thought that someone possibly took umbrage at wour words. That is not your problem. As I have described above, people will have many reactions to situations, based on their own personal experiences in life, and what they have thought about those experiences.

One of my favorite sayings came from, of all things, a popular song of a while back. It goes, "You can't please everybody, so you've got to please yourself".

Check out this site:

http://mentalhelp.net/psyhelp/chap14/chap14g.htm
0 Replies