The Argument Against Arguing Against Religion

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:08 pm
Eorl wrote:
I think it's important for those who make decisions based on faith understand that that is what they are doing, and that the rest of us are within our rights to demand a better reason when their decisions effect us.

Those who think faith is logic and scripture is knowledge are very dangerous people.

I think many of us here argue to help faith based thinkers understand that that is what they are, for the have been systematically and deliberately taught otherwise.

Eorl,

Don't you feel you are making some assumptions there? I have been systematically and deliberately taught otherwise? Can you explain just what you mean by that please?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:36 pm
Momma

Would you agree that both bible and church tell you to trust in your love of God? and not to place a higher estimate on your own intellect than you do on His? Are you told not to allow doubt to enter your mind and to stand fast against the teachings of atheists? Are you not taught that to demand proof of God is weakness and foolishness?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:48 pm
Eorl,

Most of what I know of God I learned on my own. Yes, I follow the Bible. I believe the Bible is God's word. But no, I have not been taught that to demand proof of God is weakness. Actually, I think to demand proof of God is the height of arrogance and I didn't need anyone to tell me that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:12 pm
Q

E

D
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:57 pm
religion a monster?

Hmmm.....
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:58 pm
Ok... silly question I know... but setanta, I keep seeing you say this...

What does "QED" mean?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:05 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Eorl,

Most of what I know of God I learned on my own. Yes, I follow the Bible. I believe the Bible is God's word. But no, I have not been taught that to demand proof of God is weakness. Actually, I think to demand proof of God is the height of arrogance and I didn't need anyone to tell me that.

Yes, you DID need "someone" to tell you that.

Did you think up the idea of god on your own?

How did you get your ideas of god?

Of course you had to be taught that it demanding proof of god is the height of arrogance.

Imagine for a moment you had never been taught about god, and someone came along to convince you that an invisible thing existed with the attributes christian (and others) assign to their god - how would you react?

Or, imagine if Craven reappeared with the dwarf on his shoulder that he often speaks of, which is invisible to others, but who created the world and tells Craven what to do and to demand that everyone worships him.

If Craven began to insist, on the word of the heavenly dwarf, creator of all, and giver of eternal life to those who follow him, that homosexuals were special people who should be the only ones allowed to marry, for instance, and that all law and custom should reflect this, what would you do?

Would you perhaps demand proof?

Would it be the height of arrogance for you to do so?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 12:04 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Eorl,

Sorry, but I think that to believe without any verification is the height of credulity.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 12:47 am
Re: The Argument Against Arguing Against Religion
Questioner, forgive me for this please.... but....

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaa hahahahahaha!

Ok, I had to get that out. I think this is incredibly funny. The title alone is quite entertaining... Not laughing at you, I promise, this one just hit's my funnybone is all...

Ok moving on. You know I just just can't help myself from bringing this up because I hear so many people sling these terms around.

Fact...

Logic...

Evidence...

Words are something of great interest to me because often times there is a whole range of meanings for ONE word. So depending how you say what you say really determines what you are saying. So let's talk about facts, evidence, and logic since you say:

Quote:
...most of those professing belief in a religion do so without any real factual evidence dictates that they will not relent their belief due to fact or logic.

(Hang on to your office chairs everyone... I'm getting ready to assert something here! whoooo hoooooooo!)

Fact
1 : a thing done: as a obsolete : FEAT b : CRIME <accessory after the fact> c archaic : ACTION
2 archaic : PERFORMANCE, DOING
3 : the quality of being actual : ACTUALITY <a question of fact hinges on evidence>
4 a : something that has actual existence <space exploration is now a fact> b : an actual occurrence <prove the fact of damage>
5 : a piece of information presented as having objective reality
- in fact : in truth

So to the believer God is considered a fact based on objective reality...

To the non-believer God is not considered a fact based on belief that there was never an actual occurance of the things the bible says and there's no physical proof of His existence.

Logic
1 a
(1) : a science that deals with the principles and criteria of validity of inference and demonstration : the science of the formal principles of reasoning
(2) : a branch or variety of logic <modal logic> <Boolean logic>
(3) : a branch of semiotic; especially : SYNTACTICS
(4) : the formal principles of a branch of knowledge b
(1) : a particular mode of reasoning viewed as valid or faulty
(2) : RELEVANCE, PROPRIETY c : interrelation or sequence of facts or events when seen as inevitable or predictable d : the arrangement of circuit elements (as in a computer) needed for computation; also : the circuits themselves
2 : something that forces a decision apart from or in opposition to reason <the logic of war>
- lo·gi·cian /lO-'ji-sh&n/ noun

To the believer God is a logical explanation because to themselves their reasoning is valid because they believe what the bible says is true therefore providing evidence to them of a sequence of facts and events seen as inevitable and/or predictable.

To the non-believer God is not a logical explanation because the believers reasoning is faulty since there is not a science within it that deals with the principles and criteria of validity of inference and demonstration

Evidence:
: to offer evidence of : PROVE, EVINCE

Now, based on all that's been said above:

To the believer there is evidence of God because their facts are based on objective reality and their logic comes from the bible.

To the non-believer there is no evidence of God because the things the bible contains are not considered facts nor is there logic because there's no demonstration of His existence.

So my assertions is this:

What is fact to me may not be fact to you:

Does that then make it any less a fact?

What is logic to me may not be logic to you:

Does that then make it any less logical?

What is evidence to me may not be evidence to you:

Does that then make it any less evidence?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 12:57 am
Heph.
Not your best work. Not gonna refute at this time
But, one question.
Do you think this represents what actually makes sense, or what you want to make sense?
Does this line of reasoning really ring true for you, or are you simply ignoring some mental red flags?
You seem smarter than this.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:02 am
Come on Dok I worked hard on this! LOL

I'm just playing on words as many others have done, the only difference is I'm putting it right out there in the open. (yeah, I'm ducking cause I'm sure I'll catch a lot of crap for this one)

Oh yeah, one other thing... I had a lot of fun doing this... even if it's not my best work... I feel kinda like a kid who just got into the finger paints and put different colored hand prints all over my bedroom wall....

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:17 am
Are you interested in what is true, or what is true to you?
If the latter debate is futile, if the former why wouldn't you strengthen your standard of evidence? Aren't you interested in filtering out the cream from the milk?
Just general questions.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:23 am
Of course I am dok, but hey, why not have a little fun in the process?

I still stand though that how one interprets something that is said plays a definate role in that person's perception of the issue.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:36 am
Quote:

I still stand though that how one interprets something that is said plays a definate role in that person's perception of the issue.

That is something I can agree with. In fact, I would take it one step further and assert how one interprets something is ones perception of the issue, so to speak.
One point you did get across with that post was 'define your terms'. I completely agree. If people are working off different definitions of key words or terms in a discussion, nothing useful can come of it. If one party is playing football and the other hockey, it will be very difficult to score any points.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:44 am
Exactally!

I would also like to add some food for thought, if that's ok, before I call it a night:

A lot of what I say cannot be taken just at face value. I'm a very deep thinker. The way I relate to things, issues, people, is much different than most. I recognize this. I try to be good and keep things in a perspective where people can actually get what I'm saying. However, that doesn't always work out so well for me. I don't take things at face value. I try to look behind the words that appear on the screen. I try to look at it from the perspective of the writer so I can better understand where they are coming from.

So being as I am, I sometimes forget that not everyone see's things this way because I think everyone thinks like me! (LOL, they should though... it would make my life a lot easier! whoooo... just kidding!)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 04:38 am
hephzibah wrote:
Ok... silly question I know... but setanta, I keep seeing you say this...

What does "QED" mean?

Quod erat demonstrandum--What was to be demonstrated, or That which was to be demonstrated. It is used when someone makes your point for you.

In inaugurating the thread, Q as if anyone had any thoughts. I wrote:

"Yes--thousands of people come here to read, and never post. For sake of that public attention, it is important that nonsensical views and superstition always be challenged."

By writing QED, I referred to MOAN's assertion to the effect:

"Most of what I know of God I learned on my own. Yes, I follow the Bible. I believe the Bible is God's word. But no, I have not been taught that to demand proof of God is weakness. Actually, I think to demand proof of God is the height of arrogance and I didn't need anyone to tell me that."

I consider that to be the nonsensical views and superstition which ought always be challenged, MOAN was providing a glaring example of what i had referred to . . . QED . . .
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 05:53 am
To demand proof of God is the sort of thinking that has led to an attack on science from the religious fundamentalists.

They wish to prove themselves to us, by displaying their belief in "scientific terms". This has led to a "sciencing up" of their beliefs and the rise of ID and the attack of Evolution with as much scientific "proof" as possible.

If we continue demanding proof of God, they will continue trying to come up with it, and because they cannot come up with anything, they are left with attacking anything they consider to be negative proof of God as their only option.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 05:56 am
Re: The Argument Against Arguing Against Religion
hephzibah wrote:
Questioner, forgive me for this please.... but....

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaa hahahahahaha!

Ok, I had to get that out. I think this is incredibly funny. The title alone is quite entertaining... Not laughing at you, I promise, this one just hit's my funnybone is all...

Ok moving on. You know I just just can't help myself from bringing this up because I hear so many people sling these terms around.

Fact...

Logic...

Evidence...

Words are something of great interest to me because often times there is a whole range of meanings for ONE word. So depending how you say what you say really determines what you are saying. So let's talk about facts, evidence, and logic since you say:

Quote:
...most of those professing belief in a religion do so without any real factual evidence dictates that they will not relent their belief due to fact or logic.

(Hang on to your office chairs everyone... I'm getting ready to assert something here! whoooo hoooooooo!)

Fact
1 : a thing done: as a obsolete : FEAT b : CRIME <accessory after the fact> c archaic : ACTION
2 archaic : PERFORMANCE, DOING
3 : the quality of being actual : ACTUALITY <a question of fact hinges on evidence>
4 a : something that has actual existence <space exploration is now a fact> b : an actual occurrence <prove the fact of damage>
5 : a piece of information presented as having objective reality
- in fact : in truth

So to the believer God is considered a fact based on objective reality...

To the non-believer God is not considered a fact based on belief that there was never an actual occurance of the things the bible says and there's no physical proof of His existence.

Logic
1 a
(1) : a science that deals with the principles and criteria of validity of inference and demonstration : the science of the formal principles of reasoning
(2) : a branch or variety of logic <modal logic> <Boolean logic>
(3) : a branch of semiotic; especially : SYNTACTICS
(4) : the formal principles of a branch of knowledge b
(1) : a particular mode of reasoning viewed as valid or faulty
(2) : RELEVANCE, PROPRIETY c : interrelation or sequence of facts or events when seen as inevitable or predictable d : the arrangement of circuit elements (as in a computer) needed for computation; also : the circuits themselves
2 : something that forces a decision apart from or in opposition to reason <the logic of war>
- lo·gi·cian /lO-'ji-sh&n/ noun

To the believer God is a logical explanation because to themselves their reasoning is valid because they believe what the bible says is true therefore providing evidence to them of a sequence of facts and events seen as inevitable and/or predictable.

To the non-believer God is not a logical explanation because the believers reasoning is faulty since there is not a science within it that deals with the principles and criteria of validity of inference and demonstration

Evidence:
: to offer evidence of : PROVE, EVINCE

Now, based on all that's been said above:

To the believer there is evidence of God because their facts are based on objective reality and their logic comes from the bible.

To the non-believer there is no evidence of God because the things the bible contains are not considered facts nor is there logic because there's no demonstration of His existence.

So my assertions is this:

What is fact to me may not be fact to you:

Does that then make it any less a fact?

What is logic to me may not be logic to you:

Does that then make it any less logical?

What is evidence to me may not be evidence to you:

Does that then make it any less evidence?

You're simply assuming that the Bible is true without evidence that it is, which is illogical.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 06:08 am
The main reason I argue against the religious point of view is, the attempts to displace science with faith in the classroom, passing fairh-based laws at others' expense, etc. It the religious truly wished to live and let live, they would back off.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 06:25 am
agon \AH-gahn; ah-GOHN\,
plural agones \uh-GOH-neez\ noun:
A struggle or contest; conflict; especially between the protagonist and antagonist in a literary work.

Conflicts about moral claims are part of what it means to be human, and a political ideal stripped of sentimentality and the utopian temptation is one committed to the notion that political life is a permanent agon between clashing, even incompatible goods.
--Jean Bethke Elshtain, Real Politics

It is the irresolvable love-hate agon between men and women that drives all cultures.
--Lawrence Osborne, "False goddess," Salon, June 28, 2000
0 Replies