Are there limits to freedom of expression? 

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 03:40 pm
Are there limits to freedom of expression? 

« When a man trespasses on private property, fails to pay his bills, punches or insults someone, the law is there to condemn and punish him.

But if, by his writings, speeches or example, he destroys the faith, hope and love of thousands, or incites them to vice and violence, the law has nothing to say about it. Everyone is free to express his thoughts and desires, however depraved they may be, without a thought for the effect they might have on the fate of those who are weaker and more easily influenced. When some jewellery is stolen or some windows are broken it is a serious matter and must be stopped,... but when the souls and spirits of men are plunged into doubt, revolt or anguish it is not important?... And so the most dangerous criminals go about their business in complete freedom; in fact, if they happen to be artists, writers or film producers, they are awarded prizes! The spiritual health of society does not count; no one will raise a finger to prevent it from being damaged or destroyed, but the full force of the law, the police, courts, prisons and magistrates, are always on the alert to protect physical, material property.

You will say, "But good heavens! People must be able to express their ideas freely. In the days when thinkers philosophers and artists were persecuted it was no better."

That is true, I know. Until human beings are in possession of the criteria that will enable them to judge what is truly good or evil, it is certainly better to allow everybody to express themselves. But I want to draw the attention of all creators to their responsibility in this respect. I say to them: take care, you have the good fortune to be free, but freedom is not a goal in itself and it is your duty to think about the effect your works will have on others. You must realize that although the law of the land may leave you alone, divine law will hold you responsible.

When you get to the next world and are made to see all the damage you have done to others, it will be useless for you to protest that it was not your fault if those people suffered. You will be told: "Yes it was; they suffered because of you. It was you who created chaos in their hearts and minds; it was you who egged them on to try all kinds of experiences and failed to warn them of the dangers involved. You are guilty and will be punished."

You must use your gifts to enlighten others, to spark their love and trust and a desire to be better. Otherwise, not only will you be punished but in a future incarnation you will be deprived of those gifts.»

Omraam Mikhael Aivanhov
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 898 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 03:47 pm
In legal usage in the United States, yes there are. Specifically, one may not use freedom of speech or the press to avoid liability for inciting others to criminal activity. Mr. Justice Holmes expressed it most pungently when he wrote that freedom of speech does not guarantee the right to shout Fire! in a crowded theater.
0 Replies

Teperehmi

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:03 pm
When people talk of the freedom of writing, speaking or thinking I cannot choose but laugh. No such thing ever existed.
-John Adams

I like that quote.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:48 pm
Quote:
It was you who created chaos in their hearts and minds; it was you who egged them on to try all kinds of experiences and failed to warn them of the dangers involved. You are guilty and will be punished.

The quote that started this thread is one of the most offensive things I have ever read on A2K (and perhaps on the Internet).

Any progress, any worthy cause, any act of heroism anything of beauty come from ideas that challenge us.

Gandhi, Galileo, Darwin, Newton and Jesus Christ all have this in common. The ideas they expressed attacked the ways people thought and the beliefs they held dear. Do you want to equate this with "chaos".

The only way to improve, either as a society or as a human being, is to have our ideas and beliefs thrown into disarray. Human beings have a surprising way of emerging as better.

Sure there are evil ideas, but these are not dealt with if they are forced into the shadows where they can grow until they explode with force. Far better is to let evil ideas into the light where they can be examined and challenged.

For example, in the US, denying the Holocaust is legal. When it happens it is usually publically denounced. I believe that Holocaust denial is much less popular and much less of a problem then in Europe where it is punishable by law.

We are designed to have a very safe existance at one time in our lives- in the womb. Here we are protected and unchallenged. But this is not what life means as the Creator intended for us to be thrust into a world with evil, and hurt and insecurity but also beauty and valor.

I prefer the challenge. I have personally grown each time one of my deeply held beliefs was confronted with a powerful idea and I am grateful when this happens.

Many ideas in my community and in society need to be challenged. This is the only way for good to overcome evil. I do this as often as I can.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 04:00 am
It takes VERY special kind of person to put ebrown_p and I on the same side of an issue.

I must say Solve et Coagula, you have a remarkable ability to point to a steaming pile of pig manure and eloquently try to explain it away as a pile of diamonds.

Individuals who thought as you do were the reason the Spanish Inquisition was able to flourish...

I mean it seems so reasonable:

We do not persecute, we restrict the spreading of knowledge that the common people are unable to comprehend.

We eliminate the confusion and prevent those who are unable to distinguish right from wrong from having to make that choice.

We do this all for the common good.

Is that the kind of thing you were hoping for ?

I pity you Solve et Coagula, because you are unable to see that the only true Truth is the free exchange of ideas.
0 Replies