Is the bible reliable?

neologist

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 05:34 pm
True, real life. The burden is upon believers to demonstrate the bible's validity. All the unbeliever must do is present a cogent objection. It is now up to us to provide an answer to Setanta's contention about Matthew.

However, right now I must attend to something else. Back in a few hours.

http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/spinfball.gif

Go Seahawks!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:21 pm
Setanta's objection is an argument from silence.

His basic contention was analogous to:

'X' isn't mentioned in Matthew, therefore the book of Matthew cannot be inerrant/divinely inspired, etc '

Nonsense.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:03 pm
Seahawks won!
0 Replies

aktorist

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:10 pm
People need to understand the epistemology of reason.

For something to be reliable, there needs to be basic evidence that it is true. That the writer was not hallucinating.

We can assume in basic situations that a miscommunication has not occured. But in the realm of the supernatural, we need evidence.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:53 pm
real life wrote:
Setanta's objection is an argument from silence.

His basic contention was analogous to:

'X' isn't mentioned in Matthew, therefore the book of Matthew cannot be inerrant/divinely inspired, etc '

Nonsense.
See; I didn't say it would be difficult.

Anybody who would like an email address @seahawkers.com, pm me. Free.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:55 pm
aktorist wrote:
People need to understand the epistemology of reason.

For something to be reliable, there needs to be basic evidence that it is true. That the writer was not hallucinating.

We can assume in basic situations that a miscommunication has not occured. But in the realm of the supernatural, we need evidence.
Evidence we would also need in the realm of natural law, right?
0 Replies

aktorist

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:58 pm
yep
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 06:52 pm
Sorry this took so long:
Questioner wrote:
neologist wrote:
Y'know I gave a response to Terry's post. You have conveniently ignored it. Why not try cutting it up instead of adding new straw men?

For example, the word omniscience. It doesn't appear in the bible. It implies that God is under necessity to know all things in advance - sort of like the world famous chef who is unable to stop himself from cooking.

Bon appetit

Just out of curiosity, why did you opt to disregard the list of 'contradictions' that Sozobe displayed in this post? You merely took the last sentence of said list and threw up this little jig and ignored the rest. I'd be curious to hear your take on those contradictions. And on the following:
Sozobe, quoting scripture wrote:
Answers in bold italic: GE 1:3-5 On the first day, God created light, then separated light and darkness.
GE 1:14-19 The sun (which separates night and day) wasn't created until the fourth day. Two different Hebrew words here. Don't be confused.

GE 1:11-12, 26-27 Trees were created before man was created.
GE 2:4-9 Man was created before trees were created. Genesis 2nd chapter a summation, in part, of chapter 1.

GE 1:20-21, 26-27 Birds were created before man was created.
GE 2:7, 19 Man was created before birds were created. see above.

GE 1:24-27 Animals were created before man was created.
GE 2:7, 19 Man was created before animals were created. see above.

GE 1:26-27 Man and woman were created at the same time.
GE 2:7, 21-22 Man was created first, woman sometime later.see above.

GE 1:28 God encourages reproduction.
LE 12:1-8 God requires purification rites following childbirth which, in effect, makes childbirth a sin. (Note: The period for purification following the birth of a daughter is twice that for a son.) Lack of understanding of the need for purification.

GE 1:31 God was pleased with his creation.
GE 6:5-6 God was not pleased with his creation.
(Note: That God should be displeased is inconsistent with the concept of omniscience.)previously answered.
As for your question about Judas, it is evident that Matthew deals with the method of his suicide and Acts deals with the result. If you take the two accounts together it is probable that Judas, while attempting to hang himself, either broke the tree limb or the rope and suffered the death described in Acts. The topography around Jerusalem certainly allows for such an interpretation.

As for who actually bought the field, we often attribute the results of an action to its author, regardless of who carries out the action.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 11:12 pm
Ha ha!!! No one is here! I am in charge now!

Whoooooooooooooooo!

see next thread to see continued conversation...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 08:53 am
I do believe you've defenestrated yourself, heph. Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:20 am
Neo,

I am trying to keep her away from open windows and sharp objects............... Laughing
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:27 am
I threw myself out the window??? Oh no! What will we do??? It is crazy what boredom with cause a person to do... isn't it??? Cool
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 09:31 am
Dang it, Hephzibah! I turn my back for one second and you're out the window! Woman you get back in here NOW! Laughing
0 Replies