Is the bible reliable?

Treya

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 11:39 am
hephzibah wrote:
come on now setanta... give me a break... sheesh... Explain please how your statement disproves anything I've said this far.

It has been stated that there are contradictions in the bible, which is what makes it "unreliable". Exactly how is anyone suppose to prove anything if no one is willing to look at these alleged contradictions to see if they are true?

Forgive me please if this sounded harsh. I really didn't mean it to come out that way. I want to discuss this with who ever is willing. After all the title of this thread is: "Is the bible reliable?"

When someone asserts that it is not reliable because there are contradictions in the bible it then becomes necessary for the one wishing to argue this assertion to offer evidence that the bible does not contradict itself. I don't see how that can be done without actually looking at the bible.

This is just as much a risk to what I believe as it is to anyone else. Remember, my life is based on the principles I've found in the bible. If there are contradictions that cannot be disproved I am risking everything I believe. However, I am willing to do that because I am confident in the things I believe and the God behind those things.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 11:57 am
hephzibah wrote:
come on now setanta... give me a break... sheesh... Explain please how your statement disproves anything I've said this far.

It has been stated that there are contradictions in the bible, which is what makes it "unreliable". Exactly how is anyone suppose to prove anything if no one is willing to look at these alleged contradictions to see if they are true?

Well, i am not making extraordinary claims, so i have no burden of proof. I have, in fact already addressed Neo on the issue of contradictions, i was simply responding to your post about the sun being created and the division between the night and day, in the context of the putative reliability of the bible.

God is a supernatural construct. Science insists on naturalistic explanations. To find a middle ground between those two positions (which do not mutually exlude one another--they are simply framed in differing terms), it is necessary to examine the claims of each for logic. Further than that, since logic can be internally consistent but still rely upon false premises, one must examine the premises.

I am simply pointing out that if one proceeds from the premise that the cosmos were intentionally created by a purposeful intellect, those making such a claim needs must provide evidence that this were so.

neologist wrote:
Black, thank you. I brought scones. Would you like one?

Yes, that would be nice.

Quote:
Actually, I am asking for specific arguments, not generalized bloviations such as this one: "Ron L. Hubbard's scientology would be a fitting sequel to Revelation, a great science fiction book."

I'm really sick of the use of "bloviation," especially as i associate with a member who has posted nothing but hostile remarks to me for months. However, i can see your point about the Hubbard remark, although i consider it witty and germane in a referential sense.

I have pointed out to Miss Eppie that one specific argument is the creation story itself--we know, for as well as we can know anything (predictive ability and the failure of falsification), that the earth is a dependency of the star we call the sun, and that our planet revolves around the sun, and rotates on its axis, accounting for night and day as the concepts with which we are familiar. Observing as much in a discussion of Genesis is a specific argument against the reliability of the bobble.

Quote:
And, rather than directing me to off site links or trips to the bookstore, I would hope some folks would simply state objections in their own words. So far Terry and Soz are the only ones to have posted anything substantive. I believe my answer to Terry was satisfactory at least in part. But since no one has bothered to slice and dice it, what can I say?

Well, i feel under no compulsion to parse your responses to others, or to come to the defense of their theses--although anyone is at any time, entitled to comment on those or any posts.

I believe my remarks to Miss Eppie constitute a substantive objection to the proposition that the bobble is reliable. While on the topic of astrophysics, the contention that the sun stood still: (Joshua 10:12-13, to wit: Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. (King James Version)--is also evidence of the unreliability of the bobble. If the earth were to be instantly arrested in its rotation--things would go flying off the table, so to speak, like nobody's business. The sudden release of potential energy would cause the seas, lakes and rivers to boil, not to mention serious confusing all the little birdies.

As i say, i consider this a substantive objection to the contention that the bobble is reliable.

Quote:
There is a veritable avalanche of reasonable objections to the bible which I believe can be answered. I'll bet Frank, in his heyday, would have loved to get in on this.

Avalanche, yes--but i'll throw stones at you one or two at a time. You do know, don't you, that i'll ridicule any attempt at tortured exegesis which is not implicit in the literal text?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 11:59 am
Miss Eppie, i have no complaint with your tone to me, please don't fret on that account. Please see my reply to you and my attempt to browbeat and humiliate Neo.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 12:05 pm
LOL... I'm working on it here...
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 12:10 pm
Quote:
Well, i am not making extraordinary claims, so i have no burden of proof. I have, in fact already addressed Neo on the issue of contradictions, i was simply responding to your post about the sun being created and the division between the night and day, in the context of the putative reliability of the bible.

God is a supernatural construct. Science insists on naturalistic explanations. To find a middle ground between those two positions (which do not mutually exlude one another--they are simply framed in differing terms), it is necessary to examine the claims of each for logic. Further than that, since logic can be internally consistent but still rely upon false premises, one must examine the premises.

I am simply pointing out that if one proceeds from the premise that the cosmos were intentionally created by a purposeful intellect, those making such a claim needs must provide evidence that this were so.

Therefore it seems to me the first issue to get out of the way is to establish whether these claims of contradictions in the bible are valid or not. Don't you think?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 12:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
. . . I believe my remarks to Miss Eppie constitute a substantive objection to the proposition that the bobble is reliable. While on the topic of astrophysics, the contention that the sun stood still: (Joshua 10:12-13, to wit: Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. (King James Version)--is also evidence of the unreliability of the bobble. If the earth were to be instantly arrested in its rotation--things would go flying off the table, so to speak, like nobody's business. The sudden release of potential energy would cause the seas, lakes and rivers to boil, not to mention serious confusing all the little birdies.
If God were truly the author of natural law, would he not be able to suspend or control its application? Our perception of time as if we were in a stream may not apply to one who stands on the edge of the stream or to one who views time as a pool.

As with Dok's objection to the miracles of the bible, I will have to say no 'proof' may be offered and I don't use them as reasons for my belief. I accept them because of what else I have learned.

So I suppose I am left with the necessity of proving God authored natural law. Can't be done except by inference.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 12:56 pm
Setanta you said:

Quote:
To find a middle ground between those two positions (which do not mutually exlude one another--they are simply framed in differing terms), it is necessary to examine the claims of each for logic.

We cannot examine the claims of logic for either side if we are not willing to look at both sides of the argument.

Setanta,

You're name presents you as a pathfinder. A path has been opened before both of us and I am offering to walk down it with you. Putting at risk everything I believe. Are you willing to do the same?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 01:03 pm
neologist wrote:
mesquite wrote:
How can the Bible be considered reliable when major theologians cannot even agree on major issues such as the existence of Hell or the divinity of Jesus or the concept of Trinity. Then there are the more subtle issues such as original sin, predetermination etc. What is to be taken literally, what is allegory, the unanswered questions that go towards its usefulness are endless.

My take is that it is reliable to support nearly whatever convoluted concept God that may suit the believer. After all when belief is the operative word then the Bible's words take on the meaning of that the believer wants.
The fact that 'major theologians' cannot agree is not relevant. The bible was not written for 'major theologians', it was written for you and me.

Of course it is relevant. I only mentioned theologians because they have devoted much more time than the average Joe to studying the Bible. If as you say it was made for you and me, then we still have a problem because you and me do not agree on those same issues any more than you and Momma Angel do or you and Fred Phelps do.

Tis a real chameleon, that Bible.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 01:06 pm
Mesquite,

You think that Hephzibah and I do not agree on some issues? Shocked Which issues do you think we don't agree on?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 01:28 pm
MA,
I think you and Neo do not agree on the existance of Hell.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 01:54 pm
Mesquite,

That's true. I read that like you were responding to Hephzibah. Too much going on today! Sorry!
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:06 pm
Quote:
A path has been opened before both of us and I am offering to walk down it with you. Putting at risk everything I believe. Are you willing to do the same?

I hope that this challenge I issued was not taken to be exclusively to Setanta. He happened to be the one I was talking to at the time, so the wording was directed towards him. However, I was hoping someone would step up to the plate on this one. As of yet no one has.

This challenge was issued not to try to disprove anyone's personal theory, but as a challenge to look deeper than just the words people speak and the theory's presented and actually seek out the truth on this matter. I think most of you know me well enough by now to know that if I am wrong I'll admit it. I'm not looking for a fight. I am looking for the truth.

So if no one chooses to walk this path with me, I will not condemn them or look down on them. I will simply walk the path alone as I am accustomed to doing. It is time for me to go to work, but I will be back later tonight to see whether I will walk this path alone or if someone will join me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:10 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Therefore it seems to me the first issue to get out of the way is to establish whether these claims of contradictions in the bible are valid or not. Don't you think?

No at far as i'm concerned, because, for the moment, at least, that is not my thesis.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:19 pm
Ok fair enough. What is your thesis then? Please excuse me if I missed it somehow. I won't be able to reply for awhile because I have to go to work. But if you are willing to put out there I should be able to be back around 10pm to see what you've said.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:22 pm
neologist wrote:
If God were truly the author of natural law, would he not be able to suspend or control its application? Our perception of time as if we were in a stream may not apply to one who stands on the edge of the stream or to one who views time as a pool.

This issue of views of time is a canard in this context, because it is not germane to the specific objection which i have raised. The explanation you provide is to answer a question with another question, rather than to make an assertion. In effect, you have not answered the question. In answer to your question, i would point out that you are asking me to believe that your imaginary friend would suspend the physical laws of a vast cosmos in a very, very, very small local context for the purposes of a band of vicious, murderous, racist tribal ignoramuses (in the sense of those who are merely ignorant). Leaving aside the question of the physical laws of the universe and the inherent probability of their suspension, this is hardly evidence of a rational deity. The implications of a deity which plays such games with a creation are profound--that is the behavior of a puerile and insecure mind, not a vast omnipotence. (C.f., for example, The Mysterious Stranger, Samuel Clemens.) Such a contention not only stretches the credulity of one who stands outside the thesis, it makes the greater thesis (the bobble as reliable testament of factual events) even less plausible, makes it appear to be even more unreliable.

None of that signifies, however. You ask for substantive objections to the reliability of the bobble. I offer an egregious passage suggesting the suspension of the naturalist laws of the cosmos. Your response is to insist that one suspend credulity even more than that necessary to the basic premise of believing in your imaginary friend. Not a convincing basis upon which to continue to attempt to support the first implausible thesis.

Quote:
As with Dok's objection to the miracles of the bible, I will have to say no 'proof' may be offered and I don't use them as reasons for my belief. I accept them because of what else I have learned.

What else, precisely, have you learned which makes a suspension of the naturalist laws of the cosmos plausible? What else, precisely, have you learned which makes a deity of such a character less of an offensive personality?

Quote:
So I suppose I am left with the necessity of proving God authored natural law. Can't be done except by inference.

From the point of view of demonstrating the unreliability of hte bobble--QED.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:22 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Mesquite,

That's true. I read that like you were responding to Hephzibah. Too much going on today! Sorry!

Just as a point of reference MA, would you consider that a major or a minor point of disagreement.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:27 pm
mesquite wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Mesquite,

Just as a point of reference MA, would you consider that a major or a minor point of disagreement.

Since I can do nothing about anyone else's salvation, why would it be a point of contention between me and Neo or anyone else for that matter?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:30 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Setanta you said:

Quote:
To find a middle ground between those two positions (which do not mutually exlude one another--they are simply framed in differing terms), it is necessary to examine the claims of each for logic.

We cannot examine the claims of logic for either side if we are not willing to look at both sides of the argument.

Setanta,

You're name presents you as a pathfinder. A path has been opened before both of us and I am offering to walk down it with you. Putting at risk everything I believe. Are you willing to do the same?

I am doing so right now, and have done for many, many years. You are selectively quoting me. I also pointed out that something may be internally consistent from a perspective of mere logic, but be based upon false premises. I like to play RPGs--role playing games, the most famous in the United States if Dungeons and Dragons. Those to which i refer are PC games. Those games posit the existence of magic. Such games (and the widely-selling, long-term successful novels from which they are taken) rely upon the logical internal consistency of the "laws of magic"--i.e., if the evil monster (such as a red dragon) uses magic, it must conform to the laws of magic which are articulated and assumed throughout.

However, all of that rests upon a premise that magic happens, and has the attributes stipulated. That is the basic premise which must be accepted before one can proceed to examine whether a description of magical actions or events are logically consistent. This sort of thinking is so basic to the human intellect, that those who attempt to write sword and sorcery fantasy novels succeed or fail upon their ability to be logically consistent in their descriptions of the operation of magic. People do not even need to consciously, deliberately examine for internal, logical consistency--they know without conscious thought if it is absent, and those authors fail. Those authors who can maintain the internally consistent logic of the thesis succeed--it is as simple as that.

So we have affair not only with the logic of the matter, but first principles--the premises upon which the entire contention is based at the outset. I assure that i have very thoroughly looked at the first principles upon which theism is based.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:39 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Mesquite,

Since I can do nothing about anyone else's salvation, why would it be a point of contention between me and Neo or anyone else for that matter?

We are discussing the reliability of the Bible as a document, not whether or not you control others salvation. Is there some reason for avoiding the question? How about this way.... Is the concept of Hell and salvation from it of major or minor significance to you personally?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:44 pm
Mesquite,

What does how Neo views hell and how I view hell have to do with whether the Bible is reliable or not? Neo's interpretation or understanding of it is different than mine. The words in the Bible are the same. It's our understanding that is different.
0 Replies