Is the bible reliable?

Intrepid

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 12:45 pm
bm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 12:49 pm
I like to watch people dance--"real life," can you explain away two contradictory geneologies in the new testament?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:14 pm
Sorry that I did not respond earlier, real life. Setanta just gave the type of example that I would give.

Personally, I think of the bible as ancient inspirational literature. (It is obviously not a history textbook nor a science textbook.)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:42 pm
Well, I'm glad to find info like this for you, if it is something that will truly be read with an open mind.

I haven't studied this particular topic in depth, so I hope you don't mind reading from someone else who has more detail to offer.

Quote:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 02:29 pm
More detail to offer? What you mean to say is that your source has excuses to make. If scripture were divinely inspired and inerrant, then Matthew would have left nothing out, and Luke would not have made the colossal blunder of voiding his own geneological pretense by making Hey-Zeus the son of god, rather than the son of Joseph, which shoots the whole "descended from King David" claptrap right in the ass.

Pathetic . . .
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 05:46 pm
Setanta wrote:
More detail to offer? What you mean to say is that your source has excuses to make. If scripture were divinely inspired and inerrant, then Matthew would have left nothing out, and Luke would not have made the colossal blunder of voiding his own geneological pretense by making Hey-Zeus the son of god, rather than the son of Joseph, which shoots the whole "descended from King David" claptrap right in the ass.

Pathetic . . .

I'm just starting to read this thread starting from the most recent. Set, you just made my day.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 09:15 pm
Setanta wrote:
More detail to offer? What you mean to say is that your source has excuses to make. If scripture were divinely inspired and inerrant, then Matthew would have left nothing out,

An assumption on your part, not evidence of any contradiction. 'If I was God and I wanted people to write the Bible, I woulda......'

Inspiration does not require the inclusion of any and every fact or detail. It only requires that the facts which are included are accurate.

Setanta wrote:
and Luke would not have made the colossal blunder of voiding his own geneological pretense by making Hey-Zeus the son of god, rather than the son of Joseph, which shoots the whole "descended from King David" claptrap ........

Jesus obviously was descended from David, since Mary is of David's line as is Joseph, his adoptive father. It's pretty simple, really.

Luke refers to the ancestors of Christ all the way back to Adam, whom he terms 'the son of God'. Are you trying to say that no descendant of Adam could be descended from David?

And again this is no evidence of a 'contradiction' (that would be if the Bible made two irreconcilable statements) , it only represents what you think should have been rather than what occurred.

Obviously, you living 20 centuries removed from the culture, think you know much more about how the Jews reckoned genealogies than the thousands of Jews of that day who lived in Judea, including many Levitical priests (Acts 6:7, also written by Luke) who became Christians, indicating their acceptance of His position as Messiah and heir of David.

Very Happy

-----------------

The source who compiled this apparently condensed much of the material drawn from A.T. Robertson, A Harmony of the Gospels, HarperSanFrancisco, NY, pp. 259-262, 1922.

Robertson was among the top Greek scholars of his century and is recognized by Christian and non-Christian sources alike.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 11:30 pm
Neo, I'm sorry to bust in on your thread like this, but I have to ask a question that's buggin me... I know a lot of the regulars are posting here right now so I thought it might be a good place to ask.

Has anyone seen, heard from, or talked to CI?

Umm... if you don't know... carry on! Pretend I'm not even here! LOL
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 11:40 pm
Re: Is the bible reliable?
neologist wrote:
Is the bible reliable?
Are K cars reliable?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 12:30 am
hephzibah wrote:
Neo, I'm sorry to bust in on your thread like this, but I have to ask a question that's buggin me... I know a lot of the regulars are posting here right now so I thought it might be a good place to ask.

Has anyone seen, heard from, or talked to CI?

Umm... if you don't know... carry on! Pretend I'm not even here! LOL
Not my thread. Right now about all I have time to do is read. Some very interesting points of view which I hope to revisit.

Meanwhile CI's last post is not too far back:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1782013#1782013
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 12:42 am
neologist wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Oh good grief.

It even says "Day", as opposed to "Night". What light differentiates day from night?

Perhaps Moses, who penned the text, understood that the luminaries were not discernable at the earlier time because of heavy water vapor in the expanse.

So basically, you state that "the entire bible is a verifiably integrated whole", that is, "the OT agrees with the NT and letters of Paul agree with the Gospels"; and to argue how this is so, when confronted with a contradiction in the texts, you "prove" how they are, still, consistent by making assumptions about what the author may have meant but did not specify.

Did I get that correct? Sounds pretty shaky to me ...

(Havent read beyond the above post yet)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 12:50 am
hephzibah wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Oh good grief.

It even says "Day", as opposed to "Night". What light differentiates day from night?

But it was not stated that there was a separation of day and night until the sun was created. Therefore implying a difference between the light that came when God said let "there be light" and the sun to separate the night from the day.

Huh? I believe Soz was referring to this, right in the part about light being created on the first day:

Gen 1:3-5
3 Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. 4 And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.

So, there were day and night after the first day, but only a sun after the fourth?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:13 am
Momma Angel wrote:
The whole point is that it is not God that is ambiguous. It is not the Word of God that is ambiguous. I don't know why Neo does not believe in (accept, whatever the word is) in hell or not. I have not had that discussion with him. I only know that he has a different understanding than I do.

The main message is the same no matter what. God is love. God loves us. God wants us to love Him. God wants us to love each other. I don't see what is so hard about understanding that BASIC message. :wink:

But the subject of this thread - the assertion at the basis of this thread - goes a long way beyond that BASIC message. It insists that "the entire bible is a verifiably integrated whole" - that it is both consistent and reliable. That's the message that other posters find very hard to understand - or rather, accept. And its a message you put forward yourself too, if I have understood correctly.

I think you have to choose here. Either you argue that the entire bible should be taken literally and as unambiguous truth, but then be ready and able to explain specific individual passages in it that seem contradictory or just plain wrong; or you fall back on the "BASIC message" of love thats all that really counts, but forfeit therewith the argument about all of the Bible being literally reliable and true.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:21 am
Momma Angel wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Yes, that is what I said, that I take it seriously. I did not say that voting should be restricted to non believers.

Mesquite,

Then why are you so miffed about what my vote would be?

He feels that, of course, you should have the right to vote -- but will feel strongly (be "miffed") that the way you cast your vote is wrong.

Thats how I read it anyway; I see no contradiction there.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 08:21 am
real life wrote:
An assumption on your part, not evidence of any contradiction. 'If I was God and I wanted people to write the Bible, I woulda......'

Inspiration does not require the inclusion of any and every fact or detail. It only requires that the facts which are included are accurate.

It is typical of you that you attempt to characterize your opponent's position in simple-minded, or even idiotic terms, to make it seem that you are reasonably countering the wild and unsupported statements of a confused individual.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

The opening post of this thread reads:

Neo wrote:
Paul wrote in 2 Timothy 3:16: "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness . . .

My take on this is the entire bible is a verifiably integrated whole. The OT agrees with the NT and letters of Paul agree with the Gospels.

I am somewhat surprised that many believers either disagree with this proposition or are unable to explain their belief. So I welcome volleys from both sides.

As MA once said, "Let's duke it out!"

So you cannot argue for the proposition of this thread and at the same time suggest that scripture is anything but comprehensive an inerrant. Of course, i did not contend that the contradiction is based in the question of whether or not scripture is inerrant--that is not a proposition i advance. I am pointing out the contradiction--to which you have responded with a cut-and-paste job of feeble exegesis, which bends over backward to make out that the scripture referred to says what it patently does not say--as evidence that scripture is not inerrant.

If you admit that some portions of scripture can err, or are the product of fallible men, rather than divinely guided in every word by an omnipotent and omniscient deity--you are then one of those to whom Neo refers as: ". . . believers [who] either disagree with this proposition or are unable to explain their belief."

Your cut-and-paste job requires that one take the unsupported contentions of your source as evidence to support your contentions--hardly a rhetorical method which recommends itself to those who insist on at least a smidgen of internal logic in a proposition.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:26 am
Setanta wrote:

...........Of course, i did not contend that the contradiction is based in the question of whether or not scripture is inerrant--that is not a proposition i advance........

Really?

Setanta wrote:
If scripture were divinely inspired and inerrant, then Matthew would have left nothing out

When you make up your mind which way you want to argue it, then let me know.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:22 pm
nimh wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Oh good grief.

But it was not stated that there was a separation of day and night until the sun was created. Therefore implying a difference between the light that came when God said let "there be light" and the sun to separate the night from the day.

Huh? I believe Soz was referring to this, right in the part about light being created on the first day:

Gen 1:3-5
3 Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light. 4 And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.

So, there were day and night after the first day, but only a sun after the fourth?

Thank you!

I only just saw this; after I got that response from hephzibah my eyes got kinda buggy and I decided this was hopeless.

But thanks for elucidating for me.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 11:55 pm
In Genesis 1:1, the Hebrew word 'bara' is properly translated as 'created', whereas in vs. 16, the Hebrew word, 'asah', while often translated as 'make' or 'made'. is more appropriately reckoned as 'appointed' or 'established'. Thus, the sun and moon, while they had been there all along, were now discernable in the expanse. This would be in harmony with the understanding that the atmosphere of earth was at one time so thick as to effectively block the light of the sun and moon.

Of course, we could assume the Moses was a total dweeb and completely unable to recognize an apparent disparity between two statements just a few lines apart.

That would be convenient, no?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 06:42 am
nimh wrote:
neologist wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Oh good grief.

Perhaps Moses, who penned the text, understood that the luminaries were not discernable at the earlier time because of heavy water vapor in the expanse.

So basically, you state that "the entire bible is a verifiably integrated whole", that is, "the OT agrees with the NT and letters of Paul agree with the Gospels"; and to argue how this is so, when confronted with a contradiction in the texts, you "prove" how they are, still, consistent by making assumptions about what the author may have meant but did not specify.

Did I get that correct? Sounds pretty shaky to me ...

(Havent read beyond the above post yet)
Does reading the above post now make more sense?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:34 am
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

...........Of course, i did not contend that the contradiction is based in the question of whether or not scripture is inerrant--that is not a proposition i advance........

Really?

Setanta wrote:
If scripture were divinely inspired and inerrant, then Matthew would have left nothing out

When you make up your mind which way you want to argue it, then let me know.

More stupidity attempting to mascarade as cleverness--i don't consider scripture inerrant, i am arguing against Neo's proposition. It is those who argue in favor of the proposition who of necessity consider scripture inerrant. Given that you attempted to refute a contention that scripture contradicts itself, you align yourself with Neo's proposition. Further than that, in attempting to suggest that not all scripture is of necessity inerrant, while attempting to dance away from your inability to demonstrate no contradictions in scripture, you inject contradiction into your thesis.

When you make up your mind which way you intend to argue it, let me know.
0 Replies