Dads and Daughters playgroup.... Just a little bit creepy?

DrewDad

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:25 pm
Found this in a local paper:

DADS AND DAUGHTERS PLAYGROUP offers a chance for young girls (ages 2-3) to hang out with their Pops and do sporty things on the weekend. But, since these are nice people, they'd like to stress that it doesn't have to be a daughter/dad combo. They don't want to make anyone feel unwanted, after all. Call or e-mail for more info. Various locations,
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,145 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:28 pm
I would sure hope that any parent considering this would totally check it out. There are so many things out there today that sound great but aren't.

I'm with you DrewDad, it feels a bit creepy to me and I don't even have kids!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:32 pm
nnnnoooo, not even a little creepy. I think it's great. Now, if it were daddies and their 14 year old daughters, then I might start to get creeped out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:32 pm
I like children . . .

. . . if properly prepared . . .
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:38 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:43 pm
My first reaction was a hmmm and "why is it so specific?", but then I thought about it a bit more and it could make sense. Most playgroups are moms and kids, and I can imagine dads wanting to hang out with other dads rather than being the lone guy. The girls-only thing is still a bit more iffy -- why not "Dads and Tots", or something? -- but still could be fine. Sozlet was (and is) interested in playing with whomever, but I've known a lot of 2/3 -yr-old girls who were very very girly. (Little Ponies, Barbies, etc.)

Probably not much different than anything else you'd find in a similar way -- if you go, be somewhat wary the first few times until you get a feel for things.

I'm with littlek in that I'm happy that things have gotten to the point where such a thing exists (in terms of dads being around and active).
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 02:14 pm
The local moms' group specifically excludes dads. Rolling Eyes I can't even take the girls if T is sick.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 02:15 pm
That sucks! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 02:21 pm
I see it like this. One guy who spends a lot of time caring for his daughter would rather hang out with other guys, rather than women, and their kids. Through experience, he finds that little boys his daughter's age are too rough and she doesn't have much fun playing with them. Or, she has specifically said she doesn't want to play with them. Maybe she has a brother and no sisters.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 02:22 pm
I hate to see groups do that.
JUST be open to moms and babies
or JUST be open to a specific kind of family structure.

Play groups are more for adults .. yes.. BUT- they are , at least SHOULD be , centered around the children.

A dad and baby group , to me sounds great!
Think about it this way. As soz said, most of the groups are geared to women. The places they meet in are cutsie tootsie , subjects of play groups ( book exchange, clothing swap, SAHM social hour) are all about the moms.
If dad goes, he is either -ignored- or, treated as a big teddy bear.
Neither is fair. A dad is a parent just like the mom. So instead of dads only having groups of women to hang out with while thier kids play, here is a group that does things that more men would find interesting.

unless..
you LIKE the knitting groups DD ? Very Happy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 02:42 pm
I don't know that this is creepy. I read it and thought instantly of my husband and daughters. It sounds more like to me of a special way for dads to bond with their daughters. Many men may have a more difficult time to bond with girls - especially girly girls. The sporty part also makes it seem as a way to encourage dads with things they may be more comfortable with and also as a way to start encouraging their girls to be involved with sports.

My husband is very active with my older daughter now as she loves sports - the two go to the Y all the time for swimming and playing basketball - he also has coached her T ball team. It is a great way for a dad and daughter to bond.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 05:10 pm
It didn't strike me as creepy. In fact, it reminded me of a couple of single fathers I know who wouldn't fit in with a group of moms at all. I'd check it out, of course, just like any other group. But in general I think it's a good idea.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 06:51 pm
I can't see anything wrong with it either. When my German
friend was pregnant, they decided that her husband will
stay at home with the baby the first year (German family
laws provides for a baby year and either parent can stay home).

Dad had a blast with the baby and created a playgroup
with both mothers and fathers. They all got along quite fine.
0 Replies