Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 09:14 am
I'm not a PETA tree hugger who loves animals more than people. I think it's okay, if not always healthy, to eat them.

I was a vegetarian when I met squinney years ago and she, being a ranchers daughter, didn't consider it dinner unless there was red meat and potatoes on the table. So be it. I love a blood rare steak with plenty of horseradish.

However, the terrible intestinal pain that has plagued me went away within two days of quitting eating meat, and with the same combination of exercise as I did pre surgery (which is very regular) I am eating myself as full and content as I like and my weight does not fluctuate and I feel much better. Squinney tried it and feels better. My girl cub, who although not a problem skin cub has her normal share of teen zits, sees a total clearing of her complexion, and by shopping carefully we find that we're spending if not a lot less, certainly no more than before.

We still eat fish and seafood and drink milk and eat cheese.

Anybody out there have anecdotes about switching to a vegetarian diet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,783 • Replies: 26
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 09:26 am
I believe meat should be eaten sparingly, fruit vegetables, seeds, mushrooms and the like eaten often. Some dailry.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 09:43 pm
Interesting, BVT
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 10:12 pm
Glad it's working so well for you, BVT!

We're kind of halfway veggie (I know, it's not something you can really be halfway...) E.G. was a vegetarian when I met him and had been for a long time, and we met in a vegetarian housing co-op. (The dinners that were cooked for everyone every night were all vegetarian.) So I was a de-facto vegetarian since I had pretty much no money to eat outside of the co-op.

I corrupted him with a brat (ooooh) but we're still not huge meat-eaters. Lots of rice, beans, noodles, etc.
0 Replies

Cola

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 10:23 pm
Hi BVT-

I was vegetarian for a few years and loved it, but then I became a hardcore vegan. I decided to resume eating meat when I found myself stuck in the hygiene aisle for 30 minutes reading labels for products that aren't animal tested. I thought, this is nuts, and started eating meat. Even though I'm a light meat eater, I still have to take fiber pills to counteract intestinal problems.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:56 am
Touch my grease-filled beef burritos and die. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 01:36 am
Un huh. I got stuck in a veggie restaurant when I lived in Tulsa. I'm not sure I ever really got a handle on the menu, but finally got some kind of glop ordered. Just before the waitress took off, I leaned towards and asked "Anybody want to split a side of mulch?" Swear to God, I had people looking for it on the menu.

Me and you, Individual. Me and you!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 07:39 am
I was a vegetarian for many years. Now I eat meat in moderation. Still love good veggie meals though.

I am so sick of hummus. And gluten in a can - that stuff is just baaaad. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 08:29 am
This has been mentioned before-- there is a book written about how your blood type determines what foods you best absorb for optimum functioning (I forget the name).
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 07:40 pm
What does blood type have anything to do with how you metabolize foods? The only difference is alternate forms of a protein on the cell surface.

Please find that book for me so I can check it out.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 07:48 pm
Bear mentioned the fact that he still drinks lots of milk.

Perhaps he should read this book

It's an eye-opener.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 08:11 pm
> applause <

glad to hear it bear. !! Very Happy

i wont get on my soap box about my diet change.
Ill just ditto your statements.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:34 pm
The blood type book was written by a naturlaist (from the NW). I can't recall his name, but I believe the book was called "Eating for Your Blood Type". The theory goes that each mutation in blood type (from O to A to B to AB) stuck because it benefitted the new living style that we hominids were adopting at the time.

So, the great hunters and gatherers where the original O blood type. As we settled into some farming/pastoral lifestyles, type A came about (I really have no idea how vaslid all this is, just trying to summarize the book). B represents the coastal nomadic lifestyle and AB is modern - just a mix of A and B.

The type O people are supposed to do well with more meat and less farm type stuff - like eggs, cheese, bread. They do good with meat and root crops for example. Ice age fare, very hardy type plants and meat.

Type A does better with eggs and cheese, but eats less meat. Also, we eat more grains.

Type B is a little bit of a mixed bag. While they were not sedintary (no bread) they did take eggs from nests and fish as well as gather various food crops.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:43 pm
Hmm...I don't trust it.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:28 pm
Ok well, I always wondered about that!

All I can say is I have O blood and I AM healthier eating more meat n' such. I was not at my best as a vegetarian, but who knows....lots of reasons that may have been.

I always thought it had more to do with endomorph, ectomorph, mesomorph type-dealy. More crap-o-la ya think?! Laughing
For example, mesomorph types do better with lots and lots of high-protein food.

What do y'all think? Anyone eat according to blood type or body type?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:36 pm
If switching to an all raw meat diet would have relieved my pain I'd have done it... but this has really worked for me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:48 pm
BVT - if you are eating milk, reconsider. All I know about pancreatitis is what I learned to treat my cat. No milk for him.

I bought the eating-blood type book. I was already eating for my type (A). My friend (O) was not and when she went from a vegitarian diet to one along the lines of what the book said, she felt much better and lost lots of weight. <shrug> Small sample to postulate on.

Quote:
"Eat Right for Your Type" is authored by Peter J. Adamo. Use your blood type to determine which foods you should be eating. When you eat foods that "agree" with your blood type, you reduce the risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, infections, and liver disease. Type A people had ancestors that were farmers, therefore you should be a vegetarian and avoid meat and dairy products. Type B had ancestors that were nomads, therefore you should eat red meat and fish. Type O had ancestors that were hunters and gatherers, therefore you should eat lots of animal protein and little carbohydrates. Type AB, had mixed ancestry, therefore you should eat a combination of Types A and B.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:53 pm
according to my doctor my pancreatitis was acute and normally doesn't re occur except in the case of really heavy drinkers which I am not
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:54 pm
Okiedokie - so what was the pain from?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:57 pm
littlek wrote:
Okiedokie - so what was the pain from?

they never knew what caused all the post surgery pain... that was what was so frustrating about it. They poked prodded and examined every possible inch of me and shrugged their shoulders. All I know is I'm finally better and very grateful.
0 Replies