Feminists' Double Standards About Child Care

Miller

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:23 pm
Feminists' Double Standards About Child Care

by Phyllis Schlafly
Posted Jan 11, 2006

When the feminist movement burst onto the American social scene in the 1970s, the rallying cry was "liberation." The feminists demanded liberation from the role of the housewife and mother who lived in what Betty Friedan famously labeled a "comfortable concentration camp."

Feminist ideology taught that the duties of the housewife and mother were (in Friedan's words) "endless, monotonous, unrewarding" and "peculiarly suited to the capacities of feeble-minded girls." Society's expectation that a mother should care for her own children was cited as oppression of women by our male-dominated patriarchal society from which women must be liberated so they can achieve fulfillment in workforce careers just like men.

Articulating vintage feminism in the 1974 Harvard Educational Review, Hillary Clinton wrote disparagingly about wives who are in "a dependency relationship" which, she said, is akin to "slavery and the Indian reservation system."

Demanding that husbands take on equal duties in child care, the National Organization for Women passed resolutions in the 1970s stating, "The father has equal responsibility with the mother for the child care role."

In 1972, "Ms." Magazine featured pre-marriage contracts declaring housewives independent from essential housework and babycare, and obliging the husband to do half the dishes and diapers. As a model, "Ms." published the Shulmans' marriage agreement, which divided child-care duties as follows:

"Husband does Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Wife does Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Friday is split according to who has done extra work. All usual child care, plus special activities, is split equally. Husband is free all day Saturday, wife is free all Sunday."

Then-ACLU attorney Ruth Bader Ginsburg wrote in her 1977 book "Sex Bias in the U.S. Code" that "all legislation based on the breadwinning-husband, dependent-homemaking-wife pattern" must be eliminated "to reflect the equality principle" because "a scheme built upon the breadwinning husband [and] dependent homemaking wife concept inevitably treats the woman's efforts or aspirations in the economic sector as less important than the man's."

Feminist literature is filled with putdowns of the role of housewife and mother. This ideology led directly to feminist insistence that the taxpayers provide (in Ginsburg's words) "a comprehensive program of government-supported child care."

The icon of college women's studies courses, Simone de Beauvoir, opined that "marriage is an obscene bourgeois institution," and easy divorce became a primary goal of the feminist liberation movement. Three-fourths of divorces are now unilaterally initiated by wives without any requirement to allege fault on the part of the cast-off husband.

As divorces became easy to get, the feminists suddenly did a total about-face in their demand that fathers share equally in child care. Upon divorce, mothers demand total legal and physical custody and control of their children, arguing that only a mother is capable of providing their proper care and upbringing, and a father's only function is to provide a paycheck.

Gone are the demands that the father change diapers or tend to a sick child. Feminists want the father out of sight except maybe for a few hours a month of visitation at her discretion.

Suddenly, the ex-husband is targeted as a totally essential breadwinner, and the ex-wife is eager to proclaim her dependency. Feminists assert that, after divorce, child care should be almost solely the mother's job, dependency is desirable, and providing financial support should be almost solely the father's job.

It is settled law in the United States that parents (note the plural) have a fundamental right to the care, custody and control of the upbringing of their children. But feminists have persuaded the family courts, upon divorce, to acquiesce in feminist demands that the mother typically be given 80 to 100 percent of those fundamental rights that belonged to both parents before divorce.

What's behind this feminist reversal about motherhood? As Freud famously asked, "what does a woman want?"

The explanation appears to be the maxim, Follow the money. Beginning in the mid-1980s, the feminists used their political clout to get Congress to pass draconian post-divorce support-enforcement laws that use the full power of government to give the divorced mother cash income proportional to the percentage of custody time she persuades the court to award, but unrelated to what she spends for the children or to her willingness to allow the father to see his children.

Since the father typically has higher income than the mother, giving near-total custody to the mother enables the states to maximize transfer payments and thereby collect bigger cash bonuses from the federal government. When fathers appeal to the family courts for equal time with their children, they are opposed by a big industry of lawyers, psychologists, custody evaluators, domestic-violence agitators, and government bureaucrats who make their living out of denying fathers their fundamental rights.

It's time for a national debate and discussion of the taxpayer incentives that favor divorce, the anti-marriage feminists, and the resulting exclusion of fathers from the lives of their children.

Human Events Online
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 979 • Replies: 11
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:35 pm
God bless Phyllis and her interesting take on other women. When I was a young girl I thought that by the time I reached Phyllis's age I would be mellow and so would the rest of the women my age. Since I am much younger, I still have time to learn to be so bitter. Frankly I'm a little disappointed that Phyllis still harbors such rage against women she thinks are different. But, it is a free country and if she needs to be a critic rather than a role-model, that's her right as a woman.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:40 pm
Phyllis has a rawther odd view of feminism.

Not too many women I know who'd call themselves feminists would recognize her definition. She's an odd bird.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:44 pm
ehbeth, Ms Schaffley thinks that the word feminist is an obscenity. She seems to be unaware that it was only in the early part of the last century that women even got to vote. Maybe she would be happier taking care of her grandchildren and instructing the young women in her family what it takes to be a "good" woman.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:53 pm
Phyllis Schaffley is a hoot.

I remember being less than 10 and seeing her on Phil Donahue or something and thinking something like "what a nutcase"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:06 pm
glitter - I remember her from the "old days".

I had a subscription to Ms Magazine starting in 1972, when I'd just gone into high school. Reading her comments about that mag are funny.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:09 pm
Yeah. What's she doing writing articles for publication anyway? Shouldn't she be at home taking care of the menfolk and the grandkids?

Stop writing, Phyllis, and start baking!!! Walk the walk, why don't you?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:04 am
I remember Ms Schafley from the old days as well. There she was, the woman who bitterly opposed anything that even hinted woman got to pick their own shoes with that look of disapproval embossed on her face. I think it's interested that she thinks woman are getting divorces "easier" now, maybe she should do a little research and realize that with education and jobs women no longer have to stay with men who beat them, beat the kids and come home drunk. Personally, I like my marriage, I'll be married 28 years this Feb. I couldn't say that about the first marriage I entered into at age 23. I lived with an abusive drunk who almost killed me, and still didn't leave until he told my father what he had done. He was actually proud of himself, thought Dad would appreciate the way he suffered. Makes you feel like an ass admitting to your father that the man who promised to love and honor kept a loaded M-16 in our bedroom. Once I was removed from his good care, he had plenty of chances to see our son. Decided it was too much trouble once the boy was 14. I should get Phyllis to call him, he obviously doesn't know that he is a victim and she could encourage him to re-connect with his now 33-year old son. But the other poster is right, Phyllis should be too busy caring for menfolk, children and polishing the silver to be opening her negative mouth for the other female haters.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 08:39 am
IMO, she makes some very good points. The "Women's Lib" movement of the 70s was supposed to be about equality and fairness but men seldom get that when it comes time for a divorce and child custody arrangements.

If anyone looks through teh threads right here on A2K in the Relationships and Marriage forum they could find several dozen threads where a woman posts something about being in the process of a divorce and that the soon to be ex-husband wants some level of custody of teh kids and other women will invariably jump in and make statments like "How could anyone seperate a mother from her child?!?".

The courts are still heavily stacked against men when it comes to matters of family law but any time someone raises the issue the standard feminist groups (I'm referring to those like NOW...) jump in and fight anything that would even suggest equality or fairness.

Why is it that a divorced mother can tell a court that she wants to be a stay at home mother while the father is ordered to get a job and pay child support or go to prison??? The number of women paying child support is miniscule.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 10:03 am
Well divorced women can say they want to be stay at home moms, but the courts aren't buying that. Most divorces women work outside the home to support themselves. When my son was a minor, his father sent me 25$ a week for support and he fumed over that, even complained to my son that the money he sent to me prevented him from taking his family on a nice vacation. Of course, he continued to smoke 2 cartons a week and god only know how much beer he went thru in a week. Day care ran about 70$ a week so he didn't even send enough for me to work so that he didn't have to pay alimony. In the meantime, wife number 3 was staying home and taking care of the new fruit of his loins. Yeah, it's tough to be a guy unless you have a very good lawyer.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 11:26 am
glitterbag wrote:
Well divorced women can say they want to be stay at home moms, but the courts aren't buying that.

I disagree. The courts ARE buying it and are still very heavily weighted in favor of the woman.

Quote:
When my son was a minor, his father sent me 25$ a week for support and he fumed over that, even complained to my son that the money he sent to me prevented him from taking his family on a nice vacation. Of course, he continued to smoke 2 cartons a week and god only know how much beer he went thru in a week. Day care ran about 70$ a week so he didn't even send enough for me to work so that he didn't have to pay alimony. In the meantime, wife number 3 was staying home and taking care of the new fruit of his loins. Yeah, it's tough to be a guy unless you have a very good lawyer.

And I could tell of an equeally sobbing story of a friend of mine who was ordered to pay $4,500/month in child support and alimony (plus he had to countinue making all the payments on the house she lived in!). His ex-wife was told she had 6 months to find a job. She was told that 8 different times over a 5 year period but never got a single paying job and each time the alimony payments were extended again. He, on the other hand, got laid off from his job and was dragged into court 3 days later and told that he had a week to find another job or to report to the county jail.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 11:39 am
I suppose the real point is that both men and women can behave like jerks and sometimes get the courts to back them up. I'm sorry you thought my experience ranks up there with sob story, but truthfully, getting rid of that abusive drunk was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Your friend does not have a very good lawyer. We can all point to certain cases where either the wife or the husband got screwed, but men often have more money and support to rid themselves of a worn-out wife so I don't think the courts are as sharply divided as some people think. But never underestimate the power one derives from unbridled hate directed at a former spouse. Shame on any court that doesn't take that into consideration.
0 Replies