Social Activities to do when unemployed?

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 05:05 pm
I recently became unemployed and now looking for social things to do. I have considered volunteering, hanging out with my friends (which I can't do since they are all employed and busy), and going to the gym to work out. Can anyone suggest other social things (activities that'll involve me interacting with others) that I can do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,132 • Replies: 14
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 05:40 pm
Interviews for a new job??? Very Happy
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 05:45 pm
How about networking? :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 05:48 pm
find some other on the dole scumbags and deal crack at the local middle schools....
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 07:26 pm
Take classes that will help you get a better job or in a new field you think you would like. I assume you're not endlessly wealthy and will have to return to work at some point.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 07:34 pm
volunteer your time doing things you like to do. Here, I can volunteer to join a group of gardeners in the spring which cleans up the riverbanks of the Charles.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 07:41 pm
Educate yourself a bit more in something of interest to you, a community college class perhaps where you would meet others of similar interests...suppose it depends what you enjoy doing.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 09:45 pm
I pretend I have lots of money. I pretend I have a butler named Jeeves. My mom gets really mad when I call her that...and she never does make me a sammich, either....
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 02:53 am
Either travel or educate yourself.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 03:04 am
On occasions when I've found myself sans job, I hire myself to the rigorous job of finding a job. I get dressed to leave at 8. I have interviews, cold calls, trips to Unemployment to graze for jobs, and follow ups to applications planned throughout the day. I knock off at about 4.

It cuts the depression (if there is any) about being unemployed.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 03:06 am
Apart from the job hunting activities, you could also: check out you local library for some (free) interesting reading material (You might not have had too much time to read while working.) Get into a daily exercise routine. Walking is good & costs nothing! Plant some vegetables & herbs (If you have a garden) You'll have the time to tend them properly. And you'll be able to eat what you produce! Very Happy Learn some new recipes, eat well! And try to get out of the house each day. Even going down the street for a cup of coffee at your local cafe. It's really important not to get too isolated from what's going on around you.

And let us know how you're getting along, OK? Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 03:09 am
Oh, you asked about social activities? Sorry, I missed that bit! But hey, these are good things to do as well. Very Happy
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 01:06 pm
If you try gardening (I don't know where you live; can you even have a garden right now) go for tomatoes. They are the best fresh grown veggie on earth, warm from the sun, juicy, rich tasting...home grown tomatoes aren't anything like what you get at the supermarket.
0 Replies

LoneHaranger

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:11 pm
I don't know what it is that you do for a living, but is there a way you can do free lance work? It could help tide you over until you find full time employment. You could also get a part time job with flexible hours.

Good luck to you. Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 09:04 pm
The YMCA in Toronto offers reduced cost memberships for the un and underemployed. Lotsa social and exercise and volunteer opportunities just at that one resource.
0 Replies