Might the Arabs Have a Point?

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 04:08 am
http://www.amconmag.com/images/top1.gifhttp://www.amconmag.com/images/top4.gif

Quote:
Might the Arabs Have a Point?

by Patrick J. Buchanan

Karen Hughes, President Bush's newest undersecretary of state for public diplomacy and the caretaker of America's image abroad, has her work cut out for her.

A Zogby survey of 3,900 Arabs in Morocco, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Jordan, and the United Arab Emirates has uncovered massive distrust of U.S. motives in the Middle East.

Unkindest cut of all, Arabs would prefer that President Chirac and France lead the world rather than us, and, rather than have us as the world's lone superpower, they would prefer the Chinese.

While Arabs are not as rabidly anti-American as in the aftermath of the Iraq invasion, still, by 77 percent to 6 percent, they believe the Iraqi people are worse off today, and by four-to-one, Arabs say the U.S. invasion has increased, not decreased, terrorism.

Designed by Arab scholar Shibley Telhami of the Brookings Institution, the survey reveals pervasive cynicism about the stated goals of George W. Bush. When asked, "When you consider American objectives in the Middle East, what factors do you think are important to the United States?" the Arab answers came as follows:

Fully 76 percent said the Americans are there for the oil, 68 percent said to protect Israel, 63 percent to dominate the region, and 59 percent to weaken the Muslim world. Only 6 percent said we were there to protect human rights and another 6 percent said to promote democracy. Asked directly if they believe President Bush when he says democracy is our goal, two of every three Arabs, 78 percent in Egypt, said that, no, they do not believe Bush.

Asked to name the two nations that present the greatest threat to regional peace, 70 percent named Israel, 63 percent the United States, and 11 percent Britain. Only 6 percent named our bĂȘte noire Iran.

Asked to name the foreign leader they disliked most, Sharon swept top honors with 45 percent. Bush took the silver with 30 percent. No one else was close. Tony Blair came in a weak third. Only 3 percent of the Arabs detest him most.

While only 6 percent agreed with al-Qaeda's aim to establish an Islamic state and only 7 percent approve of its methods, 20 percent admire the way al-Qaeda "stood up for Muslim causes" and 36 percent admire how it "confronts the U.S."

Favorite news source? Sixty-five percent named Al-Jazeera either as their favorite or second favorite. What Fox News is to red-state America, Al-Jazeera is to the Arab street.

America's standing in the Arab world could hardly be worse. And the questions the survey raises are these: Do we care? And, if we do, do not the Arabs have a point? Has not U.S. behavior in the Middle East lent credence to the view that our principal interests are Israel and oil, and, under Bush II, that we launched an invasion to dominate the region?

After all, before liberating Kuwait, Secretary of State Baker said the coming war was about "o-i-l." And while we sent half a million troops to rescue that nation of 1.5 million, we sent none to Rwanda, where perhaps that many people were massacred.

If Kuwait did not sit on an underground sea of oil, would we have gone in? Is our military presence in the Mideast unrelated to its control of two-thirds of the world's oil reserves?

If human rights is our goal, why have we not gone into Darfur, the real hellhole of human rights? If democracy is what we are fighting for, why did we not invade Cuba, a dictatorship, 90 miles away, far more hostile to America than Saddam's Iraq, and where human rights have been abused for half a century? Saddam never hosted nuclear missiles targeted at U.S. cities.

And is Israel not our fair-haired boy? Though Sharon & Co. have stomped on as many UN resolutions as Saddam Hussein ever did, they have pocketed $100 billion in U.S. aid and are now asking for a $2 billion bonus this year, Katrina notwithstanding. Anyone doubt they will get it?

Though per capita income in Israel is probably 20 times that of the Palestinians, Israel gets the lion's share of economic aid. And though they have flipped off half a dozen presidents to plant half a million settlers in Arab East Jerusalem and the West Bank, have we ever imposed a single sanction on Israel? Has Bush ever raised his voice to Ariel Sharon? And when you listen to the talking heads and read the columns of the neocon press, is it unfair to conclude that, yes, they would like to dump over every regime that defies Bush or Sharon?

Empathy, a capacity for participating in another's feelings or ideas, is indispensable to diplomacy. Carried too far, as it was by the Brits in the 1930s, it can lead to appeasement. But an absence of empathy can leave statesmen oblivious as to why their nation is hated, and with equally fateful consequences.

http://www.amconmag.com/2006/2006_01_16/buchanan.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,691 • Replies: 40
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 06:42 am
strange reasoning, brandon... read again: if human rights is our goal why have we not gone into Darfur.... your reply: no wmds? human rights equals lack of wmd?

in any case, reasons are different: cuba - they tried and failed miserably. reading about operation mongoose was most shocking and eye-opening, as well as amusing - highly recommended. i got there through checking out errol morris's move Fog of War online - a great huge website with links to government documents that were de-classified only few years back.

and sudan - there UN has been the stumbling block, or, more specifically China and Russia (not that U.S. would be willing to go in even if those two were not blocking a UN operation) - china for oil and russia for m-16 trade with sudan. but that's not quite an excuse. if the congress would approve some tangible mechanism of aid to the AU forces in Sudan and had a strategy for this and similar cases, i'd be more inclined to believe that human rights is indeed what is on their heart, but the whole of darfur just fell flat as media shifted their eye elsewhere.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 06:45 am
dagmaraka wrote:
strange reasoning, brandon... read again: if human rights is our goal why have we not gone into Darfur.... your reply: no wmds? human rights equals lack of wmd?

You misunderstand me. I'm saying that we didn't invade Iraq because of a lack of human rights. We invaded because of concerns about WMD which we didn't have about those other places. Improving the Iraqi's liberties was just a fringe benefit.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:32 pm
If you consider the sources most arabs use for news, this hardly surprises me. The CIA needs to get their message out more broadly in the arab world.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:37 pm
Yeah, 'cause there is a source that Arabs can trust, the CIA.

Sheesh

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:46 pm
Our propaganda is no less important than the arab propaganda. If you are told daily that the US is the great Satan, you may eventually start to believe it unless there is something to offer contradictory information.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:48 pm
So you have a credible basis for asserting that Arab news outlets daily tell the populations of Arab nations that the United States is the great Satan?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:51 pm
I did not say that. I said that if you are told daily, I did not specify a source.

You have been awful quick in your need to be wrong about my posts lately. What's the deal?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:55 pm
Quote:
If you are told daily that the US is the great Satan, you may eventually start to believe it unless there is something to offer contradictory information.

If this is the case, what makes you think they are going to start listening to Satan?

Noone trusts the CIA, it's amazing that you believe a bunch of Arabs are going to start, heh

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:03 pm
McGentrix wrote:
If you consider the sources most arabs use for news, this hardly surprises me. The CIA needs to get their message out more broadly in the arab world.

McGentrix wrote:
Our propaganda is no less important than the arab propaganda. If you are told daily that the US is the great Satan, you may eventually start to believe it unless there is something to offer contradictory information.

McGentrix wrote:
I did not say that. I said that if you are told daily, I did not specify a source.

You have been awful quick in your need to be wrong about my posts lately. What's the deal?

Oh, i'm not wrong about bullshit--i know what it looks like and smells like. You wrote, as quoted above: ". . . the sources most arabs use for news . . ."--to which i responded by asking: "So you have a credible basis for asserting that Arab news outlets daily tell the populations of Arab nations that the United States is the great Satan?"

So you're quibbling about a distinction between "news sources" and "news outlets?" Once again, do you have a credible basis for asserting that Arab news sources daily tell the populations of Arab nations that the United States is the great Satan?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:07 pm
McGentrix wrote:

I'm afraid they have our message. We've been showing them by actions for a long time now and no propaganda is going to undo it.

If you're wife wants a divorce because you've been cheating on her, is that a failure of communication?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:09 pm
And as to news sources, most arabs read international news. We Americans, on the other hand...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:29 pm
I doubt "most" arabs are anymore well read than "most" Americans.

Satana, you are trying to make more out of what I said than what I said. Read my signature if you ever need the source of my credibility.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:34 pm
Since it is merely your opinion, there is absolutely no reason for anyone here to take it seriously, then. Thanks for clearing that up.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:41 pm
Re who is stupid: Brandon took a quote from Buchanan's column and accused (presumably) freedom4free of being stupid.

Curious. Buchanan can be accused of many things, but stupidity isn't one of them. And this column, for the most part, is right on.

But Buchanan, of course, is a real conservative. Dominating the world is not in the tradition of real conservatism. Bush and his ilk (including his supporters here) have strayed far afield...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:56 pm
I have, twice already.

Earlier, i posed a rhetorical question, which i will now use as a statement, since its character as a rhetorical question seems to have shot right over your head.

So Brandon, you are therefore asserting that the Arabs of Egypt, Morrocco, Saudia Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, whose nations we did not invade because they had no WoMD, have perpetrated terrorist acts by suicide bombers attacking noncombatants with the full knowledge and consent of the respective governments and the approbation of the respective national populations.

Stating that what you post is idiotic, by the way, is not the same as stating that you, personally, are an idiot. However, i have noted that the politically fanatical, like the religiously fanatical, find it impossible to separate their creed from their person.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:58 pm
Ignorance simply means that someone does not know something. "real life" constantly demonstrates that.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:59 pm
Setanta wrote:
I have, twice already.

Earlier, i posed a rhetorical question, which i will now use as a statement, since its character as a rhetorical question seems to have shot right over your head.

So Brandon, you are therefore asserting that the Arabs of Egypt, Morrocco, Saudia Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, whose nations we did not invade because they had no WoMD, have perpetrated terrorist acts by suicide bombers attacking noncombatants with the full knowledge and consent of the respective governments and the approbation of the respective national populations.

Not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that groups like the PLO and Al Qaeda, who try to further their cause via attacks on noncombatants, and other Arab groups who may condemn such attacks, but are secretly glad that they occur, have forfeited the right to have their point of view considered. As usual, you can only contest my viewpoint by misrepresenting it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 04:00 pm
Setanta wrote:
Ignorance simply means that someone does not know something. "real life" constantly demonstrates that.

And "moronic?" You have reported a post of mine for an insult far milder than ones you post on a virtually daily basis.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 04:03 pm
I spoke of the ignorance being moronic, not the member.
0 Replies