Religion/ Rational or Irrational?

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:22 pm
Aiden, i was unaware that you are an expatriot--i had thought you were a native of Cornwall--please accept my apology for my tone, which was bred of exasperation.

As for what does or does not constitute tolerance, note the leading "have you stopped beating your wife?" type of question which MOAN asks above, to wit: "Are there any theists you don't consider intolerant, Setanta?" I was not about to fall for that crap--no matter how i would attempt to answer such a question, i would implicitly be agreeing that i consider someone intolerant because that person is a theist. This is false--i don't condemn anyone for simply being a theist, rather, it is when i see intolerance, bigotry, hypocricy, deceit . . . that i condemn the person. One may suggest that their religion plays a factor in their bigotry or intolerance, but the condemnation derives from the behavior, not the professed belief. This sort of thing is poisoning the atmosphere here far more than any silly is/is not exchanges going on--there are many people here who are professed christians, and several Jews, and i have had no acrimonious exchanges with any of them. However, recently, there was one unpleasant episode with someone who is a very dear friend here because of the strife recently imported to this site, and one individual whom i have know since the days of Abuzz has started to get nasty with people because of the religious issue. A few members here are polluting the site precisely because of their insistence upon religious militancy reminiscent of nothing so much as the religious hysteria that currently grips the country.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:30 pm
Setanta wrote:
Aiden, i was unaware that you are an expatriot--i had thought you were a native of Cornwall--please accept my apology for my tone, which was bred of exasperation.

As for what does or does not constitute tolerance, note the leading "have you stopped beating your wife?" type of question which MOAN asks above, to wit: "Are there any theists you don't consider intolerant, Setanta?" I was not about to fall for that crap--no matter how i would attempt to answer such a question, i would implicitly be agreeing that i consider someone intolerant because that person is a theist. This is false--i don't condemn anyone for simply being a theist, rather, it is when i see intolerance, bigotry, hypocricy, deceit . . . that i condemn the person. One may suggest that their religion plays a factor in their bigotry or intolerance, but the condemnation derives from the behavior, not the professed belief. This sort of thing is poisoning the atmosphere here far more than any silly is/is not exchanges going on--there are many people here who are professed christians, and several Jews, and i have had no acrimonious exchanges with any of them. However, recently, there was one unpleasant episode with someone who is a very dear friend here because of the strife recently imported to this site, and one individual whom i have know since the days of Abuzz has started to get nasty with people because of the religious issue. A few members here are polluting the site precisely because of their insistence upon religious militancy reminiscent of nothing so much as the religious hysteria that currently grips the country.

I did not mean that question to be like the do you still beat your wife question. I did state that wrong and I do apologize. Let me rephrase my question. Are there any theists that post on A2K that you do not consider intolerant? I ask because if I can understand who you do not consider intolerant perhaps I can see why you feel I am intolerant. And, I would still like to know if you have any information to back up your claim that the US is in the grip of religious hysteria.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:33 pm
Forget it . . . i'm not playing your games--as currently constucted, your question would have me inferentially state that i consider people at this site to be intolerant on the basis of their confession. The point of my response to Aiden, something which is no business of yours, is that i don't make such a decision based upon someone's profession of religious belief, but based upon their behavior.

Play your games with someone else.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:37 pm
Setanta wrote:
Forget it . . . i'm not playing your games--as currently constucted, your question would have me inferentially state that i consider people at this site to be intolerant on the basis of their confession. The point of my response to Aiden, something which is no business of yours, is that i don't make such a decision based upon someone's profession of religious belief, but based upon their behavior.

Play your games with someone else.

Setanta,

I am not attempting to play any games with you whatsoever. I am trying to understand what you consider tolerant and intolerant theistic behavior on a statement you made.

I am not saying you are saying anyone is intolerant because of what they believe. But there must be something that you consider intolerant and something that you don't. I only wanted clarification.

I am willing to let it drop.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:38 pm
You continue to attempt to assert that i judge tolerance on the basis of one's theism. That is false. I won't play the game.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:43 pm
Setanta Wrote:

Quote:
This is what i see as your lop-sided and biased complaint. The origin of this thread, and several others at this time at this site is in the influx of intolerant thesists. The United States is in the grip of a religiously induced hysteria, which i know is not your problem, but it certainly is our problem.

You made the statement. I was just asking for clarification. YOU made the statement, not me.

Now, drop it, ok?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:46 pm
Don't give me orders, that's the kind of thing one expects from some twit trying to bully someone else--i won't be bullied. That the people to whom i referred are intolerant and theists in no way authorizes a contention on your part that i assume anyone is intolerant simply because they are theists.

Now drop it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:47 pm
I did a li'l quickie search and found a bunch of references to the fact that you think gay people shouldn't be able to marry each other, just for starters... doesn't seem super-tolerant.

(I'm just hoping to throw a monkey wrench into what looks to be a long, drawn-out... er, I'll say tennis match.)
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:47 pm
aidan wrote:
I wonder why it is so impossible for us as human beings to just allow that people believe what they feel it necessary to believe to get them through their lives- and just leave it at that.

That's fine, but it's a separate matter from deciding whether what they believe is likely to be true.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:48 pm
Playground squabble would be more like it, with MOAN trying to bully me into a statement that i consider anyone to be intolerant simply because that person is a theist. I have made no such statement.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:49 pm
And whether what they believe should be forced on others based merely on faith, with no rational component. (As in, whether gay people should or shouldn't get married...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:51 pm
Setanta, the thing about a playground squabble is that it takes two. There are plenty of people around to contest Momma Angel's contention that she has not shown any sign of intolerance, if you don't want to do so. The "drop it" "no you drop it" is... yes, a playground squabble.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:52 pm
sozobe wrote:
I did a li'l quickie search and found a bunch of references to the fact that you think gay people shouldn't be able to marry each other, just for starters... doesn't seem super-tolerant.

(I'm just hoping to throw a monkey wrench into what looks to be a long, drawn-out... er, I'll say tennis match.)

Setanta,

Fine. You posted it. It's there. I never said that you felt they were intolerant because they were theists. I just wanted to know the behavior you thought was tolerant and what wasn't. I would imagine you would find the same behavior intolerant or tolerant in non-believers, or whatever. You put meaning to it that wasn't there. It's now dropped.

Sozobe,

So what? I don't think they should marry. Big deal. I'm sure there are things you don't think others should do. Just because someone does something I think is wrong doesn't mean I care any less for them or think less of them.

If disagreeing with someone about something is being intolerant, then I submit there is not one single person in the world that is not intolerant.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 04:22 am
Setanta wrote:

Set - I get what you're saying- and I'm glad to hear you say it. I disagree with a lot of the judgemental behavior of people who call themselves Christians too. But I don't think Christians have the lock on judgemental behavior, intolerance or bigotry, among religious or irreligious people. A certain brand of people who call themselves Christian justify their hatred by twisting what Christianity is imeant to be into what they want it to be just as a certain brand of people who call themselves Muslims twist the words and teachings of Allah to fit their hatred- this has been true of religion throughout history. I don't know what you're dealing with here on A2k because I don't read very much of it anymore. But the threads I do read, I read carefully before I post. And I read the thread Phoenix referred to in its entirety.

So Soz I am aware that when she used the word irrational - it wasn't in a positive light. I was objecting to the question - "Can a religious person live a rational life?", as if religious beliefs somehow preclude a rational (which to me would need to be a prerequisite for productive) life. This does seem insulting and belittling of people's beliefs to me.

I am a believer in God as a creator, but I don't go to church anymore because I can't deal with the judgement and politics that I have consistently found in organized religion. So I just try to find my own way, and teach my children what I learn along the way- and I don't agree that it is irrational to look at the world around me and find beauty and wonder that is worthy of being worshiped. You might - and that's you're prerogative-but I think it's rude and insensitive to label me, as a believer in something larger than and outside of myself, as irrational because I've had experiences that have taught me to look at life differently than you have.

Because the truth of the matter is that judgement, intolerance and politics are present in any organized body of humans who gather for any purpose. So it aint just religious folks who engage and indulge in judging people because they make them uncomfortable or they seem different in some way. Sadly, I think it's human nature and the choice remains for each and every one of us whether to contribute to it or not. I'm just advocating tolerance-not religion.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 12:54 pm
[name withheld] wrote:
yitwail wrote:
Phoenix, in another thread i asked [name withheld] whether a belief in free will was a superstition. he didn't reply, although Doktor S opined that it was. in case [name withheld] & Doktor S aren't the same individuals, maybe [name withheld] would care to respond this time.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1761434&highlight=superstition+free#1761434

i think the question is relevant to this thread, because the idea of justice is commonly based on the notion of free will, but there is no iron-clad proof that human beings have free will.

I was unaware of your question--but i can assure you that i have no intention of rising to the bait of a member who equates me with some other poster, noted for his puerile conceit, because of some obscure paranoia that member entertains. Do us both a favor, and forget i exist.

this seems to me like much ado over a facetious little attempt to cover all the bases. nonetheless, i will oblige you & shun your presence. however, since you are a prolific poster, it would incovenience me to abstain from posting in every thread you choose to post in, so instead i will make sure that our posts never appear on the same page together. i hope that will be a satisfactory arrangement.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:04 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Fine. You posted it. It's there. I never said that you felt they were intolerant because they were theists.

Perhaps that was not your intent, but that was the charcter of the question--and it remained the character of the question after you narrowed the range to this site.

Quote:
I just wanted to know the behavior you thought was tolerant and what wasn't.

Then why didn't you ask that?

Quote:
I would imagine you would find the same behavior intolerant or tolerant in non-believers, or whatever.

You seem to be possessed of far more imagination than i would have opined.

Quote:
You put meaning to it that wasn't there.

The meaning was there in the question--that you may not have intended it is not an unreasonable contention, but one must then regretably assume that you don't customarily express yourself well, as the meaning was still there when you rephrased the question.

Quote:
It's now dropped.

Actually, i doubt that, i have every expectation that you will bring it up again, and that you will attempt to suggest that i consider theists intolerant by definition. As far as i'm concerned, now it is dropped.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 09:03 pm
Playing devil's avocado for a second....

Surely it's possible for a religious interpretation of reality to come about through pure reason and logic?.... flawed logic from my perspective, but it would be rational from the theists own POV?

Faith need not enter the equation at all.

Pascals Wager (as mentioned earlier) would fit the bill.

Sorry if this has been covered already...I read about half the pages...
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 05:35 am
As an aside - the current issue of The Atlantic has some interesting articles on the effect the Christian right is having on the culture, politics and government in the US right now.

Especially interesting articles: "Why the Culture War is the Wrong War"
by E.J. Dionne Jr.

"Tribal Relations" - Steve Walman and John C. Green

"Misfit America"- Paul Starobin

"Two Cheers for Hypocrisy" - P.J. O'Rourke (this has the added benefit of being funny as well as scarily informative about what American kids believe- if statistics are to be relied upon).

The letters to the editor about the existence or non-existence of a god are pretty interesting too. I didn't read that issue as I used to take it out of the library in the US and just started subscribing to it, as it's not available over here- so I missed that one. But if anyone was interested in it - any public library would carry it. I'm less savvy about how you might find it on the internet - but I'm sure you could.

In general, though I know it's a liberal leaning periodical (which appeals to me, but might not to others), I think these articles present an interesting and fairly even-handed look at the situation. No glaring generalizations or platitudes that would tend to mask the issues by inciting or inflaming emotions. That's always a good sign.
0 Replies