Alito - take him or leave him

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:27 pm
I wrote that jokingly, but now I'm starting to consider the truth of the matter. It's interesting to me that we don't have a legal definition of when a person is a 'person' and when they are accorded rights under the USC.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:18 pm
Not to derail this thread into an abortion discussion, but I was thinking about this the other day. Determining when a life begins is only the first step. Let's just say that life begins at conception. Is it a US citizen? According to recent decisions, the Constitution doesn't apply to non-citizens. To be a citizen one must be born in this country or naturalized. If it's not a US citizen then the state has no compelling interest to regulate a woman's bodily functions.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:23 pm
An interesting point. Technically, I don't believe the baby is a citizen until it is born.

According to Ben's guide for kids,

Citizens: Persons born in the U.S. or to U.S. citizens in foreign countries are citizens of the United States. Persons born in other countries who want to become citizens must apply for and pass a citizenship test. Those who become citizens in this manner are naturalized citizens.
Citizens of the U.S. enjoy all of the freedoms, protections, and legal rights which the Constitution promises.

http://bensguide.gpo.gov/3-5/citizenship/

This raises an interesting question of whether anti-abortion advocates can claim any sort of constitutional protection whatsoever for the unborn, as they certainly are not citizens.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:33 pm
I should clarify that I don't know if the Constitution does only apply to citizens, it's just an argument that's been made post-9/11, I can't remember in what context. And I also shouldn't have said "according to recent decisions" because I don't actually know if court decisions have said that. It's more like that's what the administration has argued.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:35 pm
From that same link,

'Citizens of the U.S. enjoy all of the freedoms, protections, and legal rights which the Constitution promises.'

Which directly implies that non-citizens do not.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:37 pm
That's not so conclusive for me, but it's reasonable enough.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:37 pm
If an unborn child is of no legal standing, how come awards are given for damaging or killing an unborn child? But surely there is some issue besides this one that is important in picking a judge? Further, if abortion is not protected under the Constitution, it will not automatically become illegal. In fact it will stay legal given the citizens in various states want it to be.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:42 pm
As to the first question, there is a difference between civil and criminal law.

As to the others, I don't necessarily disagree.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:49 pm
There's no question that the unborn child has legal standing.

A foriegner visiting America doesn't enjoy constitutional protections that Citizens do, but that doesn't make it legal for me to kill his ass.

The only question was whether constitutional rights apply to the unborn, not whether it was legal or illegal to kill them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:58 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Not to derail this thread into an abortion discussion, but I was thinking about this the other day. Determining when a life begins is only the first step. Let's just say that life begins at conception. Is it a US citizen? According to recent decisions, the Constitution doesn't apply to non-citizens. To be a citizen one must be born in this country or naturalized. If it's not a US citizen then the state has no compelling interest to regulate a woman's bodily functions.

and there's the current push to change that to "born in the united states to native born or naturalized parents". (my wording, but essentially the idea).

as an add on to your comments, ducks;

you are right. philosophically, the "state" has no compelling interest. even if we were to say something like; "well, the state does have a vested interest in seeing that the native population continues in a strong way", it's not like there's any shortage of new born l'il weebles around here. or that the state has been very concerned with immigration of a tidal proportion.

so, i guess, realistically, the only interest the state or it's politicians has in controlling a woman's body is to appease the minority of americans that wish to refuse the safe terminating of a pregnancy on religious grounds. ie, votes.

to be fair, the pro-choice politicians do the same thing...

if i thought that we could trust the current state of affairs in the voting system, i'd be all for allowing the women of america (no dudes) to vote the federal laws on the whole issue.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:14 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
There's no question that the unborn child has legal standing.

A foriegner visiting America doesn't enjoy constitutional protections that Citizens do, but that doesn't make it legal for me to kill his ass.

The only question was whether constitutional rights apply to the unborn, not whether it was legal or illegal to kill them.

Cycloptichorn

To clarify proper reasoning on this issue, constitutional protection of the unborn would in fact make abortion illegal across the board. Overturning Roe v Wade does not do that. It would merely remove the right of a mother and doctor to kill the unborn based on the notion that a right to privacy gives her the right to do it, which I think many legal people disagree with, even some pro-abortion lawyers and judges even disagree with. Actually, the Constitution does not address abortion at all. If the constitution would apply to it at all, it seems like the right to life would be more applicable if we as a society consider the unborn child a life, and as the argument goes, that is a big disagreement.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:20 pm
Even then, though, you have competing rights. The fetus's so called right to life versus the woman's right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And this all came to be because there was a law prohibiting abortion. It was struck down. It could very well be that any new laws that are similar would also be struck down, just on different reasoning.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:24 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Even then, though, you have competing rights. The fetus's so called right to life versus the woman's right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

The womans right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is not a valid argument, otherwise drug use, prostitution, and a host of other crimes all done in private for the sake of pursuing happiness or whatever would all be sanctioned under the constitution, which is of course ridiculous.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:34 pm
okie wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Even then, though, you have competing rights. The fetus's so called right to life versus the woman's right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

The womans right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is not a valid argument, otherwise drug use, prostitution, and a host of other crimes all done in private for the sake of pursuing happiness or whatever would all be sanctioned under the constitution, which is of course ridiculous.

to you perhaps. in many places the things you mention are not crimes, and are even regulated by the government.

drug use was legal in america until around the turn of the last century.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 04:31 pm
Many of the best drugs are still completely legal. The legality of substances has little to do with this conversation.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 06:38 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I wrote that jokingly, but now I'm starting to consider the truth of the matter. It's interesting to me that we don't have a legal definition of when a person is a 'person' and when they are accorded rights under the USC.

Cycloptichorn

From Roe v. Wade:

Quote:

IX

A. The appellee and certain amici argue that the fetus is a "person" within the language and meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment. In support of this, they outline at length and in detail the well-known facts of fetal development. If this suggestion of personhood is established, the appellant's case, of course, collapses, [410 U.S. 113, 157] for the fetus' right to life would then be guaranteed specifically by the Amendment. The appellant conceded as much on reargument. 51 On the other hand, the appellee conceded on reargument 52 that no case could be cited that holds that a fetus is a person within the meaning of the Fourteenth Amendment.

The Constitution does not define "person" in so many words. Section 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment contains three references to "person." The first, in defining "citizens," speaks of "persons born or naturalized in the United States." The word also appears both in the Due Process Clause and in the Equal Protection Clause. "Person" is used in other places in the Constitution: in the listing of qualifications for Representatives and Senators, Art. I, 2, cl. 2, and 3, cl. 3; in the Apportionment Clause, Art. I, 2, cl. 3; 53 in the Migration and Importation provision, Art. I, 9, cl. 1; in the Emolument Clause, Art. I, 9, cl. 8; in the Electors provisions, Art. II, 1, cl. 2, and the superseded cl. 3; in the provision outlining qualifications for the office of President, Art. II, 1, cl. 5; in the Extradition provisions, Art. IV, 2, cl. 2, and the superseded Fugitive Slave Clause 3; and in the Fifth, Twelfth, and Twenty-second Amendments, as well as in 2 and 3 of the Fourteenth Amendment. But in nearly all these instances, the use of the word is such that it has application only postnatally. None indicates, with any assurance, that it has any possible pre-natal application. 54 [410 U.S. 113, 158]

All this, together with our observation, supra, that throughout the major portion of the 19th century prevailing legal abortion practices were far freer than they are today, persuades us that the word "person," as used in the Fourteenth Amendment, does not include the unborn. 55 This is in accord with the results reached in those few cases where the issue has been squarely presented. McGarvey v. Magee-Womens Hospital, 340 F. Supp. 751 (WD Pa. 1972); Byrn v. New York City Health & Hospitals Corp., 31 N. Y. 2d 194, 286 N. E. 2d 887 (1972), appeal docketed, No. 72-434; Abele v. Markle, 351 F. Supp. 224 (Conn. 1972), appeal docketed, No. 72-730. Cf. Cheaney v. State, ___ Ind., at ___, 285 N. E. 2d, at 270; Montana v. Rogers, 278 F.2d 68, 72 (CA7 1960), aff'd sub nom. Montana v. Kennedy, 366 U.S. 308 (1961); Keeler v. Superior Court, 2 Cal. 3d 619, 470 P.2d 617 (1970); State v. Dickinson, 28 [410 U.S. 113, 159] Ohio St. 2d 65, 275 N. E. 2d 599 (1971). Indeed, our decision in United States v. Vuitch, 402 U.S. 62 (1971), inferentially is to the same effect, for we there would not have indulged in statutory interpretation favorable to abortion in specified circumstances if the necessary consequence was the termination of life entitled to Fourteenth Amendment protection.

http://laws.findlaw.com/us/410/113.html
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 06:58 pm
okie wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

There are no absolute rights. I have the right to life, but not if I kill someone else and am sentenced to death. I have the right to life, but if I need a kidney to live, I can't demand that you give me yours. Competing interests.

But I'm going to retire my amateur law practice now, and leave this to the pros.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 07:03 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Many of the best drugs are still completely legal. The legality of substances has little to do with this conversation.

Cycloptichorn

i disagree. read the quote that i wrote that response to.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 08:16 pm
Not being a lawyer, it seems clear to me that the conjured up "right to privacy" does not allow one to commit crimes in private. A person has a right to be secure in your house and your personal belongings and so forth, obviously, but if you are committing crimes in private, per the laws enacted by the people that are perfectly legal and constitutional, it seems like the right to privacy is a hollow argument.

I suggest we forget Roe v Wade for a while and aside from the obsessed fear that the Supreme Court could someday overturn Roe v Wade, which by the way would not outlaw abortion, is there any monumental issue that the Democrats fear Alito so extremely about?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 08:19 pm
Well, that's the thing. Obviously they determined that abortion isn't a crime in and of itself, and so to regulate it was a violation of privacy.
0 Replies