Who Should We Report As An Annoyance Here First?

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:07 am
Hey, we now have a law that allows us to get rid of annoying posters here unless they post under their real name.

Oh, wait... Is this constitutional?

SOURCE

Quote:
Annoying someone via the Internet is now a federal crime.

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess.

This ridiculous prohibition, which would likely imperil much of Usenet, is buried in the so-called Violence Against Women and Department of Justice Reauthorization Act. Criminal penalties include stiff fines and two years in prison.

"The use of the word 'annoy' is particularly problematic," says Marv Johnson, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union. "What's annoying to one person may not be annoying to someone else." ...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 867 • Replies: 19
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:09 am
I delight in being a pest, so I'll volunteer as a test case.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:18 am
This is so absurd that it is funny, but, IMO, it could be a real threat to freedom. It sounds like one of those laws which would be trotted out, in specific cases, where the government is feeling threatened. I could see blogs that diss the president being forced to shut down, in order for the blogger to be free of government reprisals.

I say here that I am utilizing my inalienable right not only to be annoying, but as obnoxious as I damn please. So sue me! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:22 am
And you are very good at it.

John Smith

Laughing
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:23 am
Although it's your inalienable right, you could never be annoying, Phoenix! Even trying your best...
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:23 am
Yep, I think we've all annoyed someone here at some point. But since I enjoy it so, I will post my real name. It is Prof. BillyBobJoeBobSueBob, PhE (which stands for Perty Highly Edjecated). So I guess I'm safe now. Whew, what a relief. Won't be no g-man comin to my door.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:24 am
BBB
I've spent most of my life annoying those in power, so why should I change in my old age?

ANNOYING WOMEN OF THE WORLD UNITE!

BBB Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:27 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I've spent most of my life annoying those in power, so why should I change in my old age?

BBB Twisted Evil

Hey BBB, maybe we should picket Washington! I don't think that they would dare use water cannons or stun guns on a bunch of old ladies. If they did, boy could we make a noise in the newspapers!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:28 am
Phoenix
Phoenix32890 wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
BBB Twisted Evil

Hey BBB, maybe we should picket Washington! I don't think that they would dare use water cannons or stun guns on a bunch of old ladies. If they did, boy could we make a noise in the newspapers!

Rather than get soaked in the cold winter time, what do you think about mooning the nincompoops instead? I could throw my right breast over my shoulder for an encore.

BBB Cool
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:30 am
Quote:
Rather than get soaked in the cold winter time, what do you think about mooning the nincompoops instead?

Right on the Capitol steps. Let's go girl. That'll be a sight that they will remember forever! Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:37 am
If all you babies would grow up , follow my lead and take a mature attitude and approach to your interactions with others, this kind of thing wouldn't be necessary. Have you learned nothing by my example?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:39 am
Bear
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
If all you babies would grow up , follow my lead and take a mature attitude and approach to your interactions with others, this kind of thing wouldn't be necessary. Have you learned nothing by my example?

Yep! We learned to moon and fling breasts from our favorite rascal.

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:40 am
That sounds painful!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:49 am
Here's the relevant language.

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:03 am
Ye gods.

So, if one takes an "annoying" photo, and a third party transmits it, can one still be fined?

No way will this thing survive review.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:41 am
Not likely to be any review. Who knows about it besides us? No coverage in the media.

Hey, maybe it can just apply to A2K?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:45 am
This actually does not differ from existant statute which prohibits harrassing telephone calls. Note that the statute refers to specifically targeted communications--which is to say, emails. It does not apply to a bulletin board such as this.

Which is a damned good thing, since all of y'all annoy the Bejeebus outta me . . .
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:49 am
Actually, it is also meant for the "net" in general, since it can also apply to blogs and the like where threats (or annoyances) can be relayed. I think the idea was to expand the domestic violence law to include the internet, and I would extrapulate that to mean all forms of communication within.

(Work with me, Dog. We gotta do SOMETHING!)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:07 am
BBB
I wonder if the new law would impact pedophiles using the net to attempt to achieve contact with young people? I would certainly consider such to be a lethal annoyance.

BBB
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:39 pm
It seems to be that a fairly good case could be made that this statute does indeed apply to forums like A2K.

To the extent that this statute represents a threat to free speech there is a far greater chance that it will manifest itself in the form of a law suit filed by some crank than by the government.

This is just what we need, another manufactured right: To not be annoyed.

The fact that so many people, on this thread, are so ready to bellow "Bring it on!" to The Man, tells us more about the minimal threat of The Man, at least in this regard, than of their courage. It amazes me how many armchair revolutionaries there are among us.
0 Replies