Battlestar Galactica reimagined

Ray

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:31 am
I'm just wondering if you have seen this show before (the newer version).

I've never really seen the original, but the newer version is awesome and artistic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,667 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 12:09 pm
I saw some of the original series with Lorne Greene and Dirk Benedict. The show never really grabbed hold of me which was odd because most sci-fi programs at least can generate some feeling of interest within me. As to the newer series, I have never seen it and do not intend to...apparently the original left a much more lasting and bitter tasting impression than I had thought.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:57 pm
lol okay. Well the new one is really different from the original one, especially the storytelling and the special effects. I've never really seen a whole episode of the classic series, but the new one has a lot of character development and intriguing subplots. Well take a look at it if you got a chance and if you ever get that aftertaste out. Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:03 am
This is the edgiest show around - sleeper agents, religious fanaticism, the use of torture, factionalism, martial law, etc.

It addresses issues that other shows are afraid to touch - much like the original Star Trek in its heyday.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 04:04 pm
Agree completely DrewDad.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 04:07 pm
Very cool! So much better than the original!!

Anon
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 09:54 am
I rented the original when the new ones came out, just for comparison. The new one is definitely awesome - graphics are incredible for a cable show! Caught up on seasons 1 and 2 on netflix and now I can't wait for season 3 stuff.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 11:59 pm
I'm just on season two. It should be great.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 02:39 pm
Ray - which episode of season 2 are you at? I watched some of it - again - last night and it still gives me the shivers... There's some good stuff!!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 02:30 pm
Best show on televison IMO. I have seen all the original Battlestars and i was a bit offended at first, but they have done is amazing.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 12:36 pm
Quote:
Ray - which episode of season 2 are you at? I watched some of it - again - last night and it still gives me the shivers... There's some good stuff!!

The last one I saw may have been titled "valley of darkness"? It was the one where they found out the Cylons were on their ship and they had to fight them. Kara visited her old apartment (man she's an artist too). I can't wait for the next one, which is on today. Very Happy
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 07:59 pm
Wait, I think what I saw today was "The Valley of Darkness." Democracy in trouble?
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:48 pm
oops...just realized that i misspoke in saying season 3 was on - whereas it was just the second half of season 2 that's on right now! i wonder if they ran out of money and had to do it that way? in any case, it sure is awesome!!
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:03 pm
I know it's going to sound strange, but even though I love the:

Story (Best series writing in years)

Characters (Didn't WANT to like them, but they are too real and too well done.)

Special Effects (I figured that they would do the old BSG... recycle the same 3 battle scenes over and over and over. Boy was I wrong)

and the Actors (Other than Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell, I hd never even HEAD of any of these people I thought, how good can they be? ... Answer: Wonderful.)

The one thing that has tied them all together for me has been the music.

Granted, I am still 3/4 of a season behind, (Real life interference ... God bless TIVO) but all the music I have heard has that ghostly 'unearthly' quality about it. (Even if it feels like Enya sometimes.)

I just think that it helps set a great mood and brings it all together for me.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:12 pm
Ray: ohhh good one!!! wait til you get to the end of the first half of season 2 - what may seem good will turn out bad... hehe don't want to spoil.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 08:16 pm
Fedr, I agree very much that the music is well done. I mean, when something important or critical happens, there's the drum beat...

Quote:
ohhh good one!!! wait til you get to the end of the first half of season 2 - what may seem good will turn out bad... hehe don't want to spoil.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the arrow or the president. Laughing

Or maybe Adama does something when he recovers.

I have a feeling the characters are going to be a lot more developed. I can't wait... Very Happy
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:52 pm
yeah character development is awesome for sure. whoever did casting did a great job. i especially think the cylon, #6, was an excellent choice (not just because she's hot haha) b/c her voice has this enchanting quality, it's very convincing how one could follow her instructions so easily (ok so maybe it is her sexuality??! Smile i'm really happy to see mary mcdonnell play the president too - been a BIG fan since her Dances w/Wolves days.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 02:40 pm
Quote:
yeah character development is awesome for sure. whoever did casting did a great job. i especially think the cylon, #6, was an excellent choice (not just because she's hot haha)

lol yeah, enchanting and scary at the same time. Laughing

Quote:
i'm really happy to see mary mcdonnell play the president too - been a BIG fan since her Dances w/Wolves days.

Yeah, for sure. I keep thinking whether the president is smart or foolish, then again as Starbuck said, "the cylons have a way of making everyone look foolish."
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:40 am
Quote:
Yeah, for sure. I keep thinking whether the president is smart or foolish, then again as Starbuck said, "the cylons have a way of making everyone look foolish."

excellent quote, Ray!! the pres definitely looks like she's got something up her sleeve. i was reading the Wired the other day and they had a column comparing the president in BG and the one in Commander in Chief, and i was like, no comparison!! geena davis is a good actor but c'mon, she ain't in charge of the fate of the humanity!!

this is a random comment but i think that it's funny they can jump these gigantic ships in the middle of the space but their medical instruments and skills look pretty much the same as today. what's up with that??! Smile
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 06:30 pm
Quote:
this is a random comment but i think that it's funny they can jump these gigantic ships in the middle of the space but their medical instruments and skills look pretty much the same as today. what's up with that??!

lol. You're right, it's nuts.

And in the episodes where they're stranded in Kobol, their codes for identifying allies were: "flash!" "thunder!" Laughing
0 Replies