My Lai massacre hero dies at 62

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 07:07 pm
dyslexia wrote:
that something really wrong was the norm, was a daily occurence and was MINOR in the scheme of things. I am no apologist but I saw far worse things as routine.

Aarghhh.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 07:21 pm
so sorry.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 07:22 pm
I think the wabbit has something stuck in it's throat ... Coughing up a hair ball maybe Smile

Anon
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:17 pm
dyslexia wrote:
so sorry.

Huh?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:20 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
I think the wabbit has something stuck in it's throat ... Coughing up a hair ball maybe Smile

Anon

Not at all.

What DO you say about facts like those?

I thought I had some idea about how awful Vietnam was....(insofar as one palely can when one has not experienced it)...but when I hear My Lai was a not especially bad quotidian sorta thing....what are you supposed to say?

I wish you guys would say these things more, as it might give some of the rabid pro war idiots here something to correct their "romantic" notions.

I can see why you don't, though.

Sigh.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:30 pm
dlowan wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

Anon

Not at all.

What DO you say about facts like those?

I thought I had some idea about how awful Vietnam was....(insofar as one palely can when one has not experienced it)...but when I hear My Lai was a not especially bad quotidian sorta thing....what are you supposed to say?

I wish you guys would say these things more, as it might give some of the rabid pro war idiots here something to correct their "romantic" notions.

I can see why you don't, though.

Sigh.

Unfortunately D, the chickenhearts think they know more about how wonderful war is. How manly it is and all the glory to be had, blasting away for mom and country. It's not good for me to get started about this.

Anon
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:43 pm
Yeah...I know.

Sigh.

But, it is a pity these people will not really hear the truth.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 11:51 pm
Re: My Lai massacre hero dies at 62
detano inipo wrote:
It looks like the whistle blower had a more difficult time than the war criminals. A sad story indeed.
My Lai massacre hero dies at 62

Hugh Thompson Jnr, a former US military helicopter pilot who helped stop one of the most infamous massacres of the Vietnam War has died, aged 62.

Mr Thompson and his crew came upon US troops killing civilians at the village of My Lai on 16 March 1968.

He put his helicopter down between the soldiers and villagers, ordering his men to shoot their fellow Americans if they attacked the civilians.
A platoon commander, Lt William Calley, was later court-martialed and sentenced to life in prison for his role in the killings.

President Richard Nixon commuted his sentence to three years' house arrest.
Mr Thompson was shunned for years by fellow soldiers, received death threats, and was once told by a congressman that he was the only American who should be punished over My Lai.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4589486.stm

It's not at all a sad story, it's uplifting and inspiring.

In the midst of insane violence, Thompson and the rest of his crew (let's not forget them) held on to their humanity and their morality and did the absolute right thing.

Should they have been heralded as heroes from the very start? Indeed, but clearly that is not why any of them took their stand.

Life doesn't reveal itself on the pages of some cosmic comic book. The good guys don't always receive the ticker tape parade, or get high schools named after them.

What do they get?

If you believe - as do I - in some form of existence beyond this particular plane, they get:

1) A whole lot of points in their favor when the final reckoning comes.
2) A huge karmic credit

If you believe that this (life) is it, brother, they get:

1) The ability to sleep at night
2) The incredibly powerful knowledge that when sorely tested, they passed with flying colors
3) To reassure and inspire others

When you and I pass on to whatever awaits us, will the world even notice our passing let alone count us among the heroes?
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:26 am
A very interesting book to read is called "Four Hours in My Lai: the My Lai Masacre."
As a career member of the military and a history teacher, I found the book to be very informative. As was pointed out, Calley was also a victim. His company commander constantly belittled and degraded him in front of his troops. This is as wrong as wrong gets. The young LT had almost no chance of getting the respect of his troops. I also blame the NCO's. The senior NCO's never stood up and took proper control of that platoon.
Those of you who are or have been in the military know exactly of what I speak.
Just for claification- There are pro military and pro war. Please do not confuse the two!
I have the utmost respect for people like Thompson.

As was pointed out, there were other events similar to My Lai. It wasn't the first or the last. It was just the most publicized. Events like that happened on both sides. The North Vietnamese killed the south Vietnamese when they aided the US troops. Very similar to what insurgents are doing in Iraq.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:48 am
ralpheb wrote:
A very interesting book to read is called "Four Hours in My Lai: the My Lai Masacre."
As a career member of the military and a history teacher, I found the book to be very informative. As was pointed out, Calley was also a victim. His company commander constantly belittled and degraded him in front of his troops. This is as wrong as wrong gets. The young LT had almost no chance of getting the respect of his troops. I also blame the NCO's. The senior NCO's never stood up and took proper control of that platoon.
Those of you who are or have been in the military know exactly of what I speak.
Just for claification- There are pro military and pro war. Please do not confuse the two!
I have the utmost respect for people like Thompson.

As was pointed out, there were other events similar to My Lai. It wasn't the first or the last. It was just the most publicized. Events like that happened on both sides. The North Vietnamese killed the south Vietnamese when they aided the US troops. Very similar to what insurgents are doing in Iraq.

well stated.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:10 pm
In a war, both sides become monsters. The winner has an easier time to whitewash his deeds. The loser is hung from the nearest tree.
With today's journalists, it is more difficult to appear noble. If Abu Ghraib would have happened without photos taken by morons, it would have been hidden from the naive public.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:52 pm
In my opinion it is too easy to say, 'Both sides do it.'

Here is another description of events of that day:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/doubleissue/heroes/thompson.htm
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:00 pm
jjorge wrote:
In my opinion it is too easy to say, 'Both sides do it.'

Here is another description of events of that day:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/doubleissue/heroes/thompson.htm

good item jjorge, thanks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:31 pm
detano inipo wrote:
In a war, both sides become monsters. The winner has an easier time to whitewash his deeds. The loser is hung from the nearest tree.

This is just another variant on that hoary old chestnut (and a whorey one, too), that the victors write the history. As can be seen from the simple-minded metaphor in the third sentence, one has to reduce complexities to a witless statement in order to support the thesis. There are so many reasons why this is not true, that i'm not going to waste the time here to point them out. I also doubt, given my experience, that this member would listen.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:45 pm
Setanta wrote:
detano inipo wrote:

This is just another variant on that hoary old chestnut (and a whorey one, too), that the victors write the history. As can be seen from the simple-minded metaphor in the third sentence, one has to reduce complexities to a witless statement in order to support the thesis. There are so many reasons why this is not true, that i'm not going to waste the time here to point them out. I also doubt, given my experience, that this member would listen.

OK, my friend, tell me your take on the situation. Simply attacking the poster is not good enough.
Do you really think that the Allies did no wrong? We know all about the atrocities the other side commited. To think that our boys never commited a crime is naive.
btw, the 'nearest tree' is just an expression. Don't split hairs.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:45 am
FORT BLISS, Tex., Jan. 7 -- The only officer charged in a 2002 Afghanistan prisoner abuse case will not face a court-martial.

Capt. Christopher M. Beiring said Army prosecutors told him on Friday that the charges of dereliction of duty and making a false official statement have been dropped by Fort Bliss officials.

Beiring was in charge of a Cincinnati-based reservist military police company stationed at a detention center in Bagram, Afghanistan, when two prisoners died in December 2002. Beiring and 10 of his soldiers were charged in the case. Four military intelligence interrogators from Fort Bragg, N.C., were also charged in the investigation.

An Army colonel assigned to investigate the charges against Beiring, 39, recommended last month that he not face a court-martial.

In a lengthy report about the case, Lt. Col. Thomas S. Berg said that Beiring's leadership at Bagram may not have been perfect but that he did the best he could despite being "sorely challenged at every step."

Beiring contended that he had insufficient Army training to lead the reservists from the 377th Military Police Company.

Four of Beiring's soldiers were acquitted; charges against two others were dropped before the cases were taken to trial. Two soldiers pleaded guilty, and one was convicted by an Army jury. One soldier, Sgt. Alan J. Driver, is set to stand trial on abuse charges in February.

Three of the military intelligence interrogators have pleaded guilty, and the other is awaiting trial. Like Beiring's soldiers, they had been charged with abuse and other counts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 08:49 am
detano
If you will read Setanta's post again, I think you may see you missed the point he was making.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:00 am
edgarblythe wrote:
detano
If you will read Setanta's post again, I think you may see you missed the point he was making.

edgar, you are right. I have no idea what that post was about.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:55 pm
dyslexia wrote:
good item jjorge, thanks.

Hi dys, long time no see.

Hope you and Diane are doing well in ABQ

Hello as well to the curmudgeon above. :-)
0 Replies