Do you own a Guardian Angel?

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:04 pm
Re: Do you own a Guardian Angel?
Noddy24 wrote:
In the present spiritual turmoil at A2K I may be putting the cat among the pigeons by asking, "Do you own a Guardian Angel?" Believe me, my motive is curiosity rather than mischief making.

Over the last few years I've encountered a number of people--church-goers and self-proclaimed spiritually-talented, free-lance worshippers--who believe that they have been assigned a personal, full-time Guardian Angel.

Some of these people announce their ownership with angel pins or angel pendants or other angel amulets.

Angel Owners frequently believe that while other people may lack heavenly protection, the Angel Owners are blessed because they are worthy to be blessed.

I know of one woman who has decorated her new-born daughters room with more than 25 angels in tin, pewter, crystal, plaster of paris, plastic....

Personally, if I were ranking depth of abysmal supersition, I'd rank a Lucky Angel medallion well below a four leafed clover or the left hind foot of a self-sacrificing rabbit. Also, personally, I follow the example of Br'er Bear and just "lay low", keeping my opinions to myself.

Do you think you have a full-time, personal Guardian Angel? Does anyone?

Gosh.

I guess this means that all the babies who die of malnutrition and preventable illnesses in third world countries, the 6 million Jews and however many millions of other people died in the holocaust, the 20 million Russians who died in WW II, all the people currently dying in genocides and wars around the world, all the kids being abused, just to mention a few folk, are not "blessed".

No, I have my faults, but I am not so blindingly ignorant as to believe I have a personal guardian angel.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:08 pm
Bookmark.....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:21 pm
Knowing Jesus is all I need - cross works when I want to project a message and some folks talked me going to one of those funky spiritual fairs where I was convinced to get a reading - I have like 3 guides they say but I have my doubts on that kinda stuff.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:23 pm
Diane wrote:
Yikes, so sorry!! Embarrassed Rolling Eyes
The post just before this was actually my post. Osso is staying with us, so we log in and out depending on who is using this computer. I forgot to log Osso out and log in under my own name.

Osso, I'm sure, will have her own opinion and I would never assume to answer for her. I respect her far too much for that.

oh that's funny can Osso type for Dys? that would be way funny
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:24 pm
We would pick it up right away :-)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:34 pm
Hey Husker, Intrepid's so right--nobody could write while trying to impersonate Dys. It would be funny to see a thread with a contest where people try--the voting would be hilarious.

Deb, you succinctly said what I tried to say about the sort of 'specialty religion' so many claim to have. It is arrogance of the highest order.

On the other hand, I think we've all expereinced moments when it felt like someone was looking over us. A collective intelligence? I have no idea.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 08:36 pm
I dont believe in the 'guardian angel" idea.. but I do believe in spirit guides.

Essentially, the spirit guide is a collective energy that surrounds you and helps give 'oomph' to the gut feelings and natural reactions we have , to steer you in life.

I at one time had a ..... i guess you could call it a vision , for lack of better terms, of the image of my spirit guide.
Thin, very tall very DARK striking black woman. Dressed as a gypsy , in this long dark indigo blue dress with brass bangle bracelets.

She was standing in a black clearing and there was a fog around her that was almost thick enough to walk on , it seemed.
The explanation she gave for her being there stunned me.

I began to do alot of research into the thought of " spirit guides and guardian angels" and came to my own conclusion of who she was.

She had a particular scent to her that I sometimes smell in random situations. On many occasions, this smell accompanies a very HOT room. Not heat hot. Just... energy hot... if that makes sense.
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 12:18 am
I do believe in Guardian Angels & Spirit Guides.
I have encountered both in my life.
And my life has been enriched by those experiences. Very Happy
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 12:26 am
when the readers said I was like a reborn Shaman like 4 times, that was to much and that my guides also said it was true - yikes
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 03:15 am
I own a guardian angel.

He is about 4 1/2 inches tall and painted black from head to toe.

I sometimes use him in My rituals, as an altarpiece.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:10 am
Intrepid wrote:

The pendants, amulets and pins sound more like a superstition than a belief in a Guardian Angel.

The difference being....?
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 10:39 am
The difference being that many of those who believe in guardian angels
see this belief as following from their faith. In the case of Christians, they
base this belief on the references to angels in scripture where, in some
instances, they perform as protectors.

Now if (and only if) you embrace a belief system that includes angels,
then they are not superstition.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:34 am
I will go with George's answer
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:37 am
Ditto to that.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:00 pm
George wrote:

No, more like, if you embrace a belief system that includes angels, you will deny your superstitions are superstitions with special pleading.

I would suggest that by your criteria, there would be no such thing as 'superstition'. Who see's their own beliefs as superstitions?

Unless of course, you are suggesting superstition has no objective definable meaning and can only be applied in a subjective context, which doesn't seem to be the case...
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:20 pm
Quote:
Over the last few years I've encountered a number of people--church-goers and self-proclaimed spiritually-talented, free-lance worshippers--who believe that they have been assigned a personal, full-time Guardian Angel.

Some of these people announce their ownership with angel pins or angel pendants or other angel amulets.

Angel Owners frequently believe that while other people may lack heavenly protection, the Angel Owners are blessed because they are worthy to be blessed.

There is nothing I have ever seen in the bible to support this belief. I do believe in angels because the bible talks about them, and because I believe the bible. However, to announce ownership with angel pins and such in my oppinion is prideful. It's kind of like saying, "Ha ha, I'm better than you... I have a guarding angel".
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:06 pm
Doktor S wrote:
George wrote:

No, more like, if you embrace a belief system that includes angels, you will deny your superstitions are superstitions with special pleading.

I would suggest that by your criteria, there would be no such thing as 'superstition'. Who see's their own beliefs as superstitions?

Unless of course, you are suggesting superstition has no objective definable meaning and can only be applied in a subjective context, which doesn't seem to be the case...

Superstition usually means believing that certain things have effects that
cannot logically be attributed to them. Walking under a ladder, for
example is not logically related to bad fortune. So far, that seems
objective, no?

It gets subjective when someone embraces a faith. You may contend
(and probably do) that that in itself is illogical and everything that
proceeds from it must be illogical. Then everything connected to faith is
illogical, angels included. Angels are superstition.

For many believers, the angel is not superstition; it is a part of the
belief system. The angel can protect because the angel has been so
empowered by God. A rabbit's foot has no power because God has not
given it any. If you grant the system, the rest follows. Otherwise not.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:13 pm
Yes..the thing is, that is true of ANY system of faith.

The believers in each wish to claim that all others are wrong...subtly, otr grossly, and call each other's beliefs superstition, or heresy, or apostasy, or infidelism...and on and on.

The believers in guardian angels have no more right to claim status for their belief than believers in rabbits' feet, or virgin sacrifice, or goats' entrails.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:14 pm
I am not sure tha the angels would be any happier with being "owned", by the way, than the rabbits' feet are.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:20 pm
Dlowan noted:

Quote:
I am not sure tha the angels would be any happier with being "owned", by the way, than the rabbits' feet are.

Sometimes I think self-proclaimed Angel Owners are Corporal Tails wagging Spiritual Dogs.

Still, healthy egos are Good Things.
0 Replies