Do you own a Guardian Angel?

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:08 am
In the present spiritual turmoil at A2K I may be putting the cat among the pigeons by asking, "Do you own a Guardian Angel?" Believe me, my motive is curiosity rather than mischief making.

Over the last few years I've encountered a number of people--church-goers and self-proclaimed spiritually-talented, free-lance worshippers--who believe that they have been assigned a personal, full-time Guardian Angel.

Some of these people announce their ownership with angel pins or angel pendants or other angel amulets.

Angel Owners frequently believe that while other people may lack heavenly protection, the Angel Owners are blessed because they are worthy to be blessed.

I know of one woman who has decorated her new-born daughters room with more than 25 angels in tin, pewter, crystal, plaster of paris, plastic....

Personally, if I were ranking depth of abysmal supersition, I'd rank a Lucky Angel medallion well below a four leafed clover or the left hind foot of a self-sacrificing rabbit. Also, personally, I follow the example of Br'er Bear and just "lay low", keeping my opinions to myself.

Do you think you have a full-time, personal Guardian Angel? Does anyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,204 • Replies: 78
No top replies

material girl

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:13 am
My gaurdian angel whispers to me 'dont waste money on religious /spiritual/plastic rubbish, the winning lottery numbers are.....' then he fades out.

Erm, sometimes I think I have a guardian angel, but they havnt been doing a particularly good job recently, arnt they supposed to keep you happy and guide you in the right direction??
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:14 am
I think that we all have the potential to have angel protection. I do not believe that anybody could actually claim ownership of such.

The pendants, amulets and pins sound more like a superstition than a belief in a Guardian Angel. Then again, people wear crosses etc. around their necks. If they are used to identify themselves to their "Guardian Angel", I find that kind of funny.

A true faith and belief in God should be enough for anyone. If He wants to provide special protection by His angels, He will do so without idols in the form of amulets.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:15 am
I have a guardian angel pin on the visor of my car, it is smalls and sits over me... the only reason I had it there was because in my last car accident the car was demolished but the angel pin still stayed over me and I left the car without a scratch....

I also have angel cards

that;s about it, I am agnostic, don't know if I really believe in it, but sometimes it makes me feel safe
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:17 am
No, and nope. I have enough dealing with my own idiocyncracies to have to worry about the care and feeding of any Guardian Angel of mine. Besides, I would not wish that job on my worst enemy! Laughing
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:21 am
Not to make light of your question because I am thinking you mean it in a serious vein, but when I was about 7 I was climbing down out of the top bunkbed and I balanced using my shins against the ladder to talk to my sister. I swayed back and felt I was going to fall and land head-first on the floor. Suddenly I felt something strange, almost like a hand pushing my back until I regained my balance and tipping me forward to grab onto the ladder again. I felt convinced it was my own guardian angel who protected me. I know it sounds silly and I was a child, but not being a huge religious believer, I am still charmed by that one incident and my secret belief (I never told anyone) that I had an angel by my side.

Of course I am skeptical that there are angels but I like the idea that I don't know everything and can be surprised and tickled by things that are not what I consider normal/everyday. I hear stories of people grateful to "guardian angels" for this and that and I find there's nothing wrong with having fancies like this as long as it's not forced down anyones throat. Belief in something, like angels and religion, are not an altogether bad bad thing when not abused and they are built around hope.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:27 am
Hmmm, never thought if I had one really.

When I was a little girl, one of my grandmothers would come visit for a week at a time. She would always come to tuck me in, lean in close and kiss me and say "sleep with angels"

I don't know why, but that just totally creeped me out. I'd lie in bed looking around for someone who was out in the dark watching me. Then, I'd stare at the glow in the dark crucifix with the Palm Sunday reed nailed behind it and would get really freaked out. I don't want to think anything is watching over me while I'm sleeping.

I always thought the guardian angel idea was from the Old World. Both my grandmothers were from Poland, and neither ever had much interest in becoming Americanized. My grandmother who lived right across from us had those old world Madonna and Child things around, very Byzantine and to me, kinda dark and scary.

Now, when I think about it, people who have those pins and stuff, it all seems so Holly Hobby, Precious Moments like.

No, I don't think I have one.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:27 am
Heeven- I agree that the belief can be harmless, as long as the person does not take the idea too seriously. How different is the concept of guardian angels, with any other superstition? The only difference between an angel and a rabbit's foot, is that angels are recognized by certain religious groups, and rabbit's feet (except for the feet of a certain wabbit of our acquaintance :wink: ) aren't.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:20 pm
No; and don't get to close to the edge of the cliff.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:17 pm
No. Not me. Like Chai, the idea of angels watching me kinda freaked me out.

I do have a saint hanging around me neck though. Yes, it is superstitious to a point. That is okay. It was given to me by someone who fascinated me with his ideas of devils, angels, saints, and sinners. I always liked the idea of a saint by my side. The pendant triggers certain experiences and feelings in me that I like to use. It reminds me to be nice to myself.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:29 pm
Nope. No guardian angel here. Jesus does it all for me! :wink:
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:50 pm
The Lovely Bride -- who is not Christian -- has a Parking Angel who helps
her find spaces in Boston. Seriously. I'm unconvinced of the protective
power of my own Guardian Angel, so I keep my skepticism to myself.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:03 pm
I don't, but my oldest daughter does.

In his first job out of college, Mr B was very, very close to an older woman at his workplace. She had three sons of her own but she was a second mother to many of the younger people on the staff. She was particularly close to a few of the group that all started working there at about the same time, including Mr B.

She was diagnosed with cancer and eventually became very ill. One evening, Mr B returned from work and told me that S had passed away the night before. A couple weeks later I found out I was pregnant, as did one of Mr B's female coworkers. We both calculated that we concieved the night S passed away. S knew that both Mr B and his coworker were trying to start families. I always thought that K was, in some small way, a gift from S as she passed. I continue to use her in my prayers when I need extra help in looking out for K and her sister.

edit: I should add that we have no momento or keepsake of S, we keep her in our hearts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:17 pm
Boy, Noddy, you've received some lovely responses. I have given some thought to a guardian angel, but I put it down to superstition more than angels. Still, when trying to get pregnant with my first son, I wore a little bone carving of an Indian baby in a papoose. It became iconic to me even though I realized that it was superstition on my part.

Guardian angels seem innocent enough, but when I hear someone say, during a horrible catstrophe, that he didn't know why god spared him, while thousands around him died, I become almost ill at the arrogance.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:22 pm
Yikes, so sorry!! Embarrassed Rolling Eyes
The post just before this was actually my post. Osso is staying with us, so we log in and out depending on who is using this computer. I forgot to log Osso out and log in under my own name.

Osso, I'm sure, will have her own opinion and I would never assume to answer for her. I respect her far too much for that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:36 pm
I let a lot of things co-exist in my consciousness, and while I don't believe in guardian angels per se I do have a similar story to J_B's. One of my students in L.A. was a particularly gifted girl who had just never really been challenged or given the tools she needed and when she did, she just blossomed. She was one of my first students and we were very close. She had gotten married VERY early (17, I think) to a man older than her and very controlling. During the time I knew her she got a divorce and was really striking out on her own and doing well. She had a little son who she treasured, and we talked about motherhood a lot -- she really thought I should get pregnant already.

After she graduated she came back often to talk and catch up, and I was waiting for one of her visits to tell her I was pregnant. But I hadn't seen her in several months when I learned she had died in a car crash. It was pretty devastating for me, but one thing that kept bothering me, strangely, was not just that I didn't have a chance to say goodbye (who would think to say goodbye to a healthy 20-year-old?) but that I never was able to tell her that I was pregnant. I really cried for the first time when I found out that the trusty Deaf grapevine had done its job, and she did know after all, and she was so happy for me.

I've definitely (without trying to quantify it) felt Perla's presence throughout my pregnancy and still do occasionally. She disapproves of some of my parenting methods; especially, she thinks I should be more strict and that sozlet should have an earlier bedtime. But overall she's a loving and benevolent presence.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:43 pm
sozobe wrote:

... She disapproves of some of my parenting methods; especially, she thinks I should be more strict and that sozlet should have an earlier bedtime. But overall she's a loving and benevolent presence.

That made me smile, Soz.

We've occasionally had contact with S's husband and sons. They've remarked how much S cared for Mr B, as if he were one of her own. We think she's keeping an eye on all of us.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:44 pm
I've especially enjoyed these last few responses.

My middle child is "challenged" in a lot of ways,
but I've always felt he was under special protection.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:50 pm
I think that there are spirits out there that can "interfere" with our lives. Angels, spirits, whatever.

I've lived with them my entire life. Scared me a lot when I was little, but you get used to it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:53 pm
George wrote:
The Lovely Bride -- who is not Christian -- has a Parking Angel who helps
her find spaces in Boston. Seriously. I'm unconvinced of the protective
power of my own Guardian Angel, so I keep my skepticism to myself.

Great Squat, I need a spot!

Squat is the goddess of parking. Very Happy
0 Replies