Drug pricing and low income seniors

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:37 pm
This began as a reply to the Fossamax topic, in discussion of the high price of the drug, potentially $500 per month, but I wanted to hear from more of our Experts about this.

I don't mean to gripe or bring up politics, but it really disgusts me, the politics and bottom-line figures behind the price of these necessary drugs.

The elderly who can't afford the ridiculous prices of these drugs (prices brought about by greed and financial sponsorship of the republican party) are going to drastic and sometimes dangerous measures to get them. Either that, or they seek less-effective alternative options or just not treat their condition altogether. All this, here, of all places. We're extended all over the world yet there is a long list of domestic issues that are getting worse and worse and not recieving any TLC from anyone.

I will concede that, politically speaking, I only have the point of view and information of a layperson, albeit an educated one, but isn't this how it works (or isn't working)? The republican party, around the little finger of the prescription drug companies, will not lift one of theirs (fingers) to remedy this situation. And then there's the insurance companies, who gleefully accept our premiums throughout our lives, and then when we're given an expensive prescription, they're apt to do everything they can not to pay for it.

I'm mad. What can I do, other than sock away tons of money for my own retirement and run for president? I think I'd be promptly assassinated if I ever even got near the white house; most ethically-driven people would. It's really sad.

I'm sad. But more mad than sad. Madder than sadder.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,045 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:42 pm
Re: Drug pricing and low income seniors
subtleone wrote:
I will concede that, politically speaking, I only have the point of view and information of a layperson, albeit an educated one, but isn't this how it works (or isn't working)? The republican party, around the little finger of the prescription drug companies, will not lift one of theirs (fingers) to remedy this situation. And then there's the insurance companies, who gleefully accept our premiums throughout our lives, and then when we're given an expensive prescription, they're apt to do everything they can not to pay for it.

This is supposed to represent an "educated" viewpoint??? I don't see the Democrats coming up with any viable alternatives to the drug pricing problem. They're just as wrapped up with the drug iand insurance industries as the Republicans are. Yeash...
0 Replies

subtleone

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:47 pm
Not educated in the ins and outs of politics, just not a dimwit.

And I don't mean to blast the republican party; I mention them because they're the ones currently in power, though of course this can be traced back decades.

Yeash.
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:49 pm
subtleone wrote:
This began as a reply to the Fossamax topic, in discussion of the high price of the drug, potentially $500 per month, but I wanted to hear from more of our Experts about this.

I don't mean to gripe or bring up politics, but it really disgusts me, the politics and bottom-line figures behind the price of these necessary drugs.

The elderly who can't afford the ridiculous prices of these drugs (prices brought about by greed and financial sponsorship of the republican party) are going to drastic and sometimes dangerous measures to get them. Either that, or they seek less-effective alternative options or just not treat their condition altogether.

I'm mad. What can I do, other than sock away tons of money for my own retirement and run for president? I think I'd be promptly assassinated if I ever even got near the white house; most ethically-driven people would. It's really sad.

===============================================

Quote:
What can I do, other than sock away tons of money for my own retirement and run for president?

========================================================

Oh NO!!! BEFORE you run for President and BEFORE you criticize ANYBODY get the spelling of the GODDAMN MEDICATION RIGHT.

You didn't so there's no further PROOF required that you can't be SERIOUS ---- at the most MOSSSST(????) CHARITABLE reading.....

BYE BYE SmileSmileSmile
0 Replies

subtleone

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:52 pm
Wow. I'm offensive. I didn't realize this but thanks to all for pointing this out.
0 Replies

subtleone

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:55 pm
Louise_R_Heller wrote:
subtleone wrote:

The elderly who can't afford the ridiculous prices of these drugs (prices brought about by greed and financial sponsorship of the republican party) are going to drastic and sometimes dangerous measures to get them. Either that, or they seek less-effective alternative options or just not treat their condition altogether.

Quote:
What can I do, other than sock away tons of money for my own retirement and run for president?

Oh NO!!! BEFORE you run for President and BEFORE you criticize ANYBODY get the spelling of the GODDAMN MEDICATION RIGHT.

You didn't so there's no further PROOF required that you can't be SERIOUS ---- at the most MOSSSST(????) CHARITABLE reading.....

BYE BYE SmileSmileSmile

Not that our current president would get it right, goddamn it.

Hey, this offensive thing is fun.
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 08:09 pm
subtleone wrote:
Louise_R_Heller wrote:
subtleone wrote:

Quote:

BYE BYE SmileSmileSmile

Not that our current president would get it right, goddamn it.

Hey, this offensive thing is fun.

========================================================================================================================
.............to me personally your illiteracy and consequent incoherent commentary are a matter of initial sadness, considering the taxes paid for schooling --- nevertheless.......I'm ALSO VERY HAPPY that it's only illiterates like yourself who will speak against the efforts made by BOTH taxpayers AND insurers AND pharmaceutical companies AND any number of intermediaries seeking to obtain generic drugs for emergency cases for AIDS and the like.

In brief I have NO SYMPATHY FOR YOUR ALLEGED CASE Smile
0 Replies

subtleone

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 08:20 pm
Louise,

I have obviously hit a nerve, and for that I apologize, as that was not at all my intention. I take everything that I read on this forum very seriously, but at the same time, I take none of it personally, and hope that you would consider this approach.

My belief is simply that there are elderly people in compromising situations. I'm not saying that people aren't trying to do something about it, or that we haven't thrown money at it; I'm just saying I have the hope that they one day will have the quality of life that I believe they are entitled to.

I am not illiterate and am sorry to have given you that impression.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 09:21 pm
If you don't have insurance that pays for this medication,
it will cost you about $800 for a one year's supply of the 75 mg tablet when bought from several online USA pharmacies. This is a huge amount of money for Fosamax, which for many women may not even prevent or even retard the progression of osteoporosis.

What is needed is a generic verison of Fosamax.
0 Replies

Louise R Heller

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:37 pm
Hello Subtleone and your comment is appreciated.

No, not "a nerve" simply an observation as I've looked into the subject at some depth.

Thank you again Smile
0 Replies