Would THIS Put You To Sleep???

NickFun

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:55 am
I was at a friends house the other night as she was singing her baby off to sleep with Brahm's Lullaby. The song goes as such:

Rock-a-bye baby, in the tree top
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall
And down will come baby, cradle and all

The beginning of this ballad is indeed relaxing. The kid is rocking gently with the wind and it's very peaceful. But it takes on a whole new significance toward the end of the song when the branch breaks and the baby comes crashing to the ground! I can only envision the remains of the baby lying there in a pool of blood with a tree branch sticking through the cradle! This is one of the most gruesome things that can happen to either a baby or a parent! And we expect this disturbing nightmare to put kids to SLEEP???!!! This song must have been written by either a child abuser or a sociopath!

Of course, even bedtime stories such as "Hansel & Gretel" are supposed to lull children off to slumber. Here is the story of two children who rob the lady, eat her house then throw her into an oven and watch her cook to death!

Is it any wonder kids are messed up?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,803 • Replies: 21
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:58 am
Oh funny.

Mister wolf had the same reaction when i was humming that tune to Bean when she was very little.

he said: Thanks for filling our daughter with images of a broken bed in a tree that will drop her anyminute. YOU will pay THAT psychology bill...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:59 am
Or the Little old Lady that lived in the shoe.

too many damn children as the rhyme goes, so she beats them and puts them to bed.
Confused
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 12:01 pm
They work because kids are all messed up. No putting the cart before the horse, now -- children are crazy little critters.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 12:02 pm
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 12:09 pm
>giggle<
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 12:28 pm
Oh, the horror! Wake me when it's over!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 01:05 pm
That "lullaby" is actually an action game.

"When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall"

Baby "falls" and the adult "catches"--then hugs.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 01:21 pm
..."who chopped off their tails with a carving knife"
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 01:26 pm
Ellpus, that line always made me think of my mother. She hates mice.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:05 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
That "lullaby" is actually an action game.

"When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall"

Baby "falls" and the adult "catches"--then hugs.

Keep in mind, if the adult catches then the adult gets whacked with the branch. It's a no-win situtation.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 05:50 pm
Quote:
Keep in mind, if the adult catches then the adult gets whacked with the branch. It's a no-win situtation.

My family tree is more fun than your family tree.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 09:16 pm
I grew up on those tales and nursery rhymes, and I don't believe it is harmful for a kid to know them. What offends me are realistic computerized games, in which kids become efficient at slaughtering the target figures.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 01:56 pm
There was an old lady who lived in a shoe
She had so many children
she didn't know what to do.
She fed them some broth without any bread
And whipped them all soundly and sent them to bed.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:42 pm
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall....
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:50 pm
And once Gretel was inside, she intended to shut the oven and let her bake in it, and then she would eat her, too. But Gretel saw what she had in mind, and said: "I do not know how I am to do it; how do I get in?" "Silly goose," said the old woman. "The door is big enough; just look, I can get in myself!" and she crept up and thrust her head into the oven. Then Gretel gave her a push that drove her far into it, and shut the iron door, and fastened the bolt. Oh then she began to howl quite horribly, but Gretel ran away, and the godless witch was miserably burnt to death.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:03 pm
Not to mention the whole part about the parents abandoning Hansel and Gretel in the forest.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 03:06 pm
little red riding hood whos grandmother gets eaten by a wolf, only to find out she was still alive because the wolf got cut open so she could get out?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 04:18 pm
Let's talk about Snow White. She lived with seven men in the forest. Either she was promiscuous or they were gay.

Then after she ate the poisoned apple and "died," the guys put her in a glass coffin, presumably so they could watch her decompose.

And then some weird Prince comes along, sees a dead body and kisses it.

There are so many things wrong with this story, I hardly know which is the worst.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 04:41 pm
"Ring around the Rosy, a pocket full of posies, ashes, ashes, we all fall down" refers to the Black Plague!
0 Replies