MALNOURISHED ELDERLY PEOPLE

Badboy

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 08:22 am
One problem elderly people might have is malnourishment, it seems some elderly don't eat properly,(Thats what happened to a neighbour of mine,she ended up in an old people's home) causing health problems.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,144 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 08:37 am
With the elderly, there are many reasons why they may become malnourished. The most obvious one is economics. Some of the elderly, living on small pensions, do not have the funds, after other costs are considered, to purchase sufficient and healthful food to feed themselves.

Another is debility. Of then these people have the money, but do not have the wherewithal to shop, bring home, and prepare helathful meals.

A third problem is dementia. Sometimes people have enough food in the house, but literally, forget to eat.

I had this problem with my mom who is now in assisted living. I shopped for her, and in addition, whe had "Meals on Wheels" brought to her a few times a week. In addition, five days a week she got her lunches at the senior center that she attended.

In the last year I noticed that when I came to see her. often I would find the food that I brought her, the week before, in the refrigerator, uneaten. It happened so gradually, that it took me awhile to realize what was happening.
Badboy

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 08:59 am
They are alsdo elderly people who say`I don't feel hungry.

Interesting?

I think the reasons you mentioned were part of the problem with my neighbour, who had restricted arteries in her head as well.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 09:06 am
Not "feeling hungry" can be a sign of dementia as well.

BUT- as people age, thier bodies use less calories over all.
Lack of movement, and truthfully.. lack of brain activity , ( well not LACK of.. but a decreased AMOUNT of..) can be the biggest reason in an otherwise healthy person , to not FEEL hungry.

The body gets hungry when it is running low on immediate calories to burn before it taps into stored calories.

But the reasons I have given would only cause a small effect in someones health...... if any at all.
The end result would only be smaller meals.. and not entire DAYS with no food as someone with dementia might have.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 09:06 am
I think that very elderly people often do not require as much food as a younger person. After all, if you are sitting around much of the time, you don't burn off as many calories that you do when you are active.

I think that the problem is, when the elderly cut down, many do not eat a balanced diet, and therefore may become malnourished.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 09:16 am
There is also the possibility ( speaking generaly of course ) that the 'signs' of malnurishment are simply signs of aging.

For example, someone may appear very thin and frail, but be in good health. The appear thin and frail because their skin doesnt have its youthful snap anymore wich causes it to lose a bit of its shape.

Age spots on skin are another one that is commonly confused with cancer and lack of protein.

Brittle nails, wich would be associated with lack of calcium and a few other nutrients in the younger person, may just be a simple circulation issue with an elderly person..

but this doesnt sound like a case of basic aging that you are asking about Badboy? Or is it?
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 08:17 am
It's simply that is some concern that some elderly people are malnourished.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 08:52 am
I heard on the TV today that 40% of elderly people are reckoned to be not eating enough, and careworkers and nurses are asked to look out for signs of malnourishment.
0 Replies

danielssister

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 12:01 pm
@Phoenix32890,
why do you say this?
0 Replies