Conditions for vigorous, innovative art ambience ?

JLNobody

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 03:44 pm
And he was the teacher of Jackson Pollock.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:07 pm
Thats true, firgot that point. I imagine that lots of alcohol was involved among the New york Studio League.
I remember the Ed harris movie, in that flick, did they ever show Benton? I dont think so, he was just a passing referral when pollock was mentioning his credentials to His wife to be.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:38 pm
I havn't seen the movie. But I do like much of the work of Benton. He has nice rhythms in his compositions. I've seen some of this in the paintings of A2Ker Asherman.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:58 am
I haven't read a post by him in a long time
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 12:41 pm
He's posted recently on "Tao" (in the religion forum).
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:04 pm
e-mail from Asherman
I received the following e-mail from Asherman. I advised Ash that A2K was zapped from the internet for several house this morning but came back on line about 11 a.m.---BBB

BBB, thanks for the info.

A2K won't let me post anything at the moment. They want me to sign-in, but who can remember a password from for as long as I've been posting. Maybe they'll send me something to fix the problem. Oh well. Tell the folks that the reports of my death are greatly exaggerated. I haven't been painting much this Winter, but will return to the studio in the Spring. I've been posting mostly on the Religious, History, and Political forums.

Asherman
0 Replies

goodstein-shapiro

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:38 pm
TH Benton...For most of my life, I knew Benton for only one or two often reproduced paintings, and read about him as a "regionalist" in those same books which reproduced him.
When I first moved to Minnesota, I visited a small Minnesota Museum at the Landmark Bldg in St Paul, which had a number of his landscapes. They were quite lovely, and very satisfying...lovely color, rhythm and unity.
0 Replies

goodstein-shapiro

TH Benton...For most of my life, I knew Benton for only one or two often reproduced paintings, and read about him as a "regionalist" in those same books which reproduced him.
When I first moved to Minnesota, I visited a small Minnesota Museum at the Landmark Bldg in St Paul, which had a number of his landscapes. They were quite lovely, and very satisfying...lovely color, rhythm and unity.
0 Replies

goodstein-shapiro

0 Replies

goodstein-shapiro

0 Replies

goodstein-shapiro

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 01:39 pm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:04 pm
looks like Flo has been laying on the send button. I thought they had a "double post nono" filter.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 03:41 pm
My general reference only has reproductions of THB's New School Murals also depictions of Greek Legends. I cant find any of his landscapes.
0 Replies

goodstein-shapiro

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 11:58 am
OOps....The paintings I saw in the Landmark museum were by Grant Wood (not Benton). Sorry, I'll try to be more exact....and not click on the submit button more than once.
0 Replies

ASSASSIN83R

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 01:27 am
i am cool
0 Replies

ASSASSIN83R

no one is iller den me
0 Replies

ASSASSIN83R

poop
0 Replies

ASSASSIN83R

sorry im bored
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 01:57 am
Re: Conditions for vigorous, innovative art ambience ?
goodstein-shapiro wrote:
When I look about me, at the work of artists in my world, at the work they are producing, at the quality of art schools and galleries, at the lack of reviews of local artists' exhibits in local galleries in local newspapers (despite the tremendous publicity given to museum shows and museum blockbuster shows), I cannot help but see decline in artistic creativity.
And, for discussion, I throw out the questions: What do you see, the same or something different? Why? What does this portend? Where are we headed? What are conditions which make for a healthy artistic ambience?
Well I'll talk about music if you like. It's art Smile

There is, in a commercial sense, a homogenization of sounds and styles; this in spite of the potential for increased expressiveness due to high tech toys.

I do feel there are big things on the horizon however, as soon as everyone gets over the "I can make amazing noises too" syndrome and the major record labels and radio stations loose their grip (surprise surprise) via technologies that at one time allowed them to garner this power in the first place.

It might come from young kids with computers, or angry hungry Eastern Europeans or angry young kids with computers in Eastern Europe.

Another possibility is that the individual arts have had their day, and the next big new thing will be integration, not that dissimilar in concept to ballet with a symphony.

Or maybe talk show hosts wielding the power of the word will push music into a secondary position Smile
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 02:06 am
Re: Conditions for vigorous, innovative art ambience ?
Chumly wrote:

Another possibility is that the individual arts have had their day, and the next big new thing will be integration, not that dissimilar in concept to ballet with a symphony.

group art from all I've seen produces mediocrity

Ballet is not a group thing except in performance, as is all music apart from a solo singer, playing an instrument themselves with no backing or a caplella (?sp)

The composer works alone and the choreographer works out the moves - not individual or group dancers.

There are rare partnerships who produce paintings together, there's the Chapman brothers here and a twins, whose name I forget. Other than that art is a very individual thing.
0 Replies