A question about A2K & posters & possible multiple IDs.

Setanta

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 03:24 am
The silly ranter to whom Our Miss Wabbit referred had another trait seen from time to time in the cyber-world--incredible conceit. Not only were we too dense and frightened to see the looming danger to the very way of life we cherish, we were too stupid to appreciate the incisive clairy of it's argument.

Bon jour, Mon Vieux, j'espere que tout va bien chez toi . . . ce matin, au Canada, il pleut, doucement, dans un hiver qui semble vouloir etre printemps . . .
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 05:05 am
I'm always Heliotrope here.
Don't have any other A2K IDs.

I'm Dave The Drummer on all the drum forums.
Same avatar, same signature.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 06:41 am
Setanta wrote:
Bon jour, Mon Vieux, j'espere que tout va bien chez toi . . . ce matin, au Canada, il pleut, doucement, dans un hiver qui semble vouloir etre printemps . . .

Qu'en termes élégants ces choses là sont dites!

Ces souhaits sont réciproques!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 07:43 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/15313345174193d7185cfbc.gif
It's good to be olga!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 03:51 am
An it's certainly being interesting being Lash, too! :wink:

But it's a helluva job being two people, I reckon. I honestly don't know how some folk manage it (say nothing of more than 2! Shocked Confused) ... or why they bother!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:01 am
I know one poster that is trying to construct the characters of his book. So he is playing two of them one against the other, but he has a lot of work ahead. A third character is intended to mystify people.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:03 am
Francis wrote:
I know one poster that is trying to construct the characters of his book. So he is playing two of them one against the other, but he has a lot of work ahead. A third character is intended to mystify people.

Here on A2K, Francis?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:06 am
Yes, msolga.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:10 am
Ah well, then, so long as this person doesn't indulge himself in the political of S & R forums, I guess ...........
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:15 am
That pisses m eoff....kinda because it feels like a community, and it makes you feel dumb when you are being manipulated like that...it is nasty, methinks.

However, since there is nothing I can do about it, I won't waste time worrying about it.

But I think it is not a civil thing to do.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:27 am
Yeah, you're right, Deb. It's reasonable to expect that you're communicating with real people, absolutely.

I thought Francis was describing a sort of creative literary excercise. One person talking only to himself, or something like that?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 07:08 am
dlowan wrote:
That pisses m eoff....kinda because it feels like a community, and it makes you feel dumb when you are being manipulated like that...it is nasty, methinks.

However, since there is nothing I can do about it, I won't waste time worrying about it.

No, it is not civil. But how does one REALLY know about anyone on an internet forum? For me, it is only when a person has a "track record" with me, over time, that I can be secure that there is at least some element of truth in what the person is saying. But unless a person really screws up, and contradicts him/herself over time, one really doesn't know.

Anybody remember Aunt whatserface from Abuzz? She was the Pampers lady who had kids of different ages in every post.It her case, the deception was so blatant, it was laughable.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 07:34 am
msolga wrote:

But, is there any reason we can't have such a policy? I'm serious.

It wouldn't stop people from imagining that others are arguing against themselves.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:34 am
Oh, Aunt Deborah!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:38 am
roger wrote:
Oh, Aunt Deborah!

Thanks, Rog. For the life of me, I could not remember her name! Sad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 03:00 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
dlowan wrote:

No, it is not civil. But how does one REALLY know about anyone on an internet forum? For me, it is only when a person has a "track record" with me, over time, that I can be secure that there is at least some element of truth in what the person is saying. But unless a person really screws up, and contradicts him/herself over time, one really doesn't know.

Anybody remember Aunt whatserface from Abuzz? She was the Pampers lady who had kids of different ages in every post.It her case, the deception was so blatant, it was laughable.

Lol! Nah, you can't be sure at all...and generally it hardly matters at all, does it? In fact, specifically it hardly matters at all!

But the idea of someone carefully crafting characters to watch the reactions and confuse people just got my goat for a bit, that is all.

Actually, I can see a reason for wanting a separate persona for some things...it is just the idea of creating them, and sitting back and watching the reactions that I do not like.

But, wotthehell.

And, as Craven says, these identity hunts are nuts, except the folk who make no attempt to hide who they are is kind of funny. Or the fella who didn't realise he had switched in mid thread. THAT was funny.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 04:53 am
dlowan wrote:
..And, as Craven says, these identity hunts are nuts....

I don't think we're having an identity hunt here, Deb, so much as comparing perceptions about something that folk suspect has been happening here for a while & expressing our thoughts about it. AND indulging in a bit of fun & silliness in the process. Very Happy
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 05:00 am
msolga wrote:
AND indulging in a bit of fun & silliness in the process. Very Happy

As we usually do... :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 05:25 am
Can you imagine this conversation if it was all deadly ernest, Francis? Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 05:33 am
I think Msolga and Francis just called me and Craven poopity heads.

Not necessarily in that order.
0 Replies