A question about A2K & posters & possible multiple IDs.

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 02:00 am
@msolga,
I haven't thought this way for quite a time, but right now I am seriously wondering about A2Kers with multiple identities .... of the belligerent kind.
Just saying ...

Reyn

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 12:18 pm
@msolga,
Wow, a blast from the past, which I see I posted in a few times! Laughing

Nothing new to add though. Wink
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 12:46 pm
@msolga,
I first posted as Tex-Star at Abuzz and, I think, some in A2K. Then, I posted as Sunlover few years ago. ID was changed because I moved and bought new computer, both times, and my old name had disappeared. Gosh, does anybody care? I'm still me. I hated the name Sunlover - and Tex-Star sounds a little conceited. Hey, it was really the name of our first server, T-Star, but I do love the Texas star (usually metal or stone) that emblazones most homes here. The Lonestar state, and I am not a real Texan. Austin isn't either.

Guess people can do as they wish, but, we should let the whole group know? I am intensely personal person, wouldn't want people (like my children) spread around the world.

Are you speaking of one person speaking thru two ID's at the same time, or what?

DrewDad

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 02:37 pm
@msolga,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_%28Internet%29

Quote:
A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception within an online community. In its earliest usage, a sockpuppet was a false identity through which a member of an Internet community speaks with or about himself or herself, pretending to be a different person,[1] like a ventriloquist manipulating a hand puppet.

In current usage, the perception of the term has been extended beyond second identities of people who already post in a forum or blog to include other uses of misleading online identities. For example, a NY Times article claims that "sockpuppeting" is defined as "the act of creating a fake online identity to praise, defend or create the illusion of support for one's self, allies or company."[2]

The key difference between a sockpuppet and a regular pseudonym (sometimes termed an "alt" which is short for alternate, as in alternate identity) is the pretense that the puppet is a third party who is not affiliated with the puppeteer or acting under their control for their benefit. The earliest known[1] usage of the term was on July 9, 1993 by Dana Rollins in a posting to bit.listserv.fnord-l,[3] but the term was not in common usage in USENET groups until 1996.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 03:25 pm
@Pemerson,
Hey! I remember Tex Star..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 04:21 am
@DrewDad,
"Sockpuppet".

I learn something new here each day!

Thanks, Drew.
0 Replies

Susmariosep

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2017 09:46 pm
@msolga,
It is possible to know the set of ip numbers of the poster: take it down, and then compare it with the ip numbers of other posters; when you come to two instances of a set of ip numbers that are identical, then they are from the same poster, wherefore the poster is into two identities.

That is regularly hot allowed in a forum; but I have seen a forum and I am sure there are many, which are so very lenient that everything is allowed: because the founders, owners, and operators seemingly don't mind as long as they are getting so much and very busy posting, that they also get lots of advertisers in their website - wherefore they make more money.
Susmariosep

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2017 10:13 pm
This really happened to me in one very busy and very much patronized by many people all over the world, by the hundreds of thousands.

I was in a board of this forum which is about ideas, that is what I go for in a web discussion, and I noticed that - at that time I didn't know it then - some posters seem to be stalking me, but with all kinds of nonsense talks which they make up to sound deep.

Then there was there, perhaps he is still there, one poster who to me seems to be more sober and productive in re ideas, he said casually to someone that it was about time he should get rid of one of his id's; I was may I say flabbergasted, so it is a common practice of members in that forum, to have more than just one id.

This is still around, I mean that forum, it is very popular world-wide with hundreds of thousands of members.

Can you imagine, in that board of ideas, I once got a poster who was really so bad, that to show me that for him my thought on a certain issue is nothing to him, he posted a whole page of nothing but the complete frontal female genitals, covering the whole message box.

And you know what, they have a board for formal debate, and I am sure with the connivance or it is perfectly okay that some old time member would be a judge/referee of the debate, now read this: he was also the party in a debate with another party, but sporting a different id: I reported that to the moderator, and you know what he said:

"That's very cute!"

So also a lot of them thought so, it's so cute!

But for really forums that are replete with foul language, I know atheists here will get irked with me, sign up with an atheists founded, owned, and operated forum; try several and you will experience the most foul and indecent language and graphics even.

And with them, it is allowed!

There was this lady poster, who called God a rat bastard - I can't really accept that people who are literate can write such wicked things, but then these are humans replete with hatred, anger, and whatever is sure to I am sure disturb their digestive system if nothing else unhealthy to themselves, physically and also mentally.

Okay, that is enough from my experiences with atheists' forums.
Susmariosep

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2017 10:14 pm
By the way, how do I know that a poster is online?

0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2017 10:40 pm
@Susmariosep,

Susmariosep wrote:

all kinds of nonsense talks which they make up to sound deep.

Wow! Who knew something like that could happen.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2017 10:54 pm
@Susmariosep,
Quote:
It is possible to know the set of ip numbers of the poster: take it down, and then compare it with the ip numbers of other posters; when you come to two instances of a set of ip numbers that are identical, then they are from the same poster, wherefore the poster is into two identities.

The IP numbers are not enough to prove that two posts are from the same user. It would take the unique computer ID numbers as well.
Of course, a sophisticated user could post as one username from one location and post as another username from a remotely connected computer in another location, and so neither computer ID numbers or IP numbers would match.
0 Replies

Susmariosep

Reply Tue 11 Jul, 2017 11:21 pm
Yes, a persistent id multiplier can fool readers by all kinds of evasion and diversion, like for example using a proxy.

Then also he could claim that several physical persons are using the same computer with the same ip number, or a different computer each but with the same ip number, common to everyone at home, or in the same small boarding house.

But the ip of the sender, that is the first target of investigation.
0 Replies

Susmariosep

Reply Wed 12 Jul, 2017 03:30 am
This is a 'reply to all' post, from yours truly, Susmariosep.

How did I get into this thread which is on:

“A question about A2K & posters & possible multiple IDs.”

Which WAS already into its 10th page as of this post I am replying to dated, see quote as follows:
Quote:
Thu 22 Apr, 2010 02:00 am
[From msolga, he said]
I haven't thought this way for quite a time, but right now I am seriously wondering about A2Kers with multiple identities .... of the belligerent kind.
Just saying ...

Notice the date of the post I am replying to from msolga, namely, Thu 22 Apr, 2010 02:00 am.

And I am on the date/time in my location, namely, July 12. 2017, Wednesday, 05:11 PM, eight hours in advance of Greenwich.

Quote:
Susmariosep | Tue 11 Jul, 2017 09:46 pm
@msolga,
It is possible to know the set of ip numbers of the poster: take it down, and then compare it with the ip numbers of other posters; when you come to two instances of a set of ip numbers that are identical, then they are from the same poster, wherefore the poster is into two identities

[…]

How did I get here err there, it’s kind of like going back in time to seven years ago!

It is because I clicked on the link, New posts – hahahahahahahahaha…

I am getting out of here, and back to the present, back to my thread on The control of one particle.

What a web forum this a2k!

See you guys there, The control of one particle, am going there now, to see if anyone has replied to my last post there just some time before noon in my local time, date of July, 12, 2017 Wednesday, right now as I write this post, 05:27 PM, eight hours in advance of Greenwich.
0 Replies

holly11

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2018 01:55 am
@msolga,
there are different personalities
0 Replies