Commercial for Tarentino's new movie Hostels - Uhg!

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:25 am
I put this in General, since it has to do with several things, Films, TV, Parenting, probably more.....

Has anyone else seen this horrible ad for the movie?

It depicts VERY graphic depictions of torture that will occur within seconds of the shot on the screen. Drills, vices, other horrible stuff.

HOW did this obsenity make it on the small screen for anyone to see?

Not only is this incredibly inappropriate for children, it doesn't give adults much chance to change the channel if it disturbs them either.

I said to my husband last night "so many kids are going to have nightmares over this."

Last night, I had one I'm sure was related to seeing that commercial. Usually if I have a bad dream, I can laugh at them later in the morning, because they are usually so ridiculous. Not this one.

I've never done this before, but does anyone know who one can write to in objection of something shown on the TV.

It's really bad.

Edit [Moderator]: Moved from General to Parenting & Childcare, with shadow topics in TV & Film.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,649 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:28 am
I haven't seen it yet, but heard an adfor it on the radio this morning and my first thought was "Wow, that must be pretty intense". A horror film that rates NC17 must be pretty graphic.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:33 am
Found this on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450278/

I declined to click the link to the trailer. I have a problem with movies about torture. To me that is no enjoyment.

http://www.mrqe.com/lookup?Hostel
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:48 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I haven't seen it yet, but heard an adfor it on the radio this morning and my first thought was "Wow, that must be pretty intense". A horror film that rates NC17 must be pretty graphic.

I'm hoping it gets pulled before you have to see it.

You know what gets me?

Back during the last Olympics, there was a commercial for Nike that was take off on Friday the 13th.
It was removed as offensive, but I found it sent a powerful positive message to women (she was able to easily get away from the guy because she was in great shape and could run and jump while he got exhausted.
"They" said it was portraying the woman as a victim.

I mean, who make these decesions?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:52 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Found this on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450278/

I declined to click the link to the trailer. I have a problem with movies about torture. To me that is no enjoyment.

http://www.mrqe.com/lookup?Hostel

Interesting Phoenix

Didn't read the comments, but from the titles can tell I'm not the only one who think this excessive.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 09:57 am
I saw it. I hate it. Luckily, it hasn't come on when my kids were watching, but I know for a fact at least one of them would have nightmares from the commercial alone. Tarrantino has always had an obsession with torture in his movies. This one looks like he's creaming his pants.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:03 am
I just looked at the FCC's website to see if there was a place to address this kind of stuff.

I mean, if the world can raise a stink about Janet Jackson's breast....

I did not immediately see where one could directly address a matter like this.

Does anyone know?

God, this one really bugs me....you know how I've said I often ask myself "Do I want to die on this hill?"

Well, in this case, I do. This is just wrong.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:05 am
I mentioned in a former post that I have a problem with torture in movies. When I was twelve, I went to a movie with my friends. The film happens to be a classic. There was a torture scene which literally sickened me. It haunted me for years.

Some time ago, they were running the film on TV. There was a part of me that wanted to watch the film, so I could perceive it as an adult. I just could not bring myself to watch it.

I think that it is important that parents protect their children from seeing stuff like that. To a child, it could be a traumatic event that might last for years. I know........................ Sad
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:06 am
FCC Complaint Procedure

And some facts about obscenity, profanity and indecency according to the FCC.

FCC Crap

I don't know if this falls under any of those catagories but it's worth a shot.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:20 am
Actually, I found an email address under your FCC Crap link.

Thanks.

I'll let you know if I get a response as to if that was the correct procedure, and let everyone know.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:22 am
I saw the commercial and don't remember thinking it was too much. Maybe I'll have to see it again witht that in mind though.

As an aside it's not really Tarantinos movie it just "presented" by him (w/e that means). But it definately looks like a movie I'll have to check out.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:32 am
Re: Commercial for Tarentino's new movie Hostels - Uhg!
Chai Tea wrote:
I put this in General, since it has to do with several things, Films, TV, Parenting, probably more.....

Has anyone else seen this horrible ad for the movie?

I've seen it and it's crap.

Mind you, I'm probably bias, as I feel that everything that Tarentino has put out is total crap. The man has no talent.

There is a trend in TV and movies to get more and more graphic all the time. Like, we're so stupid that we can't figure anything out unless it's literally "spelled out" for us? Stephen King is another twit.

In generations gone by, we had masters like Hitchcock, who could scare the bejeeves out of you just by suggesting something. "Psycho" is a classic example of this. That film suggested a lot of violence, but not one frame was actually shown.

The commercial of which you are speaking of is just the latest in a long line of inappropriate stuff to hit our screens.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:44 am
Like Phoenix, I remember watching the Twilight Zone when little.

Remember the episode where a woman had been in a terrible accident and was covered in bandages the whole show? The doctors and nurses faces were in shadows the whole time.

I was all on edge waiting to see what the woman would look like when they took off the bandages.
She was beautiful. There was a quick cut to the doctors/nurses, who were all gasping in horror.
They were all grotesque.

I remember screaming and screaming running into my room to hide.
My brothers loved to watch that show, and for the next year, whenever I heard that music come on, I had to run and cover my ears and stay in the kitchen the whole time.

She's right, these shows can have a profound effect on a child.

el diablo, try to imagine being 6 years old when you see it.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:53 am
Chai Tea wrote:
I was all on edge waiting to see what the woman would look like when they took off the bandages.
She was beautiful. There was a quick cut to the doctors/nurses, who were all gasping in horror.
They were all grotesque.

I can remember seeing that episode.

Even that's a little different. It's not like graphic murder and such.

Mind you, I wouldn't have thought The Twilight zone suitable viewing for youngsters.

Have you seen Psycho, or anything else by Hitchcock, for that matter? Compare his work to what is produced today.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:07 pm
Surprisingly, Psycho didn't scare me.

The Birds though

yeeeeeesh.

damn seagulls.

After that, I learned he appeared in his movies, and spent most of my time looking for him.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:19 pm
Quote:
The Eye of the Beholder
Writer: Rod Serling
Director: Douglas Hayes

In a hospital room, her face completely covered by medical wrappings, a woman waits to see if a last-chance operation on her face has fixed the freakishness that will have her sent to a reservation of outcasts. CAST: Joanna Hayes, Jennifer Howard, William D. Gordon, Maxine Stuart, Donna Douglas.

I sure do remember that one. I was a "bit" older than 6 at the time, but even I found it rather scary.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:21 pm
OH! I remember that one too!! They all had pig faces!!!! I didn't think it was scary at all. I thought it was hilarious! I must be weird.....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:23 pm
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VgD6AoYbW8S6*bFGjyojKfn5McT6I7rF3UT5k6KNWcO7F76yslmRIMgHhAgZuIxk3djceubUBH446JoAq11uwTxT!K83yLipVlQ8yba51jt5ub8npYXSWOlgr3s3ZzwK/an%20eye.jpg

I dunno. If I were 6, I sure would find THIS scary!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 08:10 am
[YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.......
0 Replies