Going to sleep at two months

stopgap

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 09:11 pm
Hello!

First time posting on this forum...

Our first child has just turned two months. She is starting to sleep from 9pm until 3:30am, then eating and going back to sleep until about 6am. Needless to say we are pretty happy about that because first month and a half has been really rough.

Up until now we have been holding her and rocking her to sleep at whatever time she happens to get tired, but are trying to establish a night-time routine of eating, possibly taking a bath, reading to her, rocking until drowsy but not yet asleep and then putting her into the crib. The problem is that most of the time as soon as her head touches the mattress she wakes up and starts whimpering and then outright crying.

From what we've read on the web, gleamed from advice of other parents and nurses, and read in books, the Ferber method of establishing sleep routine should not be applied at two months of age. She's just two young to be able to sooth herself. Or is she?

The fourth edition of the very popular "Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5" book (ISBN 0-553-38290-X) is giving a conflicting message in Chapter 7 "Age One Month Through Three Months".

First they say on page 188, "During these early months, don't worry about spoiling your baby with too much attention. Observe him closely and respond promptly when he needs you. You may not be able to calm him down every time, but it never hurts to show him that you care. In fact, the more promptly and consistently you comfort your baby's fussing in the first six months, the less demanding he's likely to be when he's older."

Then in the same chapter on page 192 they write, "She could be squirming, startling, fussing, or even crying--and still be asleep. Or she may be awake but on the verge of drifting off again if left alone. Don't make the mistake of trying to comfort her during these moments; you'll only awaken her further and delay her going back to sleep. Instead, if you let her fuss and even cry for a few minutes, she'll learn to get herself to sleep without relying on you. ... As much as fifteen to twenty minutes of fussing won't do your child any harm."

Needless to say, right now we are a confused, but decided to pick her up when she fusses, pick her up until drowsy, and then put her back. Repeat as necessary until she falls asleep, which can take 5-6 times: a good hour.

What would you do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 727 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 09:15 pm
I did what Ferber now says is a perfectly good option -- co-sleeping. (That was big news, as he'd previously been against it.)

Everybody slept WAY better once we gave up on the crib (we hadn't planned on co-sleeping in advance) and started co-sleeping.

It's not for everyone, so if you're interested in that I'll give you a lot more info, but it worked really well for us.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 09:18 pm
Here's a recent article that focuses on Ferber's surprising reversal, plus more about how many people co-sleep and why:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/29/fashion/thursdaystyles/29sleep.html

Excerpt:

Quote:
JENNIFER JAKOVICH has spent most of her 5-month-old daughter's life dodging questions from friends, family and strangers about how and where Chloe sleeps. But since hearing that Dr. Richard Ferber, the country's most famous infant sleep expert, has relaxed his admonition against parents sleeping with their babies, she has taken a different tack.

"I now mention Ferber's new view while openly admitting to co-sleeping," said Ms. Jakovich, an engineer in San Diego. She has broken the news to friends that Chloe sleeps in the same bed with her and her husband, John, a computer programmer. "I feel I have now been given the green light, that it's O.K."

The Jackoviches are part of a growing group of American parents who share a bed with their baby, a common practice in the rest of the world, which had become nearly taboo in this country. A survey by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development has found that about one-fifth of parents with infants up to eight months old said the baby usually shared a bed with them, more than triple the number of a decade ago.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:00 am
Same as Sozobe, I guess. My daughter M is 6-mos old - our first as well. We gave a lot of thought to the sleeping arrangement and had actually decided before she arrived that she'd sleep with us until she was a little older. This has worked really well for us. Despite the round-the-clock feeds in the beginning, the getting used to baby, breastfeeding, whatnot, we all have slept really well right from the start - never once since she's been born have we been sleep-deprived. It is only now that M's 6 mos. that we're going to start gradually moving her to her own bed - which, incidentally, is still going to be in our room. Once she's adjusted to that, we'll move her to her own room. We've actually loved, thoroughly enjoyed having her in our bed - it's fun to wake up together. Now she's a little bigger & needs more space than our queen sized bed can provide for 3 people. Just what has worked for us....

I did ask friends who have successfully had their babies sleep in cribs though, for tips on making that transition smooth. Someone suggested warming the baby's bed with an electric blanket or something before putting the baby in it. As in: Warm the baby's bed a little with an electric blanket. Just before putting the baby in, remove the electric blanket. Put the baby into the crib. It seems that the temperature difference between your warm arms and the baby's cool bed is what wakes them up. But if their bed is cozy enough, they'll continue to sleep. It seemed logical enough to me - though I haven't tried it yet myself. Goes without saying, of course, that you'd never leave an electric blanket on a baby. (Overheated babies = increased risk of SIDS etc. - whole separate topic - not what your question is about.)

Good luck, Stopgap. Tell us how it goes for you.
0 Replies