Do we really exist?

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:01 pm
The few hours before I finally drop into sleep, I ponder this very question. I'm convinced that none of you exist and you all are a figment of my imagination. How do I know that you have a consciousness? How can I know that you have feelings and aren't just a hallow body?

Everything that has a beginning has an end. But what is the beginning of the universe? How is it possible that we exist? How can the Universe leap into existence? There has to be a beginningÂ… Are we just programs initiated by the Machines? Are we just living a dream? Are our emotions and feelings just stimulated by our brain? Do I exist?

I invite you all to reply both scientific and religious explanationsÂ…

Thank you all that reply for maybe ending my long quest to the answer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 13,320 • Replies: 117
No top replies

Francis

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:04 pm
I do not exist. I'm a creation of your imagination at this very moment..

Do you have an explanation?
0 Replies

WarEagle

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:11 pm
I was only seeking an explanation and provided myself one: you all don't exist.

Do you have an explanation for me? I find that it's impossible that we exist right now. How could the Universe exist and moreover, what caused it to exist, and how could the cause exist?

Thanks for the reply, Francis.

(I was expecting more attacks. Guess I'll have to wait a few more minutes. I'm on trial.)
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:32 pm
Iv'e thought about this WarEagle and as far as I can tell there is no answer. But if you expirament and walk up to a cop and shoot him in the foot with a 22. you will see that he 'doesn't exist' in a very new and interesting way thay directly effects how you exist.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 06:48 pm
What you sense are the informations that you are gathering about the environment. You may doubt whether we are actually real, but there is no reasonable evidence whatsoever of us not being real, thus you must accept that we are real or else you are betraying your own knowledge for irrational suspicion.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:33 pm
Even though 'I exist' is the only real axiomatic proposition one can ultimately know, solipsism remains a rather untenable position to take in my opinion.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:38 am
WarEagle, welcome to A2K.

Many people wonder if waking awareness is as illusionary as dreams. But our dreams are created by a brain drawing on sensory data and memories. Where could the imagery of our dreams have come from if there wasn't a real world to provide the basic experiences?

Are you consciously aware of creating me and all of the other phantoms in your universe? If not, something else (or a part of your mind of which you are unaware) must have created us. Where did your consciousness come from, and why can't you discern this mysterious source of the illusions that you experience as reality? Why was the illusion created, and where did the necessary knowledge/information come from?

You have feelings and are convinced that you exist. I have feelings and am convinced that I exist. Other people say that they have feelings and are convinced that they exist. If people other than you do not have feelings, how could we know what feelings even are, and why would we falsely claim to have them?

Either the world is pretty much as it appears, or there is some gigantic conspiracy to con you into believing that it exists. Occam's Razor says that theories should not contain unnecessary complications. The simplest explanation is that reality is as it appears, and there are no supernatural puppeteers deluding us.

There are many theories regarding the cause of the Big Bang. No one knows exactly how or why the universe began, but we know quite a lot about what happened since then. Yes, emotions and feelings are produced by biochemical processes in your brain.

If we are all figments of your imagination, why would you ask these questions and expect a reply? Just talking to yourself? Confused
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 07:56 am
Re: Do we really exist?
Hi WarEagle,

If I do not exist then I could not have an effect on you. Give me all your material possessions and then tell me if I have not affected you in a very direct way. So I must exist in at least as much as you exist.
0 Replies

RoyalesThaRula

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 05:17 pm
Here's my theory. Check it.

Everything is energy. Matter is energy, just going at different speeds in it's different forms that we know. Solid, Liquid and Gas. different combinations of energies create different things. I beleive that each element is effectively a different type of energy just in matter form. So Life happens on a planet and they become smart and ask themselves the question where do we come from. So they make science their number one priority instead of profit. Generations of brilliant scientists are bred and one hundred years later they have become so smart they know how to manipulate energy. So they grab a box, suck everything out, create a vaqume. Then they put a solar system right in the middle of the box, and the sun on that solar system will emit the energies required for plant growth. then from outside the box at different spots along the outside are individual guns of energy shooting one specific energy at the solar system in the box. They experiment with the crazyily high amount of possibilities until they stumble across the right combo of energies needed to create life. And then everytime life happens thats what they do. So my theory is that we are in a box, which is in a bigger box, and so on and so forth. However the question is, where does the energy come from in the first place to make that first box.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 02:02 am
Whenever I find myself doubting the existence of things, I also turn to that fail-proof test: pain. Because, man, nothing is more real than, say, a broken leg or a dislocated jaw.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:26 pm
I can testify that an intelligence other than mine exists. If this intelligence can testify that I exist then I will have to accept that. This intelligence also can have no proof of its existence. It will have to rely on my testimony.

This naturally is not an absolute proof. We have to settle for "beyond a reasonable doubt". So far thats the best I can do Confused

Strange isn't it Question We cannot prove our existence without a witness. And as any cop knows witnesses are notoriously unreliable. Therefore there is no reliable evidence that I exist outside of my imagination Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 08:40 pm
A stone exists, is not life, doesn't know it exists.
A dead body exists, was life, doesn't know it exists.
A heart and a liver exist, are life, don't know they exist.
We exist, are life, and only we know that we exist.

So, existence is not merely a function of life and knowing that you exist. Otherwise too, things exist. We know that we exist, so we exist. A stone doesn't know that it exists and yet it exists.

As for the rest of the main query on page one, if I know God, then I also know this - for that kind of Truth to be revealed, Truth will take its own time, just like 'God reveals Himself in God's own time' because God is Truth. So the answer will come, when, I don't know.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:01 pm
There was a monk who taught his disciples that the external world did not exist. One day he was meditating when he one of his disciples burst into the room, running from a stampede of elephants.

"Stop running, fool!" the monk scolded. "Can't you see those elephants don't really exist?"

"Stop scolding, fool!" the student replied. "Can't you see I'm not really running?"
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:27 pm
I'll give you an answer, but first you must choose between the red pill, or the blue pill, Neo.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 09:34 am
Shapeless wrote:
There was a monk who taught his disciples that the external world did not exist. One day he was meditating when he one of his disciples burst into the room, running from a stampede of elephants.

"Stop running, fool!" the monk scolded. "Can't you see those elephants don't really exist?"

"Stop scolding, fool!" the student replied. "Can't you see I'm not really running?"

That is so good!
0 Replies

RoyalesThaRula

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 01:50 pm
Thats the easiest question in the world. Do we exist? Yes.
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:21 am
How do I know that you guys are not all sat in an office somwhere answering my posts?
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:56 am
Or maybe they are just computerised replies
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:57 am
Or am I just imagining them?
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:58 am
AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!