Hot as hell and the flames are closing in

dadpad

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 07:13 pm
sorry about the size

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/incidents/images/news_image/Map_of_Alpine_fires_09_Dec_2006_0900_11715.jpg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 07:17 pm
Dadpad,

Tell me again, I know you did in an earlier post, but I don't recall it having so much detail. Where is your property located in relation to those hot spots on the map?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:24 pm
Bugger, DP.

Crossed paws for everyone.

Meanwhil, 'tis heading for 41 here (106 F) and winds, with a likely dry lightning storm to follow.

Tassie ain't looking too good, either.

I couldn't see any fires when I was just out.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 08:44 pm
I'm guessing Mr. Pad is in Mansfield or thereabouts.

Well, I've been six blocks from the fires down the canyons, but southern california fires are very weather related re their containment (some large parts of LA are semiarid desert and the whole area is a fire ecology), often arson related in likely weather, and also sometimes ameliorated with weather changes, as Santa Ana conditions are a big factor, and they vary over days.

Sending virtual helicopters..
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 12:11 am
TheBlue arrows show mu home in mansfield township and proerty we own about 10 mins outside town.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/dadpad/summer/LOCATION.jpg

Winds have not yet eventuated but are according to the tv expected to be from the north and west tomorrow.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 12:13 am
Oh, that's good to hear.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 12:17 am
you wouldn't think a broken leg would make it hard to type .....but it does as my previouse post shows. I have to sort of sit sideways with my leg up on a chair and twist around to the keyboard.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 12:21 am
Pretty soon your side muscles will ache. I forget what they are.. latissimus dorsi? (Oh, never mind, it's been too long.) You need a wheely tray thing, methinks.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 06:56 am
Dutchy tells me theres no wind in sth oz. as we get their weather usually the next day thats a good sign. Although 41.4 doesnt sound pleasant.
A change is forcast for tomorrow but as they havnt had it yet in Sth oz it may be during sunday night which will be a blessing. The change sounds weak to me and may not eventuate into the storms we have been expecting.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:07 am
There's some real gusts happening right now, every now and then.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 12:35 am
The heat is on now.

Wind is nne and quite low (thank god). sw change is expected any tick of the clock.

Hold on for a rough couple of hours.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/dadpad/summer/firemap10dec.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 12:45 am
dadpad wrote:
The heat is on now.

Wind is nne and quite low (thank god). sw change is expected any tick of the clock.

Hold on for a rough couple of hours.

Cool change coming through Melbourne right now, dadpad.
It'll be there with you before too long.

Hang on there & fingers crossed!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 03:44 am
Howsa, DP????

Here are some resident oics of the eerie atmosphere:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/indepth/featureitems/s1808155.htm

And just stuff:

http://abc.net.au/nature/bushfire/default.htm
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 03:49 am
resident OICS wtf!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 03:54 am
Hi, DP! Sorry to know about your broken leg. (And with all those fires, one never knows, if you have to run. Be careful.)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 04:13 am
Alll the crews got pulled from Jamieson for safety reasons before the change hit.

Change crossed us about 6.00 pm but the wind stayed NNE with a bit of westerly in it. I understand the SW change wont come till later. The strong winds have not eventuated.

Gafneys creek is in trouble Mt Buller ski village may be later in the day.

[URL=C:\Documents and Settings\keith\My Documents\My Pictures\fires\fire map 10 dec 4.30 pm.jpg]sneaky back door to cfa mapping [/URL]
at the bottom of the list look for the most recent date and time. Dec 10 18:52. dont choose the files with a ? they are giant pdfs and will lock your computer up.
Its interesting to open 3 or 4 consecutive maps and compare. Perhaps it wont be cause you dont know the country here I dont know.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 04:19 am
dadpad wrote:
Alll the crews got pulled from Jamieson for safety reasons before the change hit.

Change crossed us about 6.00 pm but the wind stayed NNE with a bit of westerly in it. I understand the SW change wont come till later. The strong winds have not eventuated.

Gafneys creek is in trouble Mt Buller ski village may be later in the day.

[URL=C:\Documents and Settings\keith\My Documents\My Pictures\fires\fire map 10 dec 4.30 pm.jpg]sneaky back door to cfa mapping [/URL]
at the bottom of the list look for the most recent date and time. Dec 10 18:52. dont choose the files with a ? they are giant pdfs and will lock your computer up.
Its interesting to open 3 or 4 consecutive maps and compare. Perhaps it wont be cause you dont know the country here I dont know.

Glad the winds did not eventuate.

It's cooler and quite humid here...almost smells like rain.

Crossed fingers for you guys.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 04:41 am
Thanks for your good wishes Francis No running here hobbling maybe but running is right out of the question. LOL

proper sneaky backdoor that actually works
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 05:57 am
Parts of Mt Beauty evacuated. the Mtns to the West of Mt Beauty are alight and the fire is going strong. I know that probably95% of the bush on both sides of the Kiewa valley from Mt Beauty to Kiewa township hasnt burnt in up to 90 years. I recently was in the bush and undergrowth was tinder dry and deeper than thigh in most areas, some areas may have been over head.
If the wind swings to the south, this could be a very dangerous and ferocious fire front.

moosh
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 06:36 am
http://www.snow.net.au/photo/d/865-2/SA552866.JPG

other pics from moosh
0 Replies