dadpad

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 11:41 pm
This sucker just wont go away.

hoondogs fire photos
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 07:38 pm
From theage.com.au 12 jan 2006.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/01/12/buller_smoke_wideweb__470x293,0.jpg

the above photo is a continuation of the great alpine fire which has been running since early in December.

lightning strikes on wednesday night started 6 new fires in the marysville buxton area nth east of Melbourne, and sth of Benalla between Tatong and Tolmie. I can see the glow from the Tatong fire from the road outside my house. I can also see the plume of smoke and at night the glow from the fires in the above photo.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 08:01 pm
We got it yesterday, too.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 08:03 pm
My fires bigger than your fire!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 08:08 pm
dadpad wrote:
My fires bigger than your fire!

Yes, it is.

But your brain is smaller.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 08:24 pm
dlowan wrote:

I beg to differ.

approx Kangaroo brain length=5cm

approx brain weight=56g

approx Rabbit brain length=5cm

approx brain weight=12g

source

Good luck, Mt bold is not too far outside the city. Are ther homes in that area?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 10:53 pm
dadpad wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I beg to differ.

approx Kangaroo brain length=5cm

approx brain weight=56g

approx Rabbit brain length=5cm

approx brain weight=12g

source

Good luck, Mt bold is not too far outside the city. Are ther homes in that area?

Ahem....look to the brain/body size ratio, DP.

LOTS of homes in that area.......only one lost, though...and some sheds.

Five horses, 3 cattle...god knows how many wild animals.

The paper yesterday had pictures of a farmer driving his cattle to run through the front (it was only grass just there) to avoid them being trapped on the fence line.

They made it, if a bit singed. He did well getting them to do it.....I would hate to have been trying to get horses to do that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 11:00 pm
There was a recent fire in California that hit an area in Malibu where some especially wealthy people live, a road with about seventy houses, something like five of them decimated. Truth be told, I remember worse Malibu fires, but some friends have a house on that road, luckily on the other end.

It's an odd thing. I'm very much for living lightly on the land, and I'm very chary (heh) of insurance companies continually funding the rebuilding of places at the edge, a kind of proliferating stupidity. A tent there, ok with me.

Still, it's my friends' house...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 11:13 pm
ossobuco wrote:
There was a recent fire in California that hit an area in Malibu where some especially wealthy people live, a road with about seventy houses, something like five of them decimated. Truth be told, I remember worse Malibu fires, but some friends have a house on that road, luckily on the other end.

It's an odd thing. I'm very much for living lightly on the land, and I'm very chary (heh) of insurance companies continually funding the rebuilding of places at the edge, a kind of proliferating stupidity. A tent there, ok with me.

Still, it's my friends' house...

Saw that on the news on ?Wednesday, some movie star or other.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 11:24 pm
The movie star was Suzanne Somers.

Back in my youth, folks had beach houses, sort of shacks in a row. But now the real estate values and the owner's devotion to the right kitchens have made these serious places. I'm sorta rad, I'd like there to be no buildings west of the highway, and full public access.... little late now. But LA has a fire ecology and this question isn't just re one area. Your land and my old home town have a lot in common.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 11:30 pm
Susanne Sommers seems to be addicted to publicity. Could this fire be an expression of that? Nah.
I was in Bel Air (Los Angeles) when it burst into flames in the 60s, as I recall. It remains the best image I can conjure of Hell.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 11:34 pm
smokey bear keeps popping up in the side bar adverts. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 11:34 pm
Hey, JL, that one is the one that got within six blocks of our house (Kenter Canyon area and south of that) that I talked about earlier in the thread. It also nabbed part of Mount St. Mary's, where I, ahem, went for my freshman year. Luckily, I was a sophomore at UCLA that day. But it also got a lot of property north of UCLA.

No, we weren't wealthy. Long story. Was that '61?

I admit to confusion on all of LA's fires, but I think that was the key one in our part of town. We lived two and a half blocks south of Sunset. The fire got very near Sunset, but spottily - I think Homewood was the closest street, five blocks, eight blocks, something like that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Jan, 2007 11:48 pm
Dadpad, I'm now seeing something about elegant escape...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 12:02 am
An aside (I hope I'm not repeating myself) -

when I studied landscape architecture in Los Angeles in the beginning eighties, this whole subject of fire ecology was important. There was a quite feisty ex (I think) firefighter or fire department official, named Klaus Radke, who wrote a really good booklet for the Los Virgines fire district (Ventura County, I think) that became a bible for some of us re what to do for prevention and in-case-of. That was quite early in the gaming of fires, fire ecology with cities being built - as I see it. I heard him speak a few times, am a fan. Will try to find a link.

I see him as a forerunner of various sets of advice - but I don't know, re interdepartmental stuff.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 12:08 am
Aack, searching on google leads me nowhere. And my rather well regarded by me copy of it is still packed.

Pffffft.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 12:09 am
Whatever -- a lot of us designed understanding his views.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 12:17 am
Geez, this is disgusting, I can't find but one mention of him online, something about coast live Oaks...

and he energized hundreds of us to design understanding fire ecology... some of us (nemmee) fairly high up in planning now.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 03:15 pm
Yes, Osso, that WAS about 1961. I eventually went to UCLA (as you know) around 1965 (graduated in '67). Did you live in the Westwood area?
Oh, another coincidence: my step-mother taught piano in Mount St.Mary's.
When I studied at UCLA, I lived in an apartment south of Wilshire Blvd.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 10:19 pm
This new burn is going to be a little scary.

This map is from yesterday afternnoon

Tatong
0 Replies