Hot as hell and the flames are closing in

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 04:33 pm
Scary...!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 04:42 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I had no idea the fires were that furious.

Bastards need anger management....

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200601/r70513_196003.jpg

Last Updated:Thursday, January 26, 2006. 7:00am (AEDT)
Vic firefighters prepare for worst

Fire rage through the Grampian Ranges in Victoria. ABC TV
Firefighters in Victoria are preparing for another tough day with weather conditions expected to intensify four major blazes burning across the state.

More than 1,000 firefighters spent the night trying to control fires in the Grampians and at Anakie in the state's west, Moondarra in the east, and north of Melbourne at Kinglake.

Today's forecast for Victoria includes temperatures of 38 degrees, winds up to 30 kilometres an hour and low humidity.

Victorian fire authorities are monitoring 90 fires across the state.

A fire that has been burning since last Friday at Moondarra in the state's east has now burnt 116,000 hectares.

A fire near Kinglake, north of Melbourne has moved closer to private property overnight.

Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) spokesman John Lloyd says the predicted high temperatures, low humidity and high winds will place a lot of pressure on control lines today.

Mr Lloyd says deteriorating weather is already worsening the fire in the Grampians.

"We have active fire burning in the north-western part of the park and once the wind starts to pick up, that will only increase," he said.

"So the situation there is we are asking residents to be alert at this stage."

He says homes near the major fires could come under threat.

"There is a high likelihood that that will happen with all of the fires that are currently giving us control problems - that is the Grampians area," he said.

"Any houses or property to the south of the Grampians should be on alert today.

"Also the fire in the Anakie, Brisbane Ranges area, the Kinglake area and also Moondarra in west Gippsland."

Mr Lloyd says today's expected weather conditions will test the strength of containment lines set up overnight.

"The forecast has been moderated a little today, dropping the temperatures back from 40 degrees to 38, but we're expecting low humidity and high northerly winds in the vicinity of 30, with gusts up to 60 kilometres an hour," he said.

Mr Lloyd says the fire near Kinglake is of great concern and residents have been asked to enact their fire plans.

"That fire made a bit of a run overnight with a break out in the south-eastern corner and has got to within around a kilometre of transmission line easement, although it hasn't threatened any private property at this time," he said.

Official assessments from the fire burning in the Grampians now show more than 20 houses have been lost.

The DSE has been hampered in efforts to assess the damage fully because of changeable winds and the intensity of the Mt Lubra fire.

But spokeswoman Rachael May says in addition to the damage to 24 houses, almost 70 farms have suffered stock losses, including 60,000 sheep and 500 cattle.

She says there is a very real risk that this fire will continue to run today and cause further damage.

"We are asking all townships in the vicinity of the Grampians fire to be on high alert today particularly on the astern and southern flanks of the fire and also the townships of Halls Gap and Pomonal which are surrounded by fire at the moment."

Almost 100 firefighters from New South Wales will travel to Melbourne this afternoon to help their Victorian colleagues.

Yesterday a contingent of 142 firefighters from New South Wales arrived in Victoria, with 96 being deployed to the state's west.

Mr Lloyd says the state's crews will be working together.

"We're expecting a flight in to Melbourne late this afternoon of another 96 firefighters from I think north of Sydney to form a nightshift for the 96 that are heading into the western district," he said.

Meanwhile, Victorian police have charged a 16-year-old boy over three fires believed to have been deliberately lit at Warburton, east of Melbourne.

Firefighters were called to bushland between Hooks Road and Scotchman's Creek on Tuesday and took two hours to contain the fires.

Police say the teenager was arrested on his second visit to the area.

He will be summonsed to appear in the Children's Court face a number of charges including conduct endangering life.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200601/s1555406.htm
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 05:40 pm
I'm a world away and I'm not feeling particularly understanding right this minute to the parents of that 16-year-old. I think the kid missed out on some very basic learning.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 05:51 pm
dlowan wrote:
... 113 F.
wow one hundred and thirteen fu**ing degrees
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 06:05 pm
just read all the posts, I'm really sorry for you burning bunnies and other antipodeans...seriously

intense heat is worse than intense cold

even in tents.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 06:26 pm
Well, its only supposed to get to 103 F here today.

I am a long way from Victoria.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 08:44 pm
Grampians (Mt Lubra) update 12:45pm. 26/1/06

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Around 1000 CFA, DSE, and NSW firefighters are tackling the fire. (207 DSE firefighters and 475 CFA firefighters)

They are being supported from above by 14 aircraft, including the Erikson Aircrane.

the fire area is now estimated at 116,380 hectares. The perimeter of the fire has stretched to 350 kilometres. Twenty-four houses have been lost, along with:
· 58,643 sheep
· 506 cattle
· 7 horses
· 14 goats
· 166 poultry
· 19 woolsheds
· 1 dairy shed
· 1,298km of fencing
· the equivalent of 383,055 square bales of hay
· 30,711 hectares of pasture

In all, 67 farms have experienced stock loss.

Extreme fire conditions are expected with hot weather and gusting winds from the north-north west
Fires are currently increasing in activity in Sierra Range, north of Dunkeld, and at Asses Ears on the western side.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 08:51 pm
Wild fires are so dang frusterating! I would have to be restrained if I ever knowingly crossed paths with that teen.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:34 am
Erica / Moondarra fire - update Thursday 26th 5:00pm

Communities of Telbit, Erica, Delpretes Rd are now under threat. The fire has crossed Tyers Rd, near Tyers Junction and is spotting North of Telbit Rd.

The areas of Deplretes Rd, Caringal Scout Camp, Moondarra , Erica, Telbit and Collins Siding are currently under ember attack and residents are warned that spot fires may occur from the embers.
Fifty four fire fighters from the NSW Rural Fire Service will join 287 Parks Victoria, DSE and CFA personnel today to complete and maintain control lines, put out spot fires and protect significant private assets which may come under threat throughout the day.

A NSW Rural Fire Service Strike Team is on alert in the Tyres township to respond if the wind changes direction.

Nine aircraft are working on the fire and are being used for water bombing and monitoring activities.

The size of the fire is currently 13,600 hectares.

Grampians (Mt Lubra) update 4.55pm

The fire is currently spreading down the Victoria valley and although still within containment lines is starting to spot into farmland at Mirranatwa.Around 1000 CFA, DSE, and NSW firefighters are tackling the fire. (207 DSE firefighters and 475 CFA firefighters)

They are being supported from above by 14 aircraft, including the Erikson Aircrane.

They are focusing heavily on strengthening control lines, particularly on the southern and eastern flanks.

Their work is consolidating on earlier efforts by bulldozers and graders that made excellent progress in creating control lines and firebreaks on public land and private property.

BURGAN TRACK (KINGLAKE) Updated 4:45pm
Residents of Kinglake East, Kinglake Central and West Bridge Rd areas are advised that the area may experience ember attack.

Residents of these areas are asked to enact their fire plans and remain on high alert as fire activity on the southern edge of the Burgan Track fire becomes more active.
the fire is believed to be close to major power lines and power supplies could be affected.

'We are preparing for perhaps the most extreme fire conditions of the day with high temperatures and gusting winds,' he said.

160 firefighters, 30 tankers, and 33 slip on units are working in the Kinglake National Park to contain the fire.

Six CFA strike teams are strategically placed in the Kinglake East area to react to any threat to private property, along with a number of dozers. The DSE is building a control line in a bid to contain the fire.

Three helicopters and three fixed wing aircraft are also available to conduct fire-bombing operations in threatened areas. Futhermore an Erickson Skycrane has been assigned to the fire in an effort to put out spot fires.

Century Track/Brisbane Ranges/Anakie fire - Updated January 26 1:30pm
Fire behaviour is active in the north and south west sectors. DeMotts Rd and around Beremboke are the areas of most concern.
Crews on all parts of the Century Track fire have used the quiet weather conditions overnight to continue strengthening and widening control lines around the fire. Blacking out has continued deep inside the control lines and unburnt material has been identified and isolated from any burning material.

All spot fires from yesterday have been tracked and contained. Some fire activity and hotspots remain. Firefighters will continue to be vigilant today for spot overs outside the control lines.

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/news/incidents/
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:53 am
My thoughts are with all involved......
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:07 pm
Its raining its raining *does the happy dance*
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 12:41 am
Yay!!!

Helping???

Joining rain dance...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 01:28 pm
I'm doin' the Rain Stomp & Shuffle.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 04:11 pm
hope it rains on your parade
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:48 am
Me too stave
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:51 am
we had rain thunder storms here in Victoria today but further north its a wee bit drier.

Summer is a coming.

4 homes destroyed
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 04:07 am
It is way too early for this! It's only September!
What's summer going to be like, then?
I'm very worried. Sad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 11:18 am
Hoping, you all are well ... and that no-one gets hurt, the fires are not going to do too mauch damage ...

Photos from today's (25.09.2006) The Australian

http://i9.tinypic.com/2nsqlc2.jpg

http://i10.tinypic.com/2reihrn.jpg

http://i9.tinypic.com/484e7v8.jpg
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 11:22 am
jeez so sorry fires in september? looks ominous

keep cool and damp
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 03:08 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

http://i9.tinypic.com/2nsqlc2.jpg

Thanks, Walter for your kind thoughts. That's me, just above the 'Gosford' label, choking and spluttering. Cannot see any fires from home, but can taste and smell nothing else but smoke...

Thank heaven a cool change came through last night. The big worry was not just the heat but the 95kmh winds.
0 Replies