Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 10:22 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,008 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Individual

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 06:07 am
If not for the historical significance, go for the beautiful architecture and stunning sunsets over desert and city.

I would recommend visiting Masada, a wonderful hike and view of the desert (especially at sunset); the Dead Sea, a typical tourist attraction and oddity where you can float on water, treat your skin to mud and salt, and then take a warm sulfur bath; and Tel Aviv, a view of the Mediterranean sea while walking through old cobblestone streets and narrow alleyways.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 06:54 am
My reasons split up into

1. Moral/political

I wouldn't go to Israel because it would be supporting the murderers in the government and the army who shoot schoolgirls in Gaza and elsewhere in the occupied zones.

2. Selfish

I might get blown up or shot.

3. Practical

I am a secular Jew and I would be arguing all the time with religious bigots and Zionists. I wouldn't have much time left to visit masada and look suitably reverential.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:45 am
c.i.. i am going to israel and palestine next year. it's a fascinating country and, for me, a fascinating time to go. then again, i look for trouble, as the trouble is my work. i'll be in ramallah and in tel aviv, maybe you'll see me there if you go. i'd pack the trip in, then again, we all have different reasons for traveling. you alone must know best what lures you or what leaves you lukewarm.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 07:53 am
c.i.- Maybe I am a "chicken", but I would not go to a place where there is civil strife, of the type where there is a possibility of real danger. I know that a person could find himself in trouble anywhere in the world, but I don't like to seek out trouble, though!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 01:20 pm
Thank you for your responses.
Expected danger of a destination has never kept me away. That's the reason I have visited Egypt a few months after the massacre at Hatshepsut's Temple; visited Bali recently, visited India when there was a bombing in Delhi, and to Nepal with the killings that have been going on for many years - before and after my visit.

The likelyhood of being a victim of terrorism is statistically minimal - IMHO - when compared to how many get killed in our cars every year.

Individual and dagmaraka confirmed why I even considered Israel as a destination. The history and religious' holy places are listed in the Century Club, World Heritage Sites, and Wonders of the World.

It gave me time to contemplate this trip, because I've been considering a trip to China again to do the Yangtse River Cruise, Iceland, and NE Canada.

Also, my checking account balance won't be replishnished until this month. LOL

Thanks again.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 09:57 pm
A born adventurer Smile I would become exactly the same sort of person if now I had just enough dough and time, and probably, age. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:46 pm
Well, I booked the Israel trip for October 13 to 27. We will visit Tel-Aviv, Haifa, Nazareth, Sea of Galilee, Golan Heights, Temple Mount, wailing wall, Beit Guvrin National Park, Jerusalem, Yad Vashem, Arab Quarter, Sataf Ein Handak, Qumran Caves, Nahal David Nature Reserve, Dead Sea, Masada, Negey Desert, Neot Hakkika, and Tel Arad.

I'll do a travelogue with a short narrative and some pictures when I get back.
0 Replies