Case #503 against blind faith--Stem Cell Research

kickycan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:09 pm
real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:
real life wrote:
I would like for Kickycan to take a stab at defining at what point that magic line is, but I am not holding my breath.

I already gave you my criteria twice. If you can squash it into nothingness with less than a thumb, it ain't a living human being. Applying a thumb to some pressure point to kill someone is not the same as squashing that person into nothingness.

Not that any of this has anything to do with what I'm arguing here, but I like this game, so what the hell.

Actually , it has everything[/u] to do with what you are arguing, because you began the thread with your claim that the unborn at this early stage is not a living human being. You initiated this line of 'reasoning' but have so far refused to back it up with anything of a definitive nature.

You are running from your assertion, but it keeps catching up to you.

You have several times vaguely described when you still think it is NOT[/u] a living human being, but have feverishly dodged spelling out when you DO[/u] think the unborn becomes a living human being.

Do you have to attempt your squash test before you know? And if he survives then he is alive?

Don't tell us when it ain't a living human, tell us when it is.

So tell us, how many cells DOES[/u] it require to be a living human being? Let's have a number.

Since you are certain that 150 is NOT[/u] a valid number, tell us what is the number?

Okay, let me just give you a real answer, since you're so persistent on this meaningless point. I believe[/b] that a microscopic bundle of 150 cells is not a living human being. I believe this very strongly. I also believe that only a person who has willfully blinded himself with religious dogma (with a few exceptions like Echi...if he's telling the truth) could possibly believe otherwise. I also (hold onto your hat--I think you're going to like this!) don't know the exact point at which life begins. My guess would be when it's heart first beats. Up until that point, it's just a glob of cells to me. But, as I've said before, this is not the main point that I'm arguing. I also believe that anyone who claims to know definitively is either a scientific genius, or an arrogant religious fool. Guess which one I think you are.

There, you have what you wanted now. Your more certain than I am. Boy, that must mean you're right.

Not

You see, I don't have to know. I'm not a scientist. And neither are you, I'm guessing. Neither is George Bush, nor are most of the Christians who oppose this stem cell research on the basis of, "oh my god, those 150 cells no bigger than the gunk in the corner of my eye and with no organs or even a hint of any functioning bodily systems are a human life! That little clump of cells has a soul! Murderer!"

The fact that you are so certain about this issue, which even real live scientists have trouble defining, just shows your arrogance. I love when people who are armchair scientists tell real scientists how and what they should do in their work.

Now I'm done arguing the actual particulars of what I believe, because, as I said many times before, it doesn't change my argument one whit, which is, as I have said before, in different ways in this thread...

Religious dogma has no place in the world of science. It is a hindrance to progress.

Science is about rational empirical evidence. Religion is based on totally irrational blind faith. And ne'er the twain shall meet.

If only we were living in a perfect world...or maybe if America was filled with Buddhists instead of Christians...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:33 pm
Well, I don't think you have to be a scientist to know that life begins at conception. If God knew me before I was knit in the womb, well, that's enough evidence for me. I'd listen to what God said over some scientist (who is just man and man makes what they want things to be) anyday. Sorry, kickycan. That's just the way it is with me. I think scientists can say whatever they want. If the media can put their spin to things who is to say scientists can't do the same thing? I don't put my faith in mankind.

Buddhists? Hmmm. Nah, I'm afraid there'd be too many that didn't like their beliefs either.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:46 pm
Whatever you say, Momma.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:29 pm
kickycan wrote:
Whatever you say, Momma.

See why I stopped??

Anon
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:35 pm
Kicky, forgive me if someone has asked this already and you answered, but at what point in the womb or after delivery perhaps do you feel a baby is living?

I know alot of people feel it's only when the umbilical cord is cut and the baby takes it's first breath.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:55 pm
kickycan--

Yes, I'm being honest. (If I wasn't I'd tell you, right?)

Seriously... The reason I say that a blob of cells should be recognized as a human being is because I can't find any reason to think otherwise. I see where you're coming from, and I wish I could find a good place to draw that line. (I'm not yet sold on your squish test.) But, as of right now, all we know is that this little blob has all the makings of a real person. All it needs to do is bake a while, and no one has the right to deny it.

BTW It always seems a little strange to me that the teams are split up this way. Shouldn't the religious folks be on the side claiming that life begins at some indeterminate point? You know, "In the seventh week God said, 'Let there be life!', and it was so."
My position, on the other hand, seems like the scientific one. (And NO, I'm not a professional scientist.)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 12:18 am
Anon-Voter wrote:
real life wrote:
Momma Angel has a valid point, Terry.

President Bush made no secret of his views and of his moral, religious and philosophical positions on these issues.

He was re-elected by a winning margin of over 8,000,000 more votes than his opponent. He received the largest number of votes in American history by several million. He received nearly 10,000,000 more votes than in his first election as President. Clearly this is a mandate.

These are the views he espoused and these are the views that people voted for him to put in action as President.

To claim that he should somehow run away from the positions that the American people voted for is ludicrous.

I won't debate you anymore on stem cell research, but I will call you on your ignorance!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_election,_2004

Bush 62,040,610...50.7%
Kerry 59,028,111...48.3%
-----------------------
............3,011,499....2.4%

Not 10 Million Vote Difference
In Percentage of total vote 2.4%

It came down to the last state to decide the outcome! If Bush had lost the state of Ohio, we'd be talking about President Kerry!!
Mandate only in the mind of the most wishful dreamers !!!!

Anon

Hi Anon,

Call it ignorance if you like. But it was carelessness as I was putting the figures in from (a faulty) memory.

Yes Bush won by 3,000,000 not 8,000,000. Thanks for the correction.

The 10,000,000 figure I cited was how many MORE votes Bush got in 2004 as opposed to Bush in 2000. In other words, how many more people after seeing his work for 4 years voted for Bush?

Well again I was incorrect, the number is not 10,000,000 but 11,500,000 more people voted for Bush in 2004 than they did in 2000.

My point was, and still is, that the American people knew very well what Bush's positions were on the issues and rewarded him with 11.5 million MORE votes than previously.

(America did NOT know what the JFK/Edwards ticket stood for. JFK tried to explain that he voted for funds for the troops prior to voting against funds for the troops. But that didn't seem to help folks know where he stood.) Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 01:12 am
kickycan wrote:
real life wrote:
kickycan wrote:
real life wrote:
I would like for Kickycan to take a stab at defining at what point that magic line is, but I am not holding my breath.

I already gave you my criteria twice. If you can squash it into nothingness with less than a thumb, it ain't a living human being. Applying a thumb to some pressure point to kill someone is not the same as squashing that person into nothingness.

Not that any of this has anything to do with what I'm arguing here, but I like this game, so what the hell.

Actually , it has everything[/u] to do with what you are arguing, because you began the thread with your claim that the unborn at this early stage is not a living human being. You initiated this line of 'reasoning' but have so far refused to back it up with anything of a definitive nature.

You are running from your assertion, but it keeps catching up to you.

You have several times vaguely described when you still think it is NOT[/u] a living human being, but have feverishly dodged spelling out when you DO[/u] think the unborn becomes a living human being.

Do you have to attempt your squash test before you know? And if he survives then he is alive?

Don't tell us when it ain't a living human, tell us when it is.

So tell us, how many cells DOES[/u] it require to be a living human being? Let's have a number.

Since you are certain that 150 is NOT[/u] a valid number, tell us what is the number?

Okay, let me just give you a real answer, since you're so persistent on this meaningless point. I believe[/b] that a microscopic bundle of 150 cells is not a living human being. I believe this very strongly. I also believe that only a person who has willfully blinded himself with religious dogma (with a few exceptions like Echi...if he's telling the truth) could possibly believe otherwise. I also (hold onto your hat--I think you're going to like this!) don't know the exact point at which life begins. My guess would be when it's heart first beats. Up until that point, it's just a glob of cells to me. But, as I've said before, this is not the main point that I'm arguing. I also believe that anyone who claims to know definitively is either a scientific genius, or an arrogant religious fool. Guess which one I think you are.

There, you have what you wanted now. Your more certain than I am. Boy, that must mean you're right.

Not

You see, I don't have to know. I'm not a scientist. And neither are you, I'm guessing. Neither is George Bush, nor are most of the Christians who oppose this stem cell research on the basis of, "oh my god, those 150 cells no bigger than the gunk in the corner of my eye and with no organs or even a hint of any functioning bodily systems are a human life! That little clump of cells has a soul! Murderer!"

The fact that you are so certain about this issue, which even real live scientists have trouble defining, just shows your arrogance. I love when people who are armchair scientists tell real scientists how and what they should do in their work.

Now I'm done arguing the actual particulars of what I believe, because, as I said many times before, it doesn't change my argument one whit, which is, as I have said before, in different ways in this thread...

Religious dogma has no place in the world of science. It is a hindrance to progress.

Science is about rational empirical evidence. Religion is based on totally irrational blind faith. And ne'er the twain shall meet.

If only we were living in a perfect world...or maybe if America was filled with Buddhists instead of Christians...

Hi Kickycan,

I can well understand your position, and I think it is a fair one.

You do not know when life begins. It is not unreasonable to say so and I think the vast majority of Americans would make the same statement.

I believe life begins at conception. I think there are good medical reasons for believing this and no evidence to indicate otherwise.

But I could be wrong.

So could you.

So, if we say that NO ONE truly knows when life begins, let me ask you : doesn't it make sense, if we are to err, to err on the side of life and caution instead of on the side of death and reckless disregard?

If I come upon an accident victim and I don't know if he is alive, should I assume he is not and act accordingly?

If a firefighter comes upon a burning building, does he assume no one is inside? No. They always assume someone MAY BE inside and act accordingly to save a life that they don't know for certain is there. They go so far as to risk their own lives doing so.

That's the American way.

There are countries filled with Buddhists instead of Christians, if you want to live in one. I hope you stay, but if you think you'd be happier -- well good luck and best wishes.

You seem to show a genuine respect for science, so maybe you should check out http://www.physiciansforlife.org/ and find out that medical science doesn't all come down on the side of embryonic experimentation and abortion. There are skilled, knowledgable physicians on the pro-life side who base their position on their medical experience.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 01:17 am
Terry wrote:
.....it is unconscionable to restrict any research on untenable "moral" grounds.

Does it really have to be explained to you what a ridiculous statement this is?

If so, let me know. I will be glad to oblige.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:26 am
For the religious crowd:

How many lives does a chimera have?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:33 am
echi wrote:
Seriously... The reason I say that a blob of cells should be recognized as a human being is because I can't find any reason to think otherwise. I see where you're coming from, and I wish I could find a good place to draw that line. (I'm not yet sold on your squish test.) But, as of right now, all we know is that this little blob has all the makings of a real person. All it needs to do is bake a while, and no one has the right to deny it.

BTW It always seems a little strange to me that the teams are split up this way. Shouldn't the religious folks be on the side claiming that life begins at some indeterminate point? You know, "In the seventh week God said, 'Let there be life!', and it was so."
My position, on the other hand, seems like the scientific one. (And NO, I'm not a professional scientist.)

I agree with you. I think this whole issue is convulted due to the fact that people confuse life with personhood. I think first consciousness is a better point at which to confer personhood than conception, though I would agree that conception marks the beginning of a new life.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:51 am
Einherjar wrote:
For the religious crowd:

How many lives does a chimera have?

I have asked this question to the religious crowd quite a lot of times, although I've usually used the word, souls, instead of lives. I can't remember actually having this question answered.

You see, the problem I have with echi's view is that you can split the "blob of human cells" twice and create two human beings. You can theoretically destroy the entire thing and grow the ES cells until you have enough to make four or five or ten or a hundred etc. human beings. You can take two and merge them together to get a chimera and form one human being.

Does anybody else see the philosophical conundrum this raises?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 08:54 am
Momma Angel
This argument if one can call it such is an exercise in futility. Your arguments are not rational or based on fact or reason. But rather on your religious beliefs that have no basis in provable fact and as all religion is based on myth and legend. There is not one shred of evidence that the man Jesus ever existed as portrayed. And that he ever did or said what is attributed to him. To continue to use the unknown of religion as a base for your arguments IMO has no validity. It is not an argument when you constantly invoke your religion rather than fact to support the insupportable. When you have something more than your religious beliefs to support you I will be interested to listen. Until than adios.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:03 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
You see, the problem I have with echi's view is that you can split the "blob of human cells" twice and create two human beings. You can theoretically destroy the entire thing and grow the ES cells until you have enough to make four or five or ten or a hundred etc. human beings. You can take two and merge them together to get a chimera and form one human being.

I don't see any philosophical conundrum... only a lack of ethics.
I am not arguing for the existence of a "soul".
I don't know, maybe I missed your point.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:07 am
Einherjar--

What marks the beginning of consciousness?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 11:25 am
echi wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

Echi,

Ethics is a whole different ballgame, and has nothing to do with blind faith!!

Ethics is not only a worthy question, but should be a Topic of it's own. Bioethics and guidelines of what is allowed with stem cell research are very importrant issues!!

Anon
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 04:32 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
echi wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

Echi,

Ethics is not only a worthy question, but should be a Topic of it's own. Bioethics and guidelines of what is allowed with stem cell research are very importrant issues!!

Anon

Since you do not consider the embryo to be any more than a lump of tissue, I am curious as to what you would not think is ethical or what you think should not be allowed.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:03 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
Echi,

Quote:
eth·ic
n.

A set of principles of right conduct.

A theory or a system of moral values: "An ethic of service is at war with a craving for gain"; (Gregg Easterbrook).

ethics (used with a sing. verb) The study of the general nature of morals and of the specific moral choices to be made by a person; moral philosophy.

ethics (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The rules or standards governing the conduct of a person or the members of a profession: medical ethics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English ethik, from Old French ethique(from Late Latin thica, from Greek thika, ethics), and from Latin thic(from Greek thik) both from Greek thikos, ethical, from thos, character. See s(w)e- in Indo-European Roots.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

When did I say anything about "blind faith"?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:10 pm
Have you looked at the Topic Heading?? Blind faith is the main discussion point here!!

Anon
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:53 pm
Re: Case #503 against blind faith--Stem Cell Research
kickycan's opening statement...
Quote:
Stem cell research utilizes cells from a blastocyst, which is a cluster of up to 150 embryonic cells, that could potentially be of use in the treatment of spinal cord injuries, cancer, blindness, heart and muscle damage, among others.

It is my contention that the only reason the U.S. government has not already jumped at the chance to fund research in this area is because of belief in the invisible man in the sky, and the thought that this cluster of 150 cells--smaller than the tip of your eyelash, this little bundle of cells--is a little person. Blind faith, once again getting in the way of science and possible advances that might save thousands of lives. Blind faith, rearing it's ugly head and once again f*cking up our world.

How many people will die this year alone, because of this stunting of progress by those who follow blindly the ridiculous tenets of their religious foolishness?

150 cells is a human life. Gimme a f*cking break.

Anon--

You are, of course, correct that "blind faith" is part of the topic heading. (I did overlook that when posting my previous statement.) However, I have more than once attempted to call attention to the idea that the 'anti-ESC research' argument may not be built upon "blind faith", as kicky's heading assumes. In order to determine whether it is or isn't will require a reasonable debate, which has been nearly impossible on this thread.
0 Replies