Visit the NSA Website, Get a Cookie

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 05:24 am
Did you know that if you have visited the National Security Website they pot a cookie on your computer that expires in 2035 and will let them track all of your web surfing? Do you think that's a violation of your privacy?

The NSA is spying on Everyone
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 872 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 05:52 am
Sounds like it was an error that has been fixed. Now we can all go back to eating our Oreos! Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 04:23 pm
EVERYBODY PANIC. Oh, wait, that's the same kind of thing umpteen million other sites do as well.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 04:29 pm
DD,

I still think that avatar looks like an organ transplant run amok!! Smile Especially animated!

Anon
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 05:30 pm
DrewDad wrote:
EVERYBODY PANIC. Oh, wait, that's the same kind of thing umpteen million other sites do as well.

Government sites are different. When they have cookies on their site it's considered domestic spying and it's highly regulated. Not like commercial sites. I can assure you that having a 30 year expiration was not a mistake. They knew what they were doing.

The fact that it doesn't bother you bothers me. And Anon-Voter, please try to stick to the topic.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 07:00 pm
Are you being serious? Anyone concerned about browser cookies can simply turn them off. It's a frickin' web site.

Now if they were installing a root kit or something, I might be concerned. Perhaps they should consult with Sony.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 08:19 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Are you being serious? Anyone concerned about browser cookies can simply turn them off. It's a frickin' web site.

Now if they were installing a root kit or something, I might be concerned. Perhaps they should consult with Sony.

Well you may be downplaying this because you don't care about your right to privacy. But enough people care for them to have adopted strict regulations regarding cookies on government web sites. And the NSA realised it was important enough to fix it.

But accidentally breaking the law is still breaking the law. If it were a private website owner they would have been fined. What's going to happen to the NSA? Nothing...

ALL ISSUES ARE SERIOUS WHEN IT COMES TO CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS. even little ones like this.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 09:54 am
Re: Visit the NSA Website, Get a Cookie
roverroad wrote:
Did you know that if you have visited the National Security Website they pot a cookie on your computer that expires in 2035 and will let them track all of your web surfing? Do you think that's a violation of your privacy?

The NSA is spying on Everyone

You added a word that is not in the article: "all". Cookies do not allow web sites to track "all" of your web surfing. It may allow them to track how you surf around their site and possibly other government web sites, but I think you are blowing this out of proportion.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:41 am
Re: Visit the NSA Website, Get a Cookie
There ARE ways that the government can use cookies to look at your surfing habits.

From panicware.com:

"If you visit a Web site that places a cookie on your system, then visit another site that "knows" to look for this cookie, the people tracking this information can start to learn something about your surfing habits."

Granted, the government doesn't have to use cookies themselves to take advantage of this practice, but cookies CAN be used to track the websites that you have been to if those websites use cookies and the government knows what cookies to look for.

This is not what the NSA has done, but cookies track, and tracking is nothing more than spying.

I'm sure there are government websites with information about abortion. How do you feel knowing that members of the government that are in unrelated agencies can gather information on people that look for information on abortion on government web sites and decide to send you some flyers from their local church.

There are many ways that the government can use cookies against you.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:25 am
In the most recent browsers, cookies can only be read by the server that posted them. I think there are a lot of things to be peeved about these days without adding this one to your list. I would stick to the one about the President allowing wiretaps of citizens without court oversight.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:28 am
roverroad wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Well you may be downplaying this because you don't care about your right to privacy. But enough people care for them to have adopted strict regulations regarding cookies on government web sites. And the NSA realised it was important enough to fix it.

But accidentally breaking the law is still breaking the law. If it were a private website owner they would have been fined. What's going to happen to the NSA? Nothing...

ALL ISSUES ARE SERIOUS WHEN IT COMES TO CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS. even little ones like this.

Sure ... let's fine the government.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 01:36 pm
engineer wrote:
I think there are a lot of things to be peeved about these days without adding this one to your list.

I am capable of being angry about multiple issues!

engineer wrote:

I would stick to the one about the President allowing wiretaps of citizens without court oversight.

What's the difference?

Ticomaya wrote:

Sure ... let's fine the government.

Don't post just to be an ass. I know you can't fine the government, but you can hold officials accountable. Officials are still citizens and citizens can be fined.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:07 pm
Things happen and I really don't care if they do or do not know where I am on the internet...it's not as if I am downloading bomb making info or sorcerer's secret spells. The fact of the matter is that many web sites slap those pesky cookies on when you drop in so always remember after visiting a site to check and then remove the offending cookie if you don't want it.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:22 pm
Sturgis wrote:
I really don't care if they do or do not know where I am on the internet...it's not as if I am downloading bomb making info or sorcerer's secret spells.

That's not the point! Your statement is classic if those who support the "Patriot Act".

"Well, I have nothing to hide so they can watch me all they want!" If every American shared that attitude we will be watched, "all they want!".

The U.S. Constitution
Amendment IV - Search and seizure. Ratified 12/15/1791.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

It's not just a document!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:30 pm
You appear to want to make a big deal about this story, and that's your right. But like the fella in the article said, "Considering the surveillance power the NSA has, cookies are not exactly a major concern."
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 04:45 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
You appear to want to make a big deal about this story, and that's your right. But like the fella in the article said, "Considering the surveillance power the NSA has, cookies are not exactly a major concern."

Cookies where the government is concerned is an issue that needs to have greater importance because it does fall under Amendment IV. And where constitutional issues are concerned, however small, we need to throw our arm up in the air when we see abuses. Even if accidental!

The problem is, most people have no idea what cookies are and how they can be used against you. Cookies sound friendly enough. But they are the wire in the wire taps! Wire is friendly enough until it is used to hang you from the rafters (figuratively).

It's not the cookies that I am upset about, it's the big brother factor and the fact that you don't care!
0 Replies