Gay Marriage Fight Ahead, Rep. Frank Says

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 10:40 am
The Republicans are bush setting up divisive wedge issues that will be in place for the 2006 election. It's their pattern to do this for all elections to activate their right wing religious base. Watch for flag burning, intelligent design and, of course, same sex marriage wedge issues to proliferate. The biggest wedge issue in 2006 will be border control and illegal immigration---BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 265 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 01:03 pm
Re: Gay Marriage Fight Ahead, Rep. Frank Says
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
....The Massachusetts Family Institute said the 124,000 certified signatures it gathered for the petition, nearly double the number required, was a sign of strong public support for outlawing same-sex marriage....

A sign of strong support? What are they smokin'? There are 6.3 million people in Mass (see: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/DTTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=04000US25&-ds_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U&-mt_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U_PCT012 ). Looks like about 90% are voting age, which is about 5.67 million (see: http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/phc-t31/tab02-21.pdf ). Hence 124,000 is a little over 2% of the population. Even if I'm in a 10-times error, that's still only 20% of voters.

Besides, when I last looked, the sky had not fallen, the birds had not stopped singing and heterosexuals had not stopped getting married, nor had we started to get more divorces than before. I agree this will be a wedge issue in a lot of states, but I really doubt it will be here. Oh, they'll try to make it one. I'll get a bunch of panicky recorded phone calls in the weeks leading up to the election, to fake-o PACs with untraceable phone numbers, like I got when same-sex marriage became legal here, but I predict/hope that in Mass. it will be a lot of sound and fury but ultimately signifying nothing.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 06:45 pm
A part of me wants this vote.

After we vote to protect the right to marry, the yahoos on the religious right will shut up and go away (right?).

Better yet this fight can hurt the right wing of the Republican party. Anything that shows how extreme the Republican party has become in the position it makes will make the pendulum swing back that much quicker.

Look at the things that Republicans are promoting besides taking away marriage rights.

- Spying on Americans without court oversight
- Use of torture and imprisonment without due process.
- Making it a felony for churches to give food to undocumented workers.

Let's have this fight and make it part of the extremist Religious Right Republican theme.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 10:29 am
A vote on this would be great. We could make it a gathering -- vote and then go eat. Smile

The A2K bloc.
0 Replies