Is there anything better than being born beautiful?

JLNobody

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 06:17 pm
It doesn't hurt at all, Letty.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 06:20 pm
A smile and a hug for you, JL.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 06:24 pm
Embarrassed Surprised Very Happy
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 06:57 pm
JLN, maybe i overstated things when i expressed a preference for genius over beauty. I'll recast my vote for musical talent, following the example of many in this thread.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:04 pm
Re: Is there anything better than being born beautiful?
BubbaGumbo wrote:
If you could choose one trait/asset to be born with, assuming your others were average, what would it be?

Possibilities include: intelligence, wit, kind heart, strength, beauty, rich family, kind parents, etc....

After examining the possibilities I feel beauty is easily the most desirable trait, as your life is a practically a cakewalk when you're beautiful. If you are good looking, people are naturally attracted to you, they respond favorably to you, you will almost always be popular, and you will have little difficulty finding a mate. I think that would surely lead to a succesful and enjoyable life.

Anyone care to refute my assumption or argue for another trait/asset?

I would choose honesty because with honesty a person can go places they never could have dreamed of going. I'm talking honest as a whole. Someone who's honest about every aspect of their life. Who they are, what they believe, how they perceive things, how they view other people. Without honesty all the other traits have very little value.

An intelligent person who's not honest could easily be called a liar.

A witty person who's not honest could be seen as cruel and insensitive.

A kind hearted person who's not honest could be seen as manipulative.

A person with great strength who's not honest could be seen as domineering.

A beautiful person who's not honest could be seen as vain.

A person not generally considered "beautiful" who's not honest could be considered insecure.

Just my oppinion though.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:20 pm
and trustworthy, self-confident and generous.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:15 pm
I chose musical talent between itself and beauty. I'm not sure there is anything inherently great about being musically gifted, it's certainly no guarantee of this success and fame that we all crave at one time or another. Between the two I was thinking more along the lines of what the musical talent would be a by product of.

For example, someone who is able to produce lyrics that truly touch a generation might be a person who is in touch or in tune with a certain side of themselves that I like. Or maybe another person might be able to produce sounds that almost literally echo in eternity, again for similar reasons. Musical talent seems to be something that might develop through experience in life, I'm just not sure how beauty equates in this respect.

I did look back again at the original post though, a kind heart seems like an intriguing choice to me. This question certainly links in well with how we perceive life, why we're here, what is the purpose (if any), what do we want to get out of it and do we expect or need a reward at the end??
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:50 pm
Ashers, a "kind heart" is a valuable possession. I do believe that VIRTUE IS ITS OWN REWARD. Compassionate, generous people are the happiest. They are both compassionate and generous because they are happy, and they are happy because they are compassionate and generous.
On the other hand, EVIL IS ITS OWN PUNISHMENT. How would you like to live in Hitler's head, full of the poisons, hatred and resentment?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:53 pm
Then again, musical talent alone can be quite troubling too.

If anyone remembers Mama Cass (Mamas & Papas) or
Karen Carpenter, who both, in my opinion, have had incredible
voices and great talent, suffered tremendously from eating
disorders (one was obese, the other anorexic) and subsequently died from their disorders.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 02:00 pm
Agreed on both counts to be honest.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:08 pm
what a great question! I would choose wisdom - I'm a fan of Athena (Greek goddess) and the words she said to Paris ring true for me everyday -"What is use of power without wisom? With wisdom you know how to find power and use it wisely."

Otherwise, I would choose intelligence as second best. Looks never matter for me - I am a gemini and focus on a "Beautiful Mind."
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:49 pm
A big step towards the acquisition of wisdom is the rejection of astrology.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:53 pm
An even bigger step towards that acquisition is knowing better than to reject anything.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:00 pm
That would more than "wisdom"; it would be an expression of "enlightenment."
0 Replies

Manchumba

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 05:26 am
Any one here watch Beauty and the Geek?
Neither Beauty of Brains alone seem to get you much. But I would rather be beautiful all things else being equal
0 Replies