Is there anything better than being born beautiful?

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 02:28 am
If you could choose one trait/asset to be born with, assuming your others were average, what would it be?

Possibilities include: intelligence, wit, kind heart, strength, beauty, rich family, kind parents, etc....

After examining the possibilities I feel beauty is easily the most desirable trait, as your life is a practically a cakewalk when you're beautiful. If you are good looking, people are naturally attracted to you, they respond favorably to you, you will almost always be popular, and you will have little difficulty finding a mate. I think that would surely lead to a succesful and enjoyable life.

Anyone care to refute my assumption or argue for another trait/asset?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,456 • Replies: 74
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 05:56 am
I think intelligence might be a bit better, but I have no interest in arguing the point. I'd just like to suggest that a beautiful person whose life has been a cakewalk may be in for a very rude awakening when age eliminates her beauty.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 06:30 am
i'd opt for a kind heart over beauty or intelligence. what you put in is what you get back, that's how friendships for life are made.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 06:50 am
Hmmm..and what about beautiful, intelligent women with a kind heart, Dag?

(It's my compliment for your new year).
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 07:31 am
A positive sense of self would be good to have. There are many beautiful people who never see it in themselves and I figure that to be a torture. Now if an average looking gal or guy or even a rather homely guy or gal has a sense of self worth and is positive about their own self then they to some degree have a better time in life than the guy or gal with the looks who doesn't think they're worth a plug nickel.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 07:56 am
I realize that not everyone can be The Dys.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 08:04 am
But some can be very near behind...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 08:42 am
I gotta tell you, I've known many beautiful, unhappy people. There are some people drawn to beauty but more people, it seems, are too insecure within themselves and threatened by a beautiful person. Women are jealous and men are afraid of a beautiful woman. Cindy Crawford, the former model, did not attend her Senior prom because no one had the guts to ask her. The same goes for beautiful men. Beautiful people are often ostracized and assumptions are made about their character before they even open their mouths. Stupid, arrogant, stuck-up, selfish, dishonest, etc.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 09:30 am
What eoe said.

Doesn't seem that there's any one trait that assures happiness.

Insight might be better, as it gives one the ability to recognize the good and bad, with the chance to maximize one and minimize the other.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 01:29 pm
All other things being equal (i.e. 'average'), I want money.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 01:44 pm
Nietzsche, that's an answer Diogenes would probably approve. if i could choose one talent, it would be musical genius. there are any number of geniuses who led short, and perhaps unhappy, lives, but i would gladly risk paying the price.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 01:47 pm
And how many talents make a genius?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 01:58 pm
Yit, having musical genius would be my idea of heaven, except for savantism; then the genius is self-limiting and doesn't seem to integrate into happiness. Not that I would really know--the last statement was from knowing some people with autism who were undeniable geniuses, but who couldn't comfortably participate in 'society.' Not that that is always necessary.

Francis, your question might be the most important in terms of the abilitiy to use one's talents as part of a satisfying and fulfilling lifestyle. How many talents do you possess? I would guess many, you lovable Frenchman, you, especially after reading the last few of your comments to Letty. Sigh.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 02:55 pm
Diane, you are a friend. Thanks for patting me on the back.

On the other hand, as Nietzche wanted money and Yit genius, I asked how many talents (of gold) make a genius?
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 11:06 pm
I would choose kind, loving parents because that guarantees that life will be happy. Most of the people happy in this world today are mainly because they had nice, loving parents or guardians. As for beauty, everyone desires beauty but it is no guaranty towards happiness. If I was to choose a superior trait in myself, I'd choose something hidden like intelligence, over which I could still keep control. If I chose beauty, I'd be stuck with it.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 11:21 pm
Beena wrote:
I would choose kind, loving parents because that guarantees that life will be happy. Most of the people happy in this world today are mainly because they had nice, loving parents or guardians.

Sorry, this is plainly false.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 11:24 pm
It's TRUE! But then again it's my opinion and you're free not to believe in it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 11:25 pm
I like the parents thing, but what do I know I'm still a stick kid
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 11:45 pm
Beena wrote:
It's TRUE! But then again it's my opinion and you're free not to believe in it.

Please don't hide behind 'it's just my opinion'. And, look, I'm not trying to give you a hard time - but no, it's not true, and it has nothing to do with my opinion.

You said: "loving parents ... guarantees that life will be happy."

No, it doesn't - nothing does.

You also said, "Most of the people happy in this world today are mainly because they had nice, loving parents or guardians."

How exactly would you verify this claim, given its supposed 'truth'?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 11:50 pm
I would choose to be born with an exception constitution of body, mind, and emotion. One of those people that heal quickly, and spring back with less effort than most. That would be great.
0 Replies