"La Boheme" - through the eyes of Baz Luhrmann

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 04:40 pm
Baz Luhrmann of "Moulin Rouge" fame now turns his sights on Broadway with a revisionist version of perhaps everyone's favorite opera, "La Boheme." Zefferelli has directed stage version of several operas including "Carmen" but Luhrmann is indeed more innovative and daring:

http://www.bohemeonbroadway.com/indexdsl.html

Opera has found its way into popular entertainment before and filmed versions like Scorcese's "Madame Butterfly" have stimulated new interest in what seemed to be musical fare for elitists and Italian New York City cab drivers. One of my recent favorites: the Zubin Mehta "Turandot" filmed at the Forbidden City in China.

Of course, go off the poll or add to it if you will!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,402 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 05:07 pm
Incidentally, the DVD (also VHS) of the original Australian production is about to be released, the best price is at DVD Universe:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?PID=5258163&style=movie&frm=lk_bizrate2
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 06:03 pm
Hurray for me!
I made Wagner the #1.
OK...
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 06:49 pm
Aaahhh!. I can't vote. I can't make up my mind. It's between La Boheme, Carmen and Turandot. I need Aida. Where's Aida? I'd vote for Aida.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 06:51 pm
Yes, I too love Wagner, but for his orchestral music and opera highlights, not his operas. I spent a weekend one afternoon watching this weird version of "Parsifal".

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0084476

After about 4 1/2 hours, I decided that I had had about enough, and even if I had missed my one chance at "culture", I would pass, thank you. Cool
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 08:24 am
Where´s "Rigoletto"?
I want to vote for Rigoletto..
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 09:32 am
Okay, I've added "Aida" and "Rigoletto." BTW, the DVD of Luhrman's "La Boheme" is at pre-paid discount until the 11th. Another source is

www.dvdplanet.com

Their brick-and-mortor stores is actually near my house but I try to stay out of there so I don't end up with a huge VISA bill.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 04:44 pm
Can I Vote Again
I voted for La Boheme, did not see Carmen, my frist opera ever and a sentimental favorite. In addition I met Ted Geisel (sp) that night in 1965 I was sitting right next to him. What a treat.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 05:00 pm
Carmen is there! There's been several films -- the Carlos Saura version of 1983 I believe is available on VHS but haven't checked for a DVD. It won a British Academy Award and was nominated for an Oscar. The Placido Domingo, Francesco Rosi version I have and it's on location and very well done.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 05:05 pm
I have Camen with Maria Callas. I have seen one film of Carmen I think it might have been the Carlos Saura version you refer to. I thought it was great but I think I remember a lot of criticizim of it, is that a right memory. I also saw Rigoletto on TV once, PBS I think. The setting was a NYC apartment.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 05:08 pm
The Francesco Rosi is available on VHS and DVD. There's an amatuer review headed up here that's way off base (is there anything worse than a user panning of a movie online?). Of course, this was filmed in Andalucia as a movie, not a stage production and although I belive the Scorcese "Madame Butterfly" and the Mehta "Turandot" are better efforts, the singing and orchestral playing are excellent on this version.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0087034
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 05:09 pm
Don't be shy about having me add to the poll choices!
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 05:54 am
Thanks for adding Aida and Rigoletto, Lightwizard. I voted for Aida. Can I vote for three more? Can I vote twice? Very Happy Once is not enough.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 09:00 am
Oh, voter fraud, huh! There could be a thread of ten favorite operas.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2002 07:39 pm
My favorite is also missing, Richard Strauss' "Der Rosenkavalier". Tears are always in my eyes when the Marschallin relinquishes her claim on Octavian and tells Sophie to go to him. Also, I believe that the Rosenkavalier waltz is better than anything of Johann Strauss, junior or senior. I also am in partial agreement with Phoenix on Wagner. I dislike the "Ring" as well as "Parsifal", but I very much like "Tannhauser" and "Lohengrin", the sources of much of the orchestral music one usually hears.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 25 Nov, 2002 10:07 pm
What, no Mozart? The Marriage of Figaro would get my vote, and Don Giovanni and Cosi Fan Tutte would probably be in my top ten.

And, having first become acquainted with opera in the 1970's -- when Sutherland and Horne were in their glory, and doing their best to bring back bel canto -- I'd like to see something by Rossini, Bellini, or Donizetti (like Semiramide, or Norma, or L'Elisir d'Amore) on the list.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 04:18 pm
Bree- I see that you are in NYC so you might want to take in a performance of the MET's current "Lucia". I saw it last week and found it excellent. Ruth Ann Swenson's Lucia was one of the three best I have ever heard, the other two being Sills and Sutherland. I am not fortunate enough to have heard Callas (live). Three other Donizetti operas that I thoroughly enjoyed were his "three queens" which Sills brought back when she was at New York City Opera.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 30 Nov, 2002 03:20 pm
Sorry, bree -- an oversight. Added "Marriage of Figaro" to this mix and in anyone has votes for "Don Giovani," "Cosi Fan Tutti" or "The Magic Flute,
" I'll happily add those.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 03:15 pm
I have been anxiously awaiting Luhrmann's "La Boheme" for which I have tickets in January. After seeing the ultra rave reviews in today's papers, I am even more anxious.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2002 03:58 pm
Haven't yet watched my DVD of the Australian production with basically the same sets, production design, et al.
0 Replies