edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 09:19 pm
BM
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 09:29 pm
Quote:
AGGRESSIVE FIGHTING FOR THE RIGHT IS THE NOBLEST SPORT THE WORLD AFFORDS."

...wording of the plaque that sits on Donald Rumsfeld's desk.

That quote made me think of this quote:

People never do evil so thoroughly and happily as when they do it from moral conviction - BLAISE PASCAL
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:58 am
Well that's interesting.

I have noticed too, that this prognostication (led by the opening statement, of course, but still...) is totally USA-centric.
Is that intentional, do you think, or unconscious?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 06:17 am
I assume that question is to me, McTag.

It is entirely purposeful. Partly that is a consequence of my own area of interest in political matters (America provides a wonderful subject) and partly because America dominates the world (which is why more of the world's citizens are quite understandably concerned with it than with any other external state).
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:07 am
blatham wrote:

It is entirely purposeful. Partly that is a consequence of my own area of interest in political matters (America provides a wonderful subject) and partly because America dominates the world (which is why more of the world's citizens are quite understandably concerned with it than with any other external state).

The question was actually to everyone who has contributed up to now. All wrote only about the USA.
It is a bone of contention to those outside looking on, that folks within the USA behave (and appear to think) as though no other regions or peoples were worthy of consideration.
And some display a worrying lack of knowledge or even curiosity about overseas matters.
Present company always excepted, of course, but I think you are familiar with this concern.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:09 am
bm
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:55 am
McTag wrote:
blatham wrote:

The question was actually to everyone who has contributed up to now. All wrote only about the USA.
It is a bone of contention to those outside looking on, that folks within the USA behave (and appear to think) as though no other regions or peoples were worthy of consideration.
And some display a worrying lack of knowledge or even curiosity about overseas matters.
Present company always excepted, of course, but I think you are familiar with this concern.

Yes.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:02 pm
It is certainly true that many, perhaps even most, Americans are self-absorbed and that their interest and knowlege of the world decreases with distance. I don't expect that is much different than folks living in Canada, Britain, China, Iraq, or anywhere else in the world. Once you get past the "many/most", I believe you would find that Americans tend to be pretty well educated and informed overall. If anything, I think Americans may be more concerned with conditions abroad than others. We are almost always the first and among the most generous when disasters strike. Americans are suckers for photos of starving children, devastated landscapes, and reports of brutal conditions. We don't want to dominate the world, but we would like to see the blessings of liberty flourishing everywhere. We find it hard to accept that in some cultures women are enslaved, or that it might be "acceptable" for a whole people to be ruthlessly controlled by the few. We try to help make the world better, safer and more just. These characteristics are not JUST American, the British, the Commonwealth, and former colonies share the humanistic values with us.

This thread started by our friend Blatham, whose fixation on American politics is well known, seemed focused on political trends/directions in this country, not the world. Hence, the replies have been responsive to the thread's apparent direction.

Blatham and many of those active on the political threads are convinced that the current administration is consciously and with intent dismanteling forever the Constitution of the United States. Every event and speech is fervently scanned in hopes of finding more "evidence" that their fears are justified. Any news that is not tinged with despair and criticism of the administration are discounted as being merely proof that the press is controlled by shadowy figures in the Republican Party. The President is in one breath the "village idiot", and in the next the antichrist of politics. Many on the left firmly believe that only cosmopolitan intellectuals and celebraties living in New York and California REALLY know what's good for the nation. All those who support the administration and its policies are blind fools or willing tools of tyranny. Their candidates are beaten at the polls, so there must have been some hanky-panky involved.

These are sincere people, but they tend to be blinded by their fears that the future will be a disaster. They don't seem to me to have much faith in the Commons. The world is changing and these folks are honest in their belief that changes should be resisted. These are compassionate people who see what they believe is injustice, and they may even be right some of the time, and insist that no sacrifice is too great to rectify the wrong they believe was made by the United States. These are the children of those Pacifists who resisted the idea that the United States should join in the battle against the Axis Powers. "Its none of our business to shed blood in a political fight between the Nazis and the Commies." "FDR could have prevented Pearl Harbor, but instead secretly manuevered the United States into WWII." "The Cold War was just an excuse to advance the cause of the Military/Industrial Complex, and to advance the American dreams of world domination." Oh well ........
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 12:49 pm
Re: 2006 - The issues and the signs
blatham wrote:
I think there's an odd conundrum for political junkies like us - the present probably always (or damned close to always) seems to have a characteristic of dire import. We tend to feel as if we are sitting on the edge of serious and profound changes that might easily send us hurtling quite out of control and in quite the wrong directions. Our friends and family members fearing for our emotional balance suggest good and comforting reasons why we ought to chill out. Or, less empathetically and fearing for their own emotional balance, they tell us to "shut the fukk up for once!"

The charge or suggestion of pre-clinical paranoid delusion isn't easy to defend against. We know it might be true.

One compelling bit of evidence for this diagnosis is the observation we make of ourselves, if we are honest, that anyone who disagrees with us about the 'tipping-point' acuteness of the present is clearly suffering the reverse disorder - quaaludia, the belief that butterflies and bats would spend their wee hours tripping the moonlight fantastic together like Fred and Ginger if only all our ears were attunded, like the President's, to the voice of the Good Shepard and, of course, if there was a flat-tax system. We think these people are dangerous lunatics and we should admit that we do. Once you've frantically yanked a bat-creature out of your hair and seen with even the briefest glance that it had the same face as Richard Nixon, any notion of benevolent guidance henceforth gains the odor of butterfly landing on a lightbulb.

finn wrote:
This seems to be an interesting way to hide an assertion of certain correctness within an insincere admission of possible error.

ISSUE ONE: The imperial presidency.

Whether democracy, in any fullsome sense of that word (ie., the framers' sense of it or your and my sense of it) will survive the accretion of power by the present crowd with attendant loss of balancing institutions, is not certain. Retention of the congress in Republican hands will push this change further. Retention of Republican control of congress and the presidency in 2008 will likely make the matter irretrievable for decades, if ever.

finn on [i]the imperial presidency[/i] wrote:
Well, at least you acknowledge that (at present) the falling of Democracy's sky is not certain.

The real issue here is to what extent the executive branch has assumed greater powers, the balancing institutions have seen their's diminish and, most importantly, what peril, if any, this presents to the nation. I appreciate that for you and others there really is no issue in this regard, but if you are truly willing to acknowledge some of your fears may be unfounded, you should have no problem acknowledging that your assertions are debateable.

Retention of the congress by Republicans may very well maintain whatever the status quo is, but there is no certainty at all that it will, or that it will advance the situation in the direction you fear. Congressional Republicans are by no means as unified in their support of the President's policies as they were during his first term: McCain's anti-torture bill and the extension of the Patriot Act are two legislative examples that immediately come to mind.

It is possible, but unlikely that Republicans will strengthen their hold on Congress in 2006. It is more likely that they will retain their control with a diminshed majority in the house and simply hold on in the Senate. It is quite possible that they will lose the Senate.

No matter what happens (including the unlikely strengthened grip on Congress) there is no reason to believe that an essentially lame duck Bush will enjoy the level of support he had in the past. In the end, individual Republicans (in the main) are more concerned with maintaining and increasing their own personal power than that of the President. Their goals post 2006 will be to save those seats that are up for grabs in 2008 and securing the White House for their party. If they at all perceive that this requires them to distance themselves from Bush, they will not hesitate to do so.

Your dire prediction about continued Republican control of the congress and White House is a great example of the paranoia of which you led off your post.

Side note: We better hope for a Democrat winning the presidency in 2008, because they have never been guilty of establishing an Imperial Presidency!

ISSUE TWO: Information control.

The combination of increasingly effective modern marketing techniques deployed in the polical sphere, the already established fact of an entirely and exclusively conservative/Republican media system, the continuation of those factors working to smother a viable independent and critical press (corporatization, fragmentation of audience, Orwellian demands/bullying towards state-sanctioned consensus), along with further damage to FOI access and the certain growth of covert 'news' agents and mis-information/state-controlled propaganda systems will continue to erode citizens' ability to truly understand and effect governance policies.

finn on [i]information control[/i] wrote:
I agree with all of this except your absurd assertion of an "established fact of an entirely and exclusively conservative/Republican media system." This is the sort of hyperbolic comment that typically, sorely undercuts your arguments.

It is important to note, however, that there is no reason at all to believe that the trends you have identified will not continue under Democratic control of the congress and the White House.

ISSUE THREE: the promotion of fear within the polity

If you don't grasp this one and how it facilitates oppressive and dicatorial governance then you either haven't read Orwell or you are such a daddy-image loving weenie that you deserve your paternalized and hate-filled future. In Manhattan, the only community to actually suffer an attack from 'terrorists', a full 80+% of the electorate did NOT vote for Bush last election. This ought to provide a clue as to the manufactured nature of the fear and hatred being nurtured in the American psyche.

finn on [i]fear mongering[/i] wrote:
How wonderfully ironic that a Liberal warns of a paternalized future. Oh, and by the way, we all know that Liberals are incapable of hatred in any negative sense of the emotion. They only hate the 'bad-guys': the military, corporations, the rich, fundamental Christians, right-wing pundits, opponents of abortion, et al.

And the Left/Liberals/Democrats do not employ the tactic of fear mongering in their strategy to obtain power and promote their policies?

"Our civil liberties are being stripped from us. We will soon live in a Orwellian police state!"

"Global warming is going to result in the destruction of life on this planet!"

"An invasion of Iraq will lead to World War III!"

I'm afraid that I've entirely missed the clue presented by the 2004 presidential election results in NYC. Are you suggesting that New Yorkers are not afraid of another terrorist attack? Are you suggesting that the only reason anyone had for voting for Bush or Kerry in 2004 was whether or not they were afraid of terrorism? Is it your argument that if 80% of New Yorkers followed their decades long pattern of voting Democrat in presidential elections and didn't vote for Bush that anti-terrorist policies and rhetoric is trumped up fear mongering?

You haven't been in NYC all that long blatham, but already you've developed the The Big Apple's conviction that it is the center of the world.

Washington DC also sustained an attack on 9/11, but I suppose you covered this with your use of the qualifier "community." As the DC attack was limited to the Pentagon, there was no "community" involved. Good Grief, how could there be when the target was the evil heart of the American Military-Industrial Complex?! I'm sure you fall short of some of your fellow lefties glee that the Pentagon was hit, but, let's face it, it wasn't a "community." Of course the people who work there and the families of those who died might think otherwise, but hey who are they to argue with a Liberal when it comes to the definition of "Community?"

Fear is an appropriate motivator when the threat is real. If the threat is manufactured out of whole cloth or exaggerated far beyond its normal scope, it's fear mongering and of real concern. Now we just have to debate intelligently on what is an actual threat and what is not. You, apparently, have gone on record as arguing that another major terrorist attack is not a real threat.

ISSUE FOUR: war makes for huge corporate profits and peace is an anti-capital growth money-loser

Forget all the rest of Moore's film and keep in view the single segment that covered the meeting of corporate execs in Washington slavering over the huge bucks to be made in Iraq. That happened. You saw it. The great modern growth of privatized military services and mercenary functions along with the traditional weapons manufacturering enterprises and Pentagon budget outlay only adds impetus to the dynamic of profit-making through the happy circumstance of war. Signing onto Kyoto would, we hear, seriously damage the US economy. It would be interesting to compare that projected level of damage to what would result if peace were to break out.

finn on [i]war profiteering[/i] wrote:
War does indeed offer opportunities for some to make profit, but there is plenty of evidence that the economy prospers in times of peace as well, and so your statement is untrue.

In virtually every human action and event there will be an element of economics. That there are billions of dollars made on the basis that humans enjoy sexual relationships does not imply that sex is a product of capital profit. Certainly the people who make large sums of money from our affection for sex will, if they can, try and influence public thinking and political decisions in such a way that their profits are at least sustained, and hopefully, for them, increased.

The same can be said for those who profit from war. What we think about those who not only profit from war, but who attempt to influence public thinking and political decisions to enhance their ability to make their profit is one thing. It is another thing to suggest that this is the only "real" reason we go to war. And to the extent that it is argued that Republican presidents are more influenced by the military-industrial complex than their Demcrat counterparts:

Presidents during whose terms wars were either initiated or significantly advanced:

Republicans:
Lincoln
McKinley
Nixon
GHW Bush
GW Bush

Democrats:
Polk
Buchanan
Wilson
Roosevelt
Truman
Kennedy
Johnson

This is not to, necessarily, say that any of these wars were not necessary or that all of these men were the tools of war profiteers. It is simply to point out that no political party in America has a monopoly on war or peace.

ISSUE FIVE: incumbency inertia

Almost nobody gets voted out of office now. Party manipulation, the huge cost of running for office, big-money investment in the election process, highly sophisticated computer-drawn redistricting along with an understandably apathetic electorate all work to maintain power in the hands of those who hold it.

finn on [i]incumbency inertia[/i] wrote:
We tend to agree here, except that this is a pehnomenon that predates GW Bush, and the Republican control of congress. From time to time the rascals are thrown out, and there is a shift in power from one party to the other. You can argue that this should happen every year or even every four years, but then we would disagree.

In any case, I doubt too many Democrats will bemoan incumbant inertia if and when their party gains control of congress.

ISSUE SIX: the stealth campaign (their own wording) to politicize the courts

The Federalist Society has changed the horizon regarding the US court system through organizing and training the conservative/republican leaning lawyers to move into key positions of legal power while being prudently quiet as to their ideologies. They've been very successful. The influence falling out from this project is difficult to predict as these judges aren't ideologues in any sense comparable to the Rove or O'Reilly sort (see Luttig's recent ruling on the Padilla case). But the effects could prove critical on a number of deeply important issues. For example, if Alito still holds the same notions expressed earlier regarding vesting greater power in the Presidency, then ISSUE ONE above will gain even more impetus just as this battle is about to be fought.

finn on [i]a politicized judiciary[/i] wrote:
Once again you characterize a particular trend as being advanced only by Conservatives or Republicans. That Liberals and Democrats may not be as effective as their adversaries in achieving a certain goal, doesn't, at all, mean they don't share the same goal or prize it as highly.

Liberals and Democrats have been as active in the politicization of judical appointments as respects blocking them as Conservatives and Republicans have been in advancing them.

In any case there is a difference between stacking a court with political stooges who will rule in ways that will promote and strengthen the power of a party, and in advancing the appointment of judges who there are reason to believe will rule in ways that are in alignment with a particular set of values or principles. Do you believe the appointment of Ruth Ginzberg was the result of a diabolical plot attempting to ensure the White House for the Democrats in perpetuity? Do you deny that she was a liberal/Democrat leaning lawyer before her appointment to a judicial seat, and, for that matter, has leaned left ever since she became a judge (including her current seat on the SC)?

So, that's how fukked up the scene looks to me. But there are some good signs too.

GOOD SIGN ONE: Patrick Fitzgerald. There are people in positions of responsibility who actually have integrity and who give a **** beyond gaining power and wealth for themselves and buddies. Judge Luttig, the conservative judge who just slapped down the administration for its cavalier manipulation of the court system; the Republican judge in Pennsylvania who pushed back against the ID movement with astonishing clarity of mind and integrity.

finn on [i]Good Sign One[/i] wrote:
Yes there are, and some of them are even Democrats and/or Liberals.

GOOD SIGN TWO: Jack Abramoff. This wonderful scandal (wonderful in that it has blown open) has the potential to at least somewhat inform the broad electorate as to the level of corruption that the modern Republican machine has achieved. This is NOT an equal opportunity matter, it is overwhelmingly a Republican scandal. It has the potential to gather up people like Norquist and Reed who, as key Republican power-brokers and organizers, have made fortunes for themselves and for their party while fundamentally undercutting the democratic process in the US. It also has the potential to reach up into the Republican congress and the White House and strip away the deceits and the spin and reveal, once again, that trusting politicians to be working for YOUR best interests is delusional and they need to be watched and that requires a real transparency of operation and an independent press.

finn on [i]Good Sign Two[/i] wrote:
Yes, this is a good sign in that it is a sign that the system works. It remains to be seen where it will go and how far it will reach, but I hope that all who are guilty are held accountible.

GOOD SIGN THREE: Iraq

In 1992, the neoconservatives at the American Enterprise Institute wrote a paper wherein they postulated that a Pearl Harbor type of incident would provide the necessary catalyst for re-instituting government of the sort they thought real spiffy. This group includes all the architects of the War on Iraq and most of the key players in this administration. They got 9/11 and they ran with it and still are.

What those of us who think those men dangerous nuts have now been bequeathed is the disaster in Iraq for which they are responsible. This hair-ripping outcome has but one good facet...the extremism, hubris, unilalateral idiocies, and cavalier war-mongering (where war is fought by others and other people's children, NOT by them) has become increasingly evident to the US electorate.

finn on [i]Good Sign Three[/i] wrote:

Here's is your most paranoid of accusations. Why don't you come out and state what you have so obviously implied: 9/11 was staged to provide Neo-conservatives with a catalyst for establishing a government of their preference.

Your celebration that the American people see Iraq through your wild eyes is completely unfounded.

As for "cavalier war-mongering." This little bit of emotional spittle is impossible to ignore since it is such a mainstay of the Left's argument against the war in Iraq. When was the last time any war was fought by the leaders who initiated it? Are you suggesting that the children of Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Powell, Wolfowitz, Pearl et al are required to fight in a war that their parents have initiatied or supported? Are you suggesting that those who have volunteered to serve in our armed services should only be asked to do so when you and your friends agree with the purpose of that war? Do you suggest that these very same volunteers are, in the majority, duped fools for believing their cause is just and for supporting Bush?

GOOD SIGN FOUR: polls

As absolutely depressing as it has been to see Bush's poll numbers decline this slowly, they have finally declined and it is difficult to imagine anything bringing them back up. He's dead as far as any hope the Republicans had that he might become another Reagan. The polls also show an increasing perception by the electorate that the policies and ideas of this administration and its conservative supporters has been both extremist and misdirected. Thank god, I say.

finn on [i]Good Sign Four[/i] wrote:

Another Reagan in what sense? That he won two terms as president? Been there, done that.

That he might some day hence be considered in the top tier of American presidents? Way too soon to say that hope is dead, and certainly the current polls have little bearing on it.

finn in conclusion wrote:

As I've reread your comments I very much find the paranoia of which you joke: excessive and irrational suspicion and distrust of the political Right; bordering on, if not crossing into, the realms of fear and hatred you often warn and rail against.

Many of my counter-arguments have been premised on the notion that both parties engage in the sort of base practices which you decry, and have done so for some time. This of course doesn't excuse them. Nor does it paint a picture of America as a perfect nation where truth, and justice are synonomous with the American Way. However it does, I think, go to show the the American system of government is resiliant and has been fairly successful in dealing with the worst excesses of ou rleaders. It also suggest that your dire predicions are unfounded, just as you yourself seem to argue with your list of Good Signs.

In addition I have tried to argue that some what you perceive to be evil, because it is being perpetrated by the Right, is nothing of the sort, nor is it when engaged in by the Left.

In other words, take a deep breath and relax, Big Bad W and his neo-con cronies are not going to turn America into a dictatorship and or destroy the rest of the world (well, maybe Canada, but no all of the rest of the world).

On another thread someone pointed to this one as a thread of major importance. I can only hope she was being ironic, but, unfortunately, I feel certain that she was not.

What's left to say but: Bernie, shut the fukk up for once!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:08 pm
Quote:
We are almost always the first and among the most generous when disasters strike.
Actually, you are quite far down the list of charitable donaters to the world per capita (numerous posts on this by nimh and others). Now, I've seen but don't recall where Canada fits on this scale. But the important point here isn't Canada vs the US or even the US vs other countries. It is reality vs what many Americans mistakenly believe about their country. To the degree you get that wrong, to that degree you'll get much else wrong.

Quote:
We don't want to dominate the world,
If that 'we' means you and your neighbor next door, no you probably don't. But that isn't the critical 'we'. Key figures in your administration desire exactly this alignment of power and have expressed it in writing. Paraphrasing but only slightly, "to ensure that no other power arises to challenge US economic and military hegemony"

Quote:
We try to help make the world better, safer and more just.
Frequently, these values play little part in how the US acts abroad. The number of autocratic regimes and murderous dictators supported by US policy over the last fifty plus years speaks against your idealized generality. I'd like it if your statement reflected reality, but it doesn't.

Quote:
Blatham and many of those active on the political threads are convinced that the current administration is consciously and with intent dismanteling forever the Constitution of the United States.
A careless mistatement of anything I've said. You have a situation where your vice president wishes to increase the powers of the Presidency (by admission) with attendent decrease in the power of congress and the courts and it remains quite unclear as to how far he desires to push this imbalance. As tyranny lies in that direction and as it is obviously counter-intentional to the balance of powers principle of your founders, this is no small matter.

Quote:
They don't seem to me to have much faith in the Commons.
Down-side-up. You have now the most secretive administration probably in your history. Investigations of it are routinely blocked and stonewalled. FOI funding has been slashed. "Executive priviledge" is forwarded regularly to deny access to process and content. Propaganda systems and agents are put in place to displace actual investigative journalism. Etc etc. All of these strategies and more exist in order to manage what the Commons will learn. And that is because the Commons are not trusted by this administration.

I'll leave it there.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:13 pm
Paranoia run amuck.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:26 pm
finn

Great ending!

Now, let's dig in and concentrate on a single issue. I understand I raised many, and you've spoken to a bunch well and to another bunch less than well. But discussions like this are in danger of spinning a million places superficially with greatly diminished value.

Pick any one single issue and I'll be as careful as possible in addressing it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 05:11 pm
blatham wrote:
finn

Great ending!

Now, let's dig in and concentrate on a single issue. I understand I raised many, and you've spoken to a bunch well and to another bunch less than well. But discussions like this are in danger of spinning a million places superficially with greatly diminished value.

Pick any one single issue and I'll be as careful as possible in addressing it.

Since it's your thread, you get to narrow down the topic. Pick the one you think I responded to best...or worst.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 06:21 pm
Blatham
Blatham, an important issue has occurred to me. Have you noticed that none of Bush's Supreme Court nominees have been Republican Libertarians? Alito and Roberts both have paper trails of supporting a robust presidency over a weaker congress. Is this why Bush nominated them? Maybe he is trying to pack the Court with candidates who will not only support the Bush-Cheney presidential power plan, but also protect him from charges of violating Federal Law and the Constitution.

Republican Libertarians would be apposed to his goals.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 06:28 pm
Blatham
One of the most serious warnings of Bush's actions, which occurred prior to 9/11 is:

Bush, by Executive Order, changed the presidential papers act to make it almost impossible to have access to presidential papers. Assume that he did this to protect Poppy Bush's actions while vice president and president.

BBB
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 08:14 pm
First, to BBB. Re the presidential papers, yes, that is just one more example of rejecting the notion that governance ought to be transparent. It is fundamentally anti-democratic and does not show trust in the electorate, quite the opposite.

Re Alito and Roberts and support for increased executive powers...I think, given this administration's admitted desire to accumulate power to the Presidency, that such an interpretation of constitutional law would be a necessary criterion for any SC pick.

But I'm probably least concerned with this particular issue because I don't see either fellow (I hope I'm right in this) as extreme ideologues. They are conservatives but, I think and hope, that their approach to the task will be tempered by their respect for what has come before and for judicial independence. Even Scalia, who I consider an elitist ****, is a seriously brilliant and thoughtful guy who won't fancy much incursion on his body's independence.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:21 pm
finn

Let's take it from the top.

finn wrote:
Quote:
This seems to be an interesting way to hide an assertion of certain correctness within an insincere admission of possible error.

Yes, you have it exactly. I wrote it that way for the simple fun of it (irony).

blatham
Quote:
ISSUE ONE: The imperial presidency.

Whether democracy, in any fullsome sense of that word (ie., the framers' sense of it or your and my sense of it) will survive the accretion of power by the present crowd with attendant loss of balancing institutions, is not certain. Retention of the congress in Republican hands will push this change further. Retention of Republican control of congress and the presidency in 2008 will likely make the matter irretrievable for decades, if ever.

finn on the imperial presidency wrote:
Quote:
Well, at least you acknowledge that (at present) the falling of Democracy's sky is not certain.

No, I'm not certain, even given retention of congress and even retention of the Presidency. But if the next two elections go that way, I think it likely that your government will have changed, perhaps irretrievably.

Quote:
The real issue here is to what extent the executive branch has assumed greater powers, the balancing institutions have seen their's diminish and, most importantly, what peril, if any, this presents to the nation. I appreciate that for you and others there really is no issue in this regard, but if you are truly willing to acknowledge some of your fears may be unfounded, you should have no problem acknowledging that your assertions are debateable.

Of course.

Quote:
Retention of the congress by Republicans may very well maintain whatever the status quo is, but there is no certainty at all that it will, or that it will advance the situation in the direction you fear. Congressional Republicans are by no means as unified in their support of the President's policies as they were during his first term: McCain's anti-torture bill and the extension of the Patriot Act are two legislative examples that immediately come to mind.

First off, the potential is not merely maintaining the status quo, but pushing it even further. There is a growing disunity now which functions as a moderating influence. But moderating influences have been removed as much as possible in the present conservative movement. Evidence the statements from moderate republicans in congress and senate saying exactly that. Evidence the history of key modern republican figures who, as early as their college republican days, specifically set out to remove moderates from whatever level of the party they were functioning in (see, for example, Easton's "Gang of Five" for the documentary trail on this).

Another moderating influence is the electorate itself. If you set out to do extreme thing X and the public doesn't want it, they'll moderate you. That's the theory. But there are ways to minimize this element...deceit, stealth tactics, information control including propaganda, sophisticated marketing techniques (future book...The Marketing of Torture), secrecy and promoting an environment of dire emergency or threat. Hello Bush administration.

For there is that other side to your equation re moderating forces - the forces pushing to maintain unity and consensus. And the goal of that push is to maintain (or hopefully increase) electoral gains and power. David Guergen has said he believes that the RNC and Rove have as a goal Republican power for 30 years. I consider Guergen to be as credible a source as is available, and as knowledgeable as anyone doing analysis in the US. If you consider the broad dominance necessary to reach or even approach that goal, then you get some idea as to the risks that could flow from what is effectively single party government.

Of course the independent spirit and value will rise up in some Republicans, but just look at what happened with the representative who wasn't giving Hassert what Hassert wanted and the threats that came down on him (regarding his son, running elsewhere).

But the problem is broader than just elected officials. Consider the Abramoff/DeLay KStreet network, where lobbying firms have been widely and consistently disallowed access UNLESS they took Republicans into their firms. That wasn't set up just to get young Republicans a good paycheck. And of course, as a side negative, this sort of arrangement and the power and influence generated from it is bound to produce all the corruption we've seen arise now.

Quote:
It is possible, but unlikely that Republicans will strengthen their hold on Congress in 2006. It is more likely that they will retain their control with a diminshed majority in the house and simply hold on in the Senate. It is quite possible that they will lose the Senate.

Tough to know this now. The margins are slim and the variables are large. What is easier to predict is where things will go if the present trends (the one's I'm speaking of) continue.

Quote:
No matter what happens (including the unlikely strengthened grip on Congress) there is no reason to believe that an essentially lame duck Bush will enjoy the level of support he had in the past. In the end, individual Republicans (in the main) are more concerned with maintaining and increasing their own personal power than that of the President. Their goals post 2006 will be to save those seats that are up for grabs in 2008 and securing the White House for their party. If they at all perceive that this requires them to distance themselves from Bush, they will not hesitate to do so.

Yes, quite so. As I said, this is a moderating influence. But if congress is held Republican, and once the 2008 primaries are finished, it will be rally time again. Regardless of who the two candidates will be, that will be so.

Quote:
Your dire prediction about continued Republican control of the congress and White House is a great example of the paranoia of which you led off your post.

I'd be happy if it was merely that. Truly I would. But I've done my homework (most of it).
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 04:01 am
Blotham talks of the accretion of power by the present administration.

Accretion of power?

December 1998- Bill Clinton pre-emptively and without Congressional Approval launches missles at Iraq

October 2001- President Bush goes to the Congress and asks that THEY GIVE HIM THE AUTHORITY to Invade Iraq.

Accretion of Power?
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 04:04 am
Blotham tells us of an "entirely and exclusively Republican media system"

Really?

CBS, NBC, ABC, The New York Times, The Washington Post, Time Magazine

Republican Media System?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 04:16 am
He's been working on his dictatorship from the very beginning:

"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator."--George W. Bush, December 18, 2000.
0 Replies