Mercedes E320 Computer Problem

cjhsa

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 04:07 pm
At least I think it is. I keep getting errors in the diagnostic display saying "ABS" and "BAS" (antilocks and braking assist). Sometimes they come up immediately after starting the car, other times after driving a ways. All the manual says is "take it to a dealership". Which I will, unless anyone here can save me some time.

It was working fine until I had it washed the other day. That is the only thing I can think of.

Help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,050 • Replies: 30
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 08:12 pm
Slow time of the year.... anybody?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 08:42 pm
sorry don't know a thing my 1966 does not have a computer Wink
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 10:21 pm
I'm thinking this rig has a short, as I have for some time, and water has gotten somewhere it doesn't belong. As I've mentioned before, I hear the engine in the AM radio, and get a shock off this thing whenever I exit.

I don't wanna go dump a bunch of money on something that might fix itself in a dry climate.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 11:56 pm
I had a toyota with a faulty sensor one time, they honestly said ignore it, but if you get a shock or hear it in the radio then there must be current in the line somewhere.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 12:46 am
Check the fluids, see if your brake fluid has gone bust. Your thought of the short has credence because of the proximity to the car wash. I'd have it checked out though, nothing like going to the brakes only to find they're not happening!

Anon
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 01:20 pm
Mercedes says new "ETS Pump", $1200 plus labor. Ouch. The pump is grinding like it is stuck, so it's fairly easy to find. I tried tapping on it with a hammer to try to free it up, but no luck.

Argh. Car drives fine, but no traction control, no brake assist, and no anti-locks. Grrrr!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 01:33 pm
).Well, that's what they like to do.

I've looked through some German Mercedes blogs: it seems that such was relatively common: both, what you, cjhsa, described and who the service reacted.

Some just changed a cheap relais (quite often one ABS related, which was a cheap Spainish parts some time ago).

I had the very same with my (admittingly much smaller) car: all the diagnose comtrol lamps switched on, from APS overs ESP+ to AirControl in the tires. Just stopped, switched the car of for some minutes, started again and everything was fine (but dozens of reports in the computer log: can be ignored, the service said :wink: ).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 01:56 pm
I suspect some time in a warmer climate would rid this car of many gremlins.

I'll search for that relay. Thanks Walter.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 06:28 am
Bump for Tuesday.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 07:21 am
I"m glad I don't own a car anymore. I started getting confused when they replaced generators with alternators.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 10:53 am
What would Slappy Doo? Hoo?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 07:06 am
I found another problem. The third brake light, on the rear deck lid, is out. One of the things the dealership we purchased the car from told us was to check the brake lights. We forgot that one.

Could this be the culprit? If so dealership #2 has some explaining to do.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2006 06:39 am
Not. Fixed the third light, ETS/ABS/BAS fault indicators still active. Argh.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 10:23 pm
cjhsa wrote:
What would Slappy Doo? Hoo?

I'd find a good independent mechanic who works on European cars, and get it fixed. I'll have the new car stores diagnose something it seems like a complex problem, then have someone cheaper actually do the work. At least you know what it is.

Just found this thread surfing the autos forum.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:10 am
That is exactly what we will do, maybe. Wink

I'd like to get that pump off and try cleaning it out, but that system uses brake fluid under high pressure to control all those ABS/ETS... I have no idea where to begin to get at it.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:16 am
CJ,

I'm thinking about pickIng up a Baby Mercedes for my granddaughter. 1993, E-190, 2.3, really excellent condition, 115,000 miles. Any warnings??

Anon
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:24 am
My MIL had one of those. Like my old BMW, they are rear wheel drive and light in the tail, so they suck in snow. If no snow, then go for it.

It snowed here during morning commute. I was all over the place. 0-35 in about 15 minutes.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:28 am
Nope, No snow. It's a real jewel for $3,500. It's hard to resist, original owner ... pretty sure I'm going to grab it!

Thanks

Anon
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 09:47 pm
Those are solid cars, AV.
0 Replies