Easy snacks when drunk!

Krekel

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 05:12 pm
When young, then often drunk, no?

Anyhow, when I return to my humble home from some place where it was obligatory to get drunk, I often make a sandwich out of three slices of bread, with two thick layers of cheese and some mayonaise and/or sambal between the three slices.

What do you like to eat when returning home from a bacchanalia?

PS; is sambal as acclimatized in other countries as it is in Holland, or is it a colonial substrate?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,137 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 05:27 pm
It is never obligatory to get wasted; although there was a time when I would do it just for the heck of it.
As for food, I have no idea what I used to eat when drunker than anybody should ever have been...in general I just ate whatever was there and sometimes that meant some rather foul looking vittles. One New Years day I was forced to eat a can of mixed vegetables and half a slice of rye bread with little egg yolk residue on it and...this is the really bad part...I was forced to wash it down with cheap wine. Oh, wait...that's what made the rest of it palatable. And come to think on it, it was red wine so it wasn't all bad.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 05:48 pm
CHEETOS Exclamation
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 08:58 pm
I'm feeling my age. I'm feeling sententious.

Please for the sake of your long-suffering neighbors avoid any little sobering snackie that involves heating a pan of oil for deep frying while you take a little nap on the couch.

Consider the neighbors.

..."when the fire fighters arrived the kitchen was fully engaged and the flames were climbing to the apartment above...."
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 07:33 pm
Yes, don't use the deep fryer when, well, you know when. I don't have upstairs neighbors though, but still... I prefer my house to be not burned to ground.
0 Replies

Agent of Change

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 08:26 pm
My favourite drunk-snacks usually involve bread and strong condiments. Many of you may have tried the ketchup sandwich, and it is a fine "entry-level" sandwich, but I definitely recommend the following sandwich fillers (in any combination):

Worcestershire sauce
Soy sauce
Mango chutney
Vinegar from the pickled onion jar (dunking is best)
A light sprinkling of curry powder
Lemon juice
Gravy (make in a cup from granules then pour over bread)
Garlic paste

When I'm drunk all I need is starch, and something to cut through the fur lining my mouth and dulling my tastebuds.

If you're very drunk, just drink vinegar out of the bottle/jar. It cures hunger very quickly...
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 08:43 pm
Wow, you got it down! Cheese and carbs when still pissed is the way to go! It really helps with the hangover too....gives the stomach something to digest and to soak up all the booze. How delightful and scientific eh?! :wink:

Hey, it works! Also, oriental noodles w/ saltines will do the job. Fried foods are a no-no.
0 Replies

Agent of Change

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 08:57 pm
Instant noodles in a sandwich with extra soy sauce - a winner in my book...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 09:29 pm
Where was this thread when I needed it, a couple of nights ago!?
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 10:12 pm
I must say if I'm a drinkin', I'm a eatin'... I've had more than enough lessons to make that my imbibing mantra. In a pinch though I have some big ass cans of clam chowder that I'll pop open, add a couple of dollops of tabasco to and have at it... and then down a multi vitamin as well.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 10:41 pm
Cheese and crackers, a salami or bologna sandwich, doritos, tortilla chips and salsa, anything to soak up the booze.
0 Replies

Agent of Change

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 10:53 pm
I almost forgot the staple food of most drunken British men - the humble donner kebab. Say what you like about the Turks' dirty footballers, they can sure make a fine snack.

"Large donner, please mate, extra onions, garlic sauce and chilli sauce. And a can of Coke."
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:21 pm
Sadly we don't get those here... the kebabs that is.
0 Replies

Agent of Change

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:34 pm
A donner kebab:
http://uk.inmagine.com/168nwm/ingram/ingfoodmenu/ingfmysb0036.jpg
The meat is cooked like this:
http://www.jellyface.co.uk/blog/uploaded_images/kebab_1-753651.jpg
And usually sold from one of these!
http://media.amersham.bit10.net/1008/bec3_copy.jpg.jpg
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:11 am
I've had them before, we just don't have them here.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:22 am
http://uk.inmagine.com/168nwm/ingram/ingfoodmenu/ingfmysb0036.jpg

Yours look different to ours, Agent. Ours (in Melbourne, Oz) are in freshly baked Turkish bread. Soft on the inside & crunchy, with sesame seeds on top. Very nice! Lots of Turkish places near where I live!
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 04:21 pm
Can't face a donner when I'm sober,let alone pi$$ed.I usually stagger to the all-night cafe,which is a mobile van as previously posted,and scoff a couple of bacon rolls,smothered in brown sauce.These are washed down with a large tea with three sugars.From there,it's a 20 min walk home,and what with the carbs and the fresh air doing their job,I usually arrive in an acceptable condition.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 04:29 pm
Ya'll make getting drunk sound so glamorous....
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 06:02 am
Agent of Change wrote:
A donner kebab:
[img]htp://uk.inmagine.com/168nwm/ingram/ingfoodmenu/ingfmysb0036.jpg[/img]
The meat is cooked like this:
htp://www.jellyface.co.uk/blog/uploaded_images/kebab_1-753651.jpg
And usually sold from one of these!
[img]htp://media.amersham.bit10.net/1008/bec3_copy.jpg.jpg[/img]

These are fantastic! In the Netherlands these place are usually open till way after midnight. Shoarma is more common then kebab here, but I've never noticed any difference in taste. Also, pizza with shoarma/kebab is now very popular:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/krekel/fbdb6eb4.jpg
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 06:03 am
DrewDad wrote:
Ya'll make getting drunk sound so glamorous....

Thanks!

It's a gift, I guess...
0 Replies