Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 05:21 pm
http://www.ericblumrich.com/thanks.html
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 05:21 pm
Re: Is this justice ???
blueflame1 wrote:

On the face of it, no.

Violations of the "laws and customs of war" seems pretty wide open.

It's also hard to understand how the Court could find that there was genocide, that the man caused death and serious bodily harm to the whole or entire Kurdish population, but was not guilty of genocide.

I hope there are a lot more facts than have been revealed by this article.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:00 pm
The Public Prosecutor's office in the Netherlands filed an appeal on Friday against the acquittal of Dutch businessman Frans Van Anraat on charges of complicity in genocide by Saddam Hussein.

In December, the court sentenced Van Anraat to the maximum term of 15 years in prison for complicity in war crimes for selling chemicals used to produce poison gas to Hussein's government.
While the court acquitted Van Anraat of the genocide charges, the prosecutor's office wants the appeals court to decide if Van Anraat was an accomplice to genocide by providing the chemicals used to manufacture gas used by Hussein's forces in Iraq and Iran.
The trial court found that the prosecution failed to prove that Van Anraat knew of Hussein's purpose in using the chemicals. The gas was used by Saddam's military in Iraq's 1980-1988 war against Iran and its own Kurdish population, specifically during the 1988 attack on Halabja.
Anraat is also appealing his conviction and sentence.

From Expatica: Saddam's chemical supplier faces genocide appeal
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:58 pm
Walter, since a precedent has been set on this issue I cant help but believe that all those who sold WMD to Saddam after he had used WMD are equally guilty. And I point the finger at Reagan/Bush.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:08 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The Public Prosecutor's office in the Netherlands filed an appeal on Friday against the acquittal of Dutch businessman Frans Van Anraat on charges of complicity in genocide by Saddam Hussein.

In December, the court sentenced Van Anraat to the maximum term of 15 years in prison for complicity in war crimes for selling chemicals used to produce poison gas to Hussein's government.
While the court acquitted Van Anraat of the genocide charges, the prosecutor's office wants the appeals court to decide if Van Anraat was an accomplice to genocide by providing the chemicals used to manufacture gas used by Hussein's forces in Iraq and Iran.
The trial court found that the prosecution failed to prove that Van Anraat knew of Hussein's purpose in using the chemicals. The gas was used by Saddam's military in Iraq's 1980-1988 war against Iran and its own Kurdish population, specifically during the 1988 attack on Halabja.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:23 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

The basis of the decision is unclear, and the article is too brief or too poorly written to properly explain it.

Did the Court find that Van Anraat knew Saddam would use the chemicals sold to him to manufacture poison gas for use in weapons?

I have to assume the Court drew a distinction between Van Anraat knowing Saddam would use the chemicals to maufacture gas weapons, and knowing Saddam would use the chemicals to manufacture gas weapons to be used in genocidal efforts.

Didn't the prosecutor have to also prove that Van Anraat knew Saddam would use the chemicals to build gas weapons and use them against someone, or is the mere manufacture of gas weapons considered an international war crime?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 11:33 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
The basis of the decision is unclear, and the article is too brief or too poorly written to properly explain it.

The basis is the decision were the facts which were presented to the court.

Re your other questions: can't give you an answer since I don't remember what I've read about the decission and since I didn't store Dutch newspapers.

Obviously, the prosecution has another view than the court had had. Othersie they wouldm't file the appeal.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 12:07 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

The basis is the decision were the facts which were presented to the court.

Sorry Walter but -No **** Sherlock! Since I wasn't a judge on the Court, I'm forced to fathom the basis of the decision from your postings and links (presuming I have no desire to Google up a Dutch court opinion - which I do not)

Re your other questions: can't give you an answer since I don't remember what I've read about the decission and since I didn't store Dutch newspapers.

No problem - should have been your leading response but, again, no problem.

Obviously, the prosecution has another view than the court had had. Othersie they wouldm't file the appeal.

Do you think so?

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 12:15 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Do you think so?

Well, of course, otherwise they couldn't appeal.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 12:27 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Do you think so?

Well, of course, otherwise they couldn't appeal.

English VIII for Germans: Topic 4a - Sarcasm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 12:32 am
Don't get your response - mine was thought seriously.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 01:06 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Don't get your response - mine was thought seriously.

I'm sure it was.

Sarcasm often flies by those who share the same language, and so it is no surprise that it might be missed by someone for whom English is, at best, a second language.

No fault of yours. I couldn't even dream of participating in a German language forum with the same skill as you bring to A2K.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:38 am
And that especially, because I'm wellknown to be big, big supporter of anti-sarcasm! :wink:
0 Replies