All time favourite albums

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 04:46 am
I do know that.
I probably know more than you do about it actually.
Doesnt have to mean that i like R&B though does it?
Modern R&B has grown out a lot of styles. Styles that I like actually,
but if I chose a lot of pretty colours like blue and green and yellow and red, and I put them all together, then I'd get brown.
See my point?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 05:51 am
The topic as I read it asked for all time favorite albums - it didn't ask for favorite artists, songs or favorite genres of music. I came up with a list of albums off the top of my head that I would sit and listen to from start to finish if I had time. Unfortunately for me, I only had time to do that about twenty-five years ago when I was a teen-ager, so my list reflects that specific period of time and what I was listening to then. I was a white teen-aged girl from the suburbs and my list probably reflects that.

If the topic had asked what genre of music I most love, I very likely would have said R&B, but definitely blues or even gospel (which is a form of music from which R&B itself emerged). If the topic had asked for favorite Artists, I might have listed:Marvin Gaye, Bill Withers, Al Green, BB King, Muddy Waters, Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Cassandra Wilson,
Earth Wind and Fire, Arrested Development, Nappy Roots,
The Roots (love The Seed 2.0 - not sure what the heck he's talking about - I think it's deeper than cheating on a girlfriend and having a baby - I think it's about producing music as an offspring, but whatever - that song just hooked me the first time I heard it)
Jurrassic 5, Dre, and even Snoop Dogg on occasion. Again, that's just off the top of my head - if I thought about songs and looked stuff up, I could go on and on.

Not sure if this makes me an intellectual or not. I've never thought of myself as an intellectual - I'm more of an emotionalist. I either like or don't like something by the way it makes me feel. Rhythm and Blues (musically) usually makes me feel more intensely than rock. But I usually connect more to rock lyrics than I do to the lyrics in R&B songs. And since words and music are two of my favorite things in life both genre's are important to me.

I think if you were talking to black intellectuals, you would find a lot of rhythm and blues and jazz albums on their lists. At least that's true of the black intellectuals I know and am friends with. I think most folks around here are white - maybe that has something to do with the lists of albums as well.

Sorry to go on and on - I found your thoughts interesting though. And if you were just kidding around - feel free to ignore everything I just wrote....
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 07:24 am
aidan wrote:
I think if you were talking to black intellectuals, you would find a lot of rhythm and blues and jazz albums on their lists. At least that's true of the black intellectuals I know and am friends with. I think most folks around here are white - maybe that has something to do with the lists of albums as well.

I think that has everything to do with the lists of albums. As was stated earler, it's demographics on this site and nothing more.

It was just a foolish and smug thing to say, boiling down to intellect being measured iby the music one listens to or those who listen to r & b are lacking in intellegence.

Go to any college campus in this country. Know what you'll hear? Alot of rap music. Hardcore. Now, I hate rap music but would never presume that these kids are stupid or lacking in intellegence because their music of choice is one that I don't even allow in my home. It's just not my taste in music. Simple as that.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 08:02 pm
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
I mean ccontemparyR&B which stands for rhythm and bass, aka noise.

You doing A-Levels? Ask your teacher if the sentence I quoted would be a fair asessment.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:30 am
Well obviously the last part was subjecttive.

eoe. You are forgeting that im generalising.

I am going to give you another example.
Take Jessica Simpsons latest piece of crap, 'these boots are made for walking.'
She actually wrote the link! wow.
Now the link goes,
'you wanna give me a handclap?
you wanna give me a yee ha?'

Are you saying that thats genuius writing?

I am not saying that everyone who listens to r&b is stupid whatever.
I am meerly making the observation, that most people on this site like rock music, and most people on this site have intellectual qualities.
Or so i think.

Obviously we would need to do some surveys if this was to actually be proven.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:12 am
And you see where generalizing gets you, right? It's the same as stereotyping and all it reflects is smallmindedness and a lack of life experience.

You're talking r&b and citing Jessica Simpson as an example of that???
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 03:35 am
No, all it reflects is generalising.

And yes I am. All 'pop divas' are trying to jump on the r&b bandwagon these days.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:05 am
All 'pop divas' are trying to jump on the r&b bandwagon these days.

just because the pop/urban/hip hop/rap world of music has hijacked elements of r&b to use as their own doesn't diminish from the origins of r&b, it's how music evolves

music is by nature an assimilating art, it feeds and grows off it's history
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:16 am
Leonard Cohen's
The Future

I love all of it, but the instrumental called Tacoma Trailer is especially beautiful!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 07:19 am
No, all it reflects is generalising.

And yes I am. All 'pop divas' are trying to jump on the r&b bandwagon these days.

Only in nevernever land.
I'm out.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 07:55 am
Check my location. Or was that what you were refering to?

You mean that you quit because you know you're wrong.
Very wise Wink
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:02 am
I'm out because it's a waste of my time.
byebye.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:06 am
Hehe
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:29 am
djjd62 wrote:
All 'pop divas' are trying to jump on the r&b bandwagon these days.

just because the pop/urban/hip hop/rap world of music has hijacked elements of r&b to use as their own doesn't diminish from the origins of r&b, it's how music evolves

music is by nature an assimilating art, it feeds and grows off it's history

The operative word (in your quote Pentacle Queen) is "trying". Yeah, they might be trying, but they aint making it.

And I'll say it again, I think authentic urban, hip hop and rap artists, who really feel where rhythm and blues are coming from are producing great stuff. It's sad when people just undermine whole genres of an art just because it doesn't appeal to them personally.

And finally, who listens to music to feel intellectual anyway? I read books for that. For most people music is for the times they want to exercise the other side of their brains.

Are you beating around the bush at something here Pentacle Queen?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:12 am
No I completely agree.
Artists such as 2pac, did produce great stuff.
Current people such as destinys child, are still producing great stuff.

I didnt say people listen to music to feel intellectual. I said that the majority of people on this site listen to rock music, and the majority of the people are intellectual in some way or another.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:45 am
. I said that the majority of people on this site listen to rock music, and the majority of the people are intellectual in some way or another.

I'm finding it hard to conjure up an argument here so I'll thank you for an interesting discussion.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:05 pm
No I completely agree.
Artists such as 2pac, did produce great stuff.
Current people such as destinys child, are still producing great stuff.

I didnt say people listen to music to feel intellectual. I said that the majority of people on this site listen to rock music, and the majority of the people are intellectual in some way or another.

Yes, you're right, the majority of people on this forum do seem to favor rock over other musical genres. But I think it's because most of the people who participate in this forum are white because I don't even know if I'd agree that the majority of those who visit this site are intellectuals - I think true intellectuals are a rarity in our society today. I guess the only question I have is: if you are assigning the label of "intellectual" to those who like rock - what label might you assign to those who like other genre's? I'm not going to go back and throw your words at you, but I think you did have some disparaging words for those who like r&b, and I think that's where the danger of stereotyping slips in. And although we all do it, to one extent or another, I myself try to avoid it.
Actually, if I were to admit what I consider to be a stereotypical thought of my own, I have to admit that I might believe most true intellectuals would most enjoy classical music, and not be drawn to rock at all- and I'd probably be wrong.

You're right, you didn't say people listen to music to feel intellectual - I meant to say that I believe that people who are true musicians, and not just able to be technically trained, pull their inspiration and ability from a creative gift or talent more so than their intellect. And I think listeners respond from a part of their brain that corresponds to that. For me personally, playing and listening to music use other parts of my brain - and not primarily whatever intellect I possess. But that's just me. But I agree with Panzade - interesting conversation you started...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:55 pm
before i started listening to guns and roses, i couldn't even spell intelleckshuawl, and now i are one
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 01:50 am
ha ha.
Guns n roses rock my pants off.
But dont take the piss because some of their stuff is actually really deep.

I dont know what i'd label other genres. But i'd definately say that from my experience, in my short little life, that most people who listen to r&b are chavs. And I hate chavs.
I suppose thats where this argument comes from.
Maybe I am a little biased Wink
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 09:26 am
I think I my have to add another album to my list.

L.A.M.F--Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers.

Just raw, raw, junky sleaze-rock.
0 Replies