Ryan Adams - Gold
Bob Marley - Legend
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Juliana Theory - Emotion is Dead
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 11:48 pm
macsm11 wrote:
But the real problem was that the time had passed. The original musical ran from 1968 to 1972.

macsm<

This observation you wrote about Hair is so true. It was indeed a show for the years of its original run. It was a time, then, which was so different from any other four years I have ever lived.

Billed as Hair: the Tribal Rock Love Musical, it was a splendid period piece. It's brief nude scene was a real publicity phenom.

I was fortunate to see Hair performed on Broadway in 1970. A graduate student at the time, I appreciated its youthful vigor, evocative staging and unforgettable score. It was indeed "The Dawning of Aquarius" because it was so "Easy to be Hard" and to "Let the Sunshine In."

Once the Vietnam War ended, Hair was sheared of it biggest issue.
Were I to see it today, when I personally have no hair, I would sense that the show can never be updated. The times of its life were long enough; they cannot ever have the same subtext they had then because the turmoil of those years was so powerful that it scarred an entire generation.

Hair will never win a Tony for Best Revival. It speaks a language not spoken today and would have no box-office appeal.

Rest in peace, Hair. Peace is what you shouted at theatre-goers.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 04:36 am
While HAIR the play is dated and may never run again, the music is still worth listening to. I play the cast album several times a year.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 10:40 am
edgarblythe<

You are correct. The music from Hair is still a worthwhile listening experience.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 03:04 pm
I Dunno' WH,
...We are in an unpopular War again. Couldn't it be updated, and called, "Tattoo", or "Body Piercing"? Rolling Eyes (Okay, I'll admit to being, a bit warped. :wink: )
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 03:07 pm
Embarrassed Embarrassed ...I'm remiss......

......WELCOME MORDOU FOX!!!!!!.......
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 03:11 pm
Hey Booman didn't I see you round the corner just now. Struttin' your stuff.

It could be called "Death By TV" or "Nightmare On Gulf Street"
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 03:18 pm
Hey OAK,
...I'm sure, I can BUY an iron-clad alibi. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 03:21 pm
Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
Gosh, am I slow, OAK! Yuo're suggesting updated titles. In the words of Homer Simpson, "D'OH"!!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 03:21 pm
I'm sure Mr. Big'll bail you out of life's dumpster
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 03:22 pm
Wow, I must be in the right place...

Sealpoet, HUGE Be-Bop Deluxe fan....Sunburst Finish a definite fave...

Dyslexia...grew up in Toronto following Cowboy Junkies and other locals, have an original Indie vinyl pressing of 'Trinity Sessions' I am very proud of, plus their first Indie album 'Whites Off Earth Now' (an intentionally ironic title), a very slow blues groove that is awesome...met Margo Timmins a couple of times, she is so cute and so nice....

Umm, 'Quadrophenia', which I much prefer to 'Tommy', I liked 'The Wall'...and there are plenty others that have already been mentioned Very Happy
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2003 03:23 pm
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 06:45 pm
This isn't an original thought, but I forget who I heard it from:

Didya ever think, since middle aged and older folks play music mostly that was popular in their heyday, that in 20-30 years there'll be a buncha old folks walking around humming Eminem and Fifty-cent Raps?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 06:53 pm
snood, I think so...since moving to Philly, my completely white brother already sings the theme to "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" (heh heh...so white)...so I figure yes, give it a few years, it will happen Very Happy Personally, I am a bit older than my bro, prefer Gil Scott-Heron to 50 Cent...
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 06:56 pm
I do wonder about that, snood.....

I have my collection of 80's cds. As well as my collection of alternative rock/heavy metal cds.....and yet, while driving in my car, I have the oldies (50's's and 60's) station on....

And I can still hold a conversation with my fourteen-year-old son about new artists (he's an alternative rock fan) and which 'new' songs I like.

Weird phenonmenon.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 09:21 pm
Snood, and Cavfancier,
...I can address both of your posts in one reply. rap didn't begin with Kurtis Blow, or the sugar Hill Gang. Before them there was Gil Scott-Heron, The Last Poets, Lou Rawls, and more. I heard my first full rap in the middle fifties, "Be-Bop Santa Claus". ...I remember thee early rap numbers fondly, but I never repeat them like I do an old melody, and nobody covers them. So while the most creative numbers will be fondly remembered, they won't get the oldies treatment.
...As a mater of fact. Today you can hear people, in their late thirties, and early forties, singing songs from the early eighties, but how often do you hear someone doin' a hip-hop song from the same time period.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 09:28 pm
WH,
..I just re-read, at a slower pace, your poignant, post-mortem, post, on "Hair",......As the youngsters say, "You got skills, Bro'. Cool
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 12:07 am
Booman<

I'm glad you found my post on Hair to have some interest.

I do appreciate the compliment Exclamation
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 05:39 am
In no particular order, and incomplete, but these are some of my faves:

Big Head Todd & the Monsters - Beautiful World
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing
Michael Penn - Resigned
Dave Matthews - Crash
Lloyd Cole - Rattlesnakes, Easy Pieces
Elvis Costello - Taking Liberties, Trust, Spike
Mavericks - Super Colossal Smash Hits of the 90s (The Best of the Mavericks)
Flaco Jimenez - Sleepytown (contains great version of Beatles' Love Me Do)
Crowded House - The Very Best of Crowded House
Johnny Cash - The Hits
Junior Brown - Semi Crazy
Texas Tornados - The Best of Texas Tornados
Willie Nelson - Stardust
Ella Fitzgerald - The Cole Porter Songbook
XTC - English Settlement
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 06:43 am
I'll post this first, as it's the Top Ten I recently advocated among friends. I've invited them to join this discussion, actually, so we'll see what happens -

How about this - a few oddities and Beatles excluded because it'll be done too many times:

1. Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
2. The Revolution will not be Televised - Gil Scott Heron
3. What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
4. Protection - Massive Attack
5. Innervisions - Stevie Wonder*
6. Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morrisette
7. Universal Mother - Sinead O'Connor
8. Moon Safari - Air
9. Melody A.M. - Royksopp
10. Tropical Brainstorm - Kirsty McColl

*Amended from "The Queen is Dead - The Smiths", which I've grown tired of!

The above are in no particular order and exclude only "classical" music from my Desert Island disks.
0 Replies