All time favourite albums

aidan

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 02:01 pm
PQ - Let's just say that I've had experiences on a2k that lead me to take anything anyone says on here with a grain of salt and a sense of humor. That might be why I laugh at stuff that might not be meant as funny. In fact me even talking to you is kind of like my own little experiment. I've set my stop watch and I'm waiting to see how long it takes for the fun to begin...at which point I'll just check out again, cause like I said, I don't like small minds and hateful cruelty either. But I do like talking about music - so, whatever...don't take it personally that I don't take you too seriously - I don't take anyone on the internet very seriously. Call it "learned suspiciousness"- and if you're really of the demographic you say you are you should exercise caution-don't hand out facts about yourself, that leave you vulnerable in any way, such as your sexuality, (as a young girl that's not such a good idea) location, etc. Sorry, but I'm a mom - it's instinctive to try to protect. If you're not who you say you are, and you're just ******* around to have fun and a few laughs - I don't know what to say - to each his own I guess...

Don't take me too seriously either. I'm female, but my name is not really Aidan-just like your name is not really Pentacle Queen, etc., etc. I like my own name, and I tried to use it, but even though it's not a common name, it was already taken as a screen name. Aidan has a meaning that I like and if I'd had another son or daughter I might have used it - that's why I'm Aidan on here- I must have tried 20 names before I came up with one that wasn't in use. Maybe I'll tell you my real name someday - but not now. I identify with it and I love it, so I'm protective of it. See, that old internet caution coming out again.

Have fun at the Tate (I am American but I live in the UK) - I love the Tate.
See ya...
0 Replies

learned

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 03:36 pm
I'd have to say my all time favorite album is "Band Of Gypsys" By Jimi Hendrix. It's just such a passionate set of music and it's live. I love what Rich and Buddy Miles add to Hendrix. Love all the vocal improv. by Buddy.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 05:17 am
Ok, well I don't quite understand a lot of that. Especially the stop watch thing.
Yeah, I don't take the internet too seriously, but im not exactly naïve. Im not gonna tell anyone where I live or anything. There are some weird and wonderfull people on here.
I just guess that most people tell the truth either, as for sexualltiy. Well it doesn't matter to anyone on here if im gay or straight or a bloody transvestite. But I don't lie on here. I don't realy see the point.
So yeah, lets just get back to the topic of convo.

Panzade. Yeah it is difficult. Just work on the triplets against quavers slowly, and it will come. It is a strange feeling though when u play it, like each hand has a mind of its own.
As for the revolution, that's why I love it Wink
0 Replies

filfish

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 12:58 pm
Ok heres a couple of mine in no particular order

Prince - Purple Rain
Meatloaf - Bat out of hell (1 and 2)
Alicia Keys - Diary of
Leanne Rimes - I Need you
Dire Straits - Brothers in arms
Pink - Missundaztood
Eric clapton - Cocaine
Bob Dylan - Desire

I don't know, theres so many and it all depends on the mood i'm in, but the above list never have time to gather any dust in my collection.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 03:04 am
Today's faves

If I Could Only Remember My Name-David Crosby

Stephen Stills-Self titled

CSN&Y-4 way Street

An Introduction To The Music Of Haiti

Simon & Garfunkel-The Concert In Central Park

Willis Alan Ramsey

Danny Gatton-Cruisin Deuces

Bonnie Raitt-Give It Up Or Let Me Go
0 Replies

apoeticinjustice

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 02:38 pm
Flavor of the day:

Steve Earle - Exit 0
Robert Earl Keen - The Party Never Ends
Great Big Sea - Rant and Roar
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 02:58 pm
I've recently reacquainted myself with Talking Heads' Remain In Light, wonderful work there.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 09:29 am
Oh yeah. I just busted that one out yesterday. I love "Listening Wind."
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 05:09 pm
Yeah, I like that one alot too. Actually more today than when I first heard it. I have a nine year son who would play the first side till the cd player broke.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 05:32 pm
just started to appreciate this album a few years ago, i liked it well enough when it came out, but i was really a big fan of fear of music
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 02:48 pm
djjd62 wrote:
just started to appreciate this album a few years ago, i liked it well enough when it came out, but i was really a big fan of fear of music

I also enjoyed the Talking Heads' "Fear of Music", which I bought when it first came out in 1979. Their collaboration with co-producer Brian Eno represented one of the first attempts at melding pop music with African rythyms. I especially like the cuts "I Zimbra" and "Air". It's a shame, really, that they broke up because they were one of the most entertaining "New Wave" bands from the late 70s through the mid 80s. I recently bought one of their greatest hits double CDs and still enjoy "Once In a Lifetime", "Take Me To the River", "And She Was", "Wild Wild Life" and "Burning Down the House."
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 05:15 pm
One of my new all time favorite albums is "Welcome to the Monkey House" by the Dandy Warhol's. Lyrically - they're pretty lame a lot of times, but musically - I don't know - they just get me. Some of their stuff is almost techno - which I usually don't like - but somehow it sounds like a cross between David Bowie and the Cars mixed with the Stones and the Velvet Underground.

They're very, very catchy. I like their drums, their bassist (who happens to be a woman) and the lead singer's voice.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 05:23 pm
aidan wrote:
One of my new all time favorite albums is "Welcome to the Monkey House" by the Dandy Warhol's. Lyrically - they're pretty lame a lot of times, but musically - I don't know - they just get me. Some of their stuff is almost techno - which I usually don't like - but somehow it sounds like a cross between David Bowie and the Cars mixed with the Stones and the Velvet Underground.

They're very, very catchy. I like their drums, their bassist (who happens to be a woman) and the lead singer's voice.

I echo your sentiments on the Dandies. Lyrically they're too intent on letting everyone know how bohemian they are.

They're derivative, but intentionally, and they do it well. It's their motif, hence the name--in a sense, Warhol simply replicated what already existed, Brillo Boxes, Campbell soup cans, etc.

It's a great album.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 05:34 pm
What do you think about their newer one - 13 songs from New Bohemia (or something like that- I can never remember titles unless they're short)? That's the one I bought first, and it got better reviews than Monkey House - but I prefer the Monkey House overall.

On Monkey house, it's like they're walking a tightrope between being absolutely silly and really seriously talented, and on their latest one - they've decided to be serious talented and it's not as much fun.

I do like their long, dreamy stuff though - they always have nice melodies.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 05:42 pm
I'm partial to Monkey House. I like the Dandies for their electro-pop, and the jangly, indie shoegazer stuff on 13 Tales I can get from other bands.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2006 09:17 pm
Horse Pills.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 06:40 am
cjhsa wrote:
Horse Pills.

Yeah. That's a good track. I think Shakin' is another one I like. It's not a bad album.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2006 10:54 am
http://www.alexgitlin.com/npp/fothe2.jpg

Fotheringay

About the best folk-pop album to come out of the UK.Sandy Denny in fine form...Pat Donohue playing outrageous guitar. Nicely recorded too.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 09:34 am
That's a wild cover, Panzade. Can you reccommend any tracks for me to sample online? I'm curious.

I hereby add Angst In My Pants by the Sparks, to the list.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000258S4.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Often described as synth-pop from the early 80s, this is definitely a rock n' roll album. The synths are used well, not overdone. Wonderfully clever, lyrically. Upbeat, danceable, this is a great party album.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2006 06:51 pm
Gargamel wrote:
Can you reccommend any tracks for me to sample online?

A couple of good covers...Lightfoot's "The Way I Feel" and Dylan's "Too Much Of Nothing" will give you a feel for the band

I remember Sparks crowding the bargain bin...guess they're back in vogue Laughing
0 Replies