All time favourite albums

Vicki G

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 12:13 pm
Roses in the Snow-Emmylou Harris
I played this to death, now I want it in cd..
My favorite cuts are Roses in the Snow, Green Pastures, and The Darkest Hour is Just Before Dawn..
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 08:17 am
Roses In the Snow was Emmylou's second bluegrass album and Ricky Skaggs really steps up to the plate as a musical director and musician. With the addition of Tony Rice and Jerry Douglas on dobro, Emmy has a sterling supporting cast. The only clunker is The Boxer IMO. What was she thinking?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 07:17 am
The BEST album or all time is:

'appitite for destruction' by the legendary Guns and Roses.

and axl rose is the fittest man on the planet.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 07:20 am
We wouldn't expect you to say anything else...lol
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 07:21 am
he he!!!
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 12:58 am
I don't know if these are the greatest albums in the world - and there are so many more I would miss terribly- but if I had to go somewhere - these would have to come with me:

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (If you see her say hello - most
beautiful love song ever)
Dylan and The Band -Basement Tapes
Neil Young - Decade
Who - Quadrophenia/Tommy (it's a tie in my mind)
Stevie Ray Vaughn- Texas Flood
Lou Reed - Transformer
Van Morrison - Moondance
John Hiatt - Slow Turning/Perfectly Good Guitar
Rolling Stones- Tattoo You (a guilty pleasure)
Dire Straits - Making Movies
Fiona Apple-Tidal
Allman Brothers- Brothers and Sisters
Lenny Kravitz-Are you gonna go my way?
Bruce Springsteen - Greetings from Asbury Park ( I grew up in Jersey).
and finally - anything at all by Al Green; gospel, soul, anything!
*honorable mention - Although I wouldn't choose the entire album, I do think the song "Better Man" (by Pearl Jam on Vitalogy) comes close to being one of the most perfectly written and executed songs of it's genre.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:38 am
Holy smokes! I forgot about Rev. Green! Aidan, i picked up Al Green's "The Absolute Best", a 2-disc set, and altho' compilations usually leaves one wanting, this one is very fine indeed.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 10:45 am
I'll have to get it. He's coming to London this month I think - tickets were sold out as soon as they went on sale - so I'll miss him. He's just got an amazing vibe and I love his voice. Where do you live in the southeast? I used to live in North Carolina.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 10:59 am
axl roses wife wrote:
The BEST album or all time is:

'appitite for destruction' by the legendary Guns and Roses.

and axl rose is the fittest man on the planet.

If by "fit," you mean Axl better eat some damn food before his ribs literally stick through his body, yea, he's REAL fit.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 01:22 pm
Aidan, I'm in the Atlanta area.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 04:17 am
Lots to do there I hear. I have quite a few friends from college who settled there and seem to like it. I've been a few times-nice city- I also like Augusta and Athens - they remind me of Chapel Hill which is where I went to school and lived for a while. Although Athens in particular seems to have a much more interesting music scene than Chapel Hill. What other stuff do you like (music or otherwise). Questions - do folks get mad when people get off subject - are we supposed to have conversations elsewhere? Don't want to piss anyone off - but I find it hard to participate in these one sentence specific answers and feel that I'm getting to know anyone. Let me know what the protocol is, okay? Thanks.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:22 am
I'm no thread police, but unless it's political, folks don't mind digression as opposed to derailment.
REM is a good product of Athens, right?
Not sure about the db's...maybe Chapel Hill.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:05 am
Thanks Panzade - it's just helpful to know what the tone of a forum is. I'm not really too experienced - actually had never even heard of or thought of posting on a forum before last month - when a friend suggested it. We moved to the UK from the US in Sept. and my whole life changed - for the better in a lot of ways - but I'm not working and missed my friends and family and thought this would be a good replacement for talking with friends -I like discussions, debates, insights, etc. This seems like a pretty interesting spot - as far as forums go - so I thought I'd give it a try.

What an interesting life you've led. I love bluegrass - what instrument do you play? Do you sing?

Yeah, REM are great - although I have to admit I've kind of lost track of what they're up to since their drummer left - and haven't really been listening to the radio over here except for BBC4 - which is an education in itself.

Yeah, db's are out of Chapel Hill. Blind Melon came out of that general area. A lot of artists played venues there - but can't think of many nationally known that came out of there.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:56 pm
I play piano and guitar and sing in a honky tonk band but back in the 70's I played upright bass in a bluegrass band and we were at UNC and Virginia a lot.
I had a similar experience when I lived in UK for 2 years, so I tried to do a lot of traveling there and on the continent.
This is a superb forum for eclectic talk and brilliant characters...I'm sure you'll fit right in.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:23 pm
That's nice of you to say. I really do love it here- am so glad I came- I'm in Somerset and it is so incredibly beautiful. Where were you when you were here? I have taken the opportunity to travel. So far I've been to France, the Netherlands, going to see a friend in Ireland at the end of this month... and on and on, will go to Scotland this summer and hoping to go to Spain and Portugal in the fall. I'm here for a minimum of two years and can stay longer if I choose - I'm thinking I probably will - just because there's so much here I want to do and see - I don't think I'll get it all in in two years.

Where in Virginia did you play in the 70's? I went to quite a few shows at William and Mary and UV Charlottesville in the late 70's early 80's.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:30 pm
I was based in Wales for 2 years and then spent a year in Madrid. Take advantage of your situation is what I say.

We used to play Easters in C'Ville and I remember gigging at William & Mary and Randy-Mac(What we called Randolph-Macon...lol)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:32 pm
Back on track...One group I was able to hear in England was Family. Their "Music In A Doll's House is so dear...and so obscure.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:36 pm
Not familiar with them - I'll have to look them up. Who knows - maybe I heard you play somewhere way back then.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 04:01 pm
It's a small world...ain't it?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 04:18 pm
ya got that right!
0 Replies