NO bite & haha you Hurt?

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 04:03 pm
Ok Saryn The 1 year old little girl in our home has started to bite. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to stop this? She is so quick at it too. At home I can watch her just fine but in the car being that there is 3 of them in car seats it's kind of hard to split them up where she can't reach anyone. Also it's not only when she gets upset that she lashes out she could be trying to give one of them a hug or wants to give me kisses and chomp. So we try to keep our distance just a bit. I also have noticed in her more than in the others that she finds joy in others pain. Like if some one falls or if she hits them and they cry she will laugh, Is this normal? Or is it some thing I should have her checked for? I guess I'm not sure what they would check but hmm don't know. Would love any thoughts on this thankssss.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 716 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 09:35 pm
I knew a two-year-old who used to move from kiss to bite very, very quickly.

He outgrew this behavior, but it was hell on his little friends.

One is too young to explain.

All I can think of right now is a muzzle, but I'll be back.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 09:37 pm
All I can say is, very interesting, which is less than no help at all, sorry. I am interested in how you and the baby can deal with this.
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:17 pm
LOL a muzzle. Silence of the lamb came to mind haha. wonder if they make those in kid size grin.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:24 pm
I am not knowledgeable enough to help here.
By now it seems an automatic thing... but it probably can be stopped short.
I don't have any experience with it. Perhaps someone else has, or has a useful link on it.
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:28 pm
It's ok thank you. I enjoy reading your posts and your thoughts are always welcome.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:45 pm
I'll also come back to this. First thought, how do you react when she bites? Is it a big, entertaining reaction? That kind of feedback can make her want to do more, even if it's not GOOD feedback per se. So a starting point (and you may be doing this) is to be firm but boring -- make sure it's clear that it is emphatically not OK, but don't make too much of a production over it. If she's doing something she enjoys, remove her from the enjoyable situation and make it clear that she will be removed again if she bites again.

Most things I'm thinking of keep coming up against the fact that she's only ONE, I'll go look for more tomorrow. But first thoughts are boring but firm, and consistent. (Always about the same reaction, and always a "not OK" reactions.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:47 pm
Also, could she be teething? Those teeth come out at intervals... if she's teething, she may be feeling bitey in general, and getting her something that's OK to bite (a teething ring or whatever) may help.
0 Replies

Devious Britches

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:23 pm
well she seems to have all her baby teeth except the ones way in back. She will be 2 in March. I talked to her social worker about the bite part of it and she said to maybe try giving her some one on one more offten. She has visits every other day with mom and she may just be so upset and so little that she just doesn't know how to show it. She reacts well to mom no issues there but has a horrible time when it's time to go. I think you may be right on the reaction. I think I may of reacted a bit over when she bit me. Not in a angry way mind you but in a OMG ouch way? I'll have to work on the bord look. Kind of hard when you have a baby attached to you in that way. Thank you sozobe
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 09:32 am
Are the bites hostile or friendly?

My young friend Andrew's mother was full of nuzzling, loving play with lots of raspberries on exposed flesh. His painful bites were delivered with great love and affection.

At going-on-two Saryn is old enough to start to understand NO.

Do you use any sort of half-retch noise (a sort of emphatic "yuck") to communicate "Don't eat the dust bunnies/gravel/dirty pacifier type of things?

Perhaps if you "YUCK" very loudly for every bite, she'll get the idea that human flesh just might be a bit poisonous. At her age she's more likely to understand "not-good-for-me" than "I-do-not-want-to-cause-pain".

In fact if she misses her mother, she does want to cause pain.
0 Replies