Flip Flop! Flip Flop! Flip Flop!

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:32 pm
The WH has decided to support the McCain anti-torture bill.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 656 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:47 pm
I hear there is an asterik at the bottom of the bill that reads:

* The above does not apply if we fly them to Romania.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:03 am
I thought it was Bulgaria...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:15 am
Poland and Romania. Of course, nobody knows anything...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:18 am
When in doubt, go with the majority.............especially when an election is coming up! :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 02:54 pm
In re: to renditions and the alleged secret CIA prisons, I heard someone ask an obvious question I hadnt, surprisingly, heard anyone else ask:

"If the US is not flying its terror suspects around the world, to various allied states of dubious credentials and possible CIA-run camps abroad, for them to be tortured - why is it flying them around?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:16 pm
nimh

I have heard an apologist address that, sort of.

Interrogations might be more effective if the prisoner is held in a location where his family might be brought in or if certain cultural bonds and influences might be persuasive.

Total bullshit of course.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:26 pm
You have absolutely no basis for saying that the WH flip flopped. Maybe they merely negotiated with the McCain people until a mutually satisfactory compromise was reached. If I am wrong, then please cite some evidence that it was a matter of flip-floppping, rather than compromise.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:29 pm
Echo that.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 03:38 pm
nimh wrote:
In re: to renditions and the alleged secret CIA prisons, I heard someone ask an obvious question I hadnt, surprisingly, heard anyone else ask:

"If the US is not flying its terror suspects around the world, to various allied states of dubious credentials and possible CIA-run camps abroad, for them to be tortured - why is it flying them around?

Airline food. Pure torture.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:11 pm
nimh wrote:

To secure them from their friends and the continuous leaks of intelligence from the CIA and other org's.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:19 pm
Because one can trust the, say, Egyptian secret service so much better than the CIA when it comes to preventing intelligence leaks to Islamists?

Ignoring the rhetorical aspect of my own question here and taking your assertion at face value, McG, that sounds like a lot of money is misspent on what's probably the largest secret service of the world. I mean, if, as probably the best-funded intelligence service around, they have to hand over their detainees to any developing country's intelligence agency for safe-keeping... is the world's greatest nation really that incompetent?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 04:20 pm
I've always thought Idaho would be a good place to stockpile Terrorists, but what do I know?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 05:08 pm
Some day I'm gonna get a lot of credit for ignoring straight lines like that....
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 05:14 pm
Romania? Bulgaria? Idaho? I could have sworn it was Texas.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 05:28 pm
maybe the CIA needed to rack up more airmiles for free flights or upgrades , or are they trying to help the airlines from filing for chapter 11 by giving them extra business ? hbg
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 05:30 pm
JustWonders wrote:
nimh wrote:

Airline food. Pure torture.
Laughing

Between the food and those skimpy pillows. Torture in the sky
0 Replies