A case to end the death penalty

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 04:22 am
On this thread, at least, no one has made the arguments which you so deftly satirize, M. Yours is the first reference to Tookie Williams or to any consideration of factors which lead to a person's committing any acts of violence. The discussion, thus far, has been concerned strictly with the death penalty, its use and potential misuse. Your flair for satire would be far better served if you tried to stick to the subject being discussed.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 07:12 pm
Yes, but Society is to blame. Innocent infants are not murderers. They become murderers after they are beaten down by the racist society in which they find themselves.
Everyone knows that the elites are gaining more and more power and money and are grinding down the poor and helpless, especially under the tenure of the most ruthless president we have ever had in the USA- George W. Bush.

It is clear that the Administration is engaging in Nazi like tactics. The poor, minorities and the marginalized have no power in this society. This means that the constitution, which insists on justice for all, is being grossly abused.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 01:45 am
Actually, that is not always the case. Perhaps you could argue that sometimes society is to blame for contributing to circumstances that might hinder a person's mental and moral development, but I don't think that any of us can really put all of the blame on society all of the times. It just seems too vague. A person may act wrongly because he or she does not understand that his or her action is wrong. You could blame this on the parents maybe, but what if they have tried to make the person understand that certain actions are wrong but the person still does it anyway? Some people may do stupid things when they're feeling hopeless or very angry.

I guess what I'm saying is that it is really a complicated issue. Ultimately the person has at least some responsibility for the action that he or she commits, but that does not mean that he or she should be condemned to be killed. I think it is a mistake to think that wrongs can be right by committing more wrongs.

What's going on with Bush anyways?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 08:41 am
Mortkat wrote:
Everyone knows that the elites are gaining more and more power and money and are grinding down the poor and helpless, especially under the tenure of the most ruthless president we have ever had in the USA- George W. Bush.

It is clear that the Administration is engaging in Nazi like tactics. The poor, minorities and the marginalized have no power in this society. This means that the constitution, which insists on justice for all, is being grossly abused.

I always knew that there was something upon which Mortogatto and I could agree.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 08:54 am
And it's always good to see Godwin's Law confirmed . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 09:02 am
Setanta wrote:
And it's always good to see Godwin's Law confirmed . . .

Setanta- I had never heard of Godwin's law until recently, and now I am seeing it everywhere. Smart feller, that Godwin! Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 09:04 am
And so damned right, too ! ! !
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 03:34 pm
I most heartily disagree with Godwin's law. It has been my experience when I have encountered a character named Blueflame that he does not wait for the thread to grow before he calls the President A Nazi. He starts right off calling President Bush- Bushitler. In fact, he recounts the hilarious story of Bush's Nazi connections through his uncle, Prescott Bush, who it appears, worked for a firm headed by Harriman which included( gasp) a man who had actually contributed money to Adolf Hitler.

Anti-Bush people will go to absurd lengths to denigrate him. They cannot fathom why he has won three elections since 2000.

Bush, unlike his predecessor, the glandulary challenged Bill Clinton, who lost the House and Senate to the Republicans in 1994, has continued to build up the party numbers in the House and Senate and has actually, in the face of tradition, presided over the GAINING of Senate seats and House seats in the 2002 off year elections.

No, Godwin's law doesn't always apply. Check out the posts of Blueflame.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 03:41 pm
Prescott Bush was the grandfather of the current President, not the uncle.

Godwin's Law states:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Therefore, Blueflame's rhetorical propensities are not relevant to whether or not Godwin's Law is demonstrated. In this thread, Godwin's Law has been demonstrated.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:07 pm
You are correct, Setanta, Prescott was his grandfather but he has been targeted by the left as a Nazi. The gyrations of the left to besmirch the Bush family are ridiculous.

www.nhgazette.com/cgi-bin/NHGstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=NN_Bush_Nazi_2
0 Replies