What would be your ideal job

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 07:50 am
Assuming the Job Fairy has waved her magic wand over your hansom/pretty little head and the world is your oyster, what would be your ideal job when you are a big grown up person ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,001 • Replies: 37
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 08:00 am
I noticed that my small town has an opening for tree bark measurer. WOW...what a cool job! Walk around all day, measuring the texture and depth of trees.

Almost as exciting as the guy, who walks around town all day with a chalk stick marking the tires of parked cars. WOW...what a joyful and stimulating way to excericise your body and your mind! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 08:11 am
I always wanted to be an airline pilot when I was growing up. That is why I studies aerospace in college and took up flying as a hobby.

giggolo comes a close second !!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 10:03 am
The guy who does the Brazilians on the supermodels.
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 11:49 am
I'm already 2,3 and 4 Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 11:53 am
My retirement. What job offers the freedom to wake up anytime, do whatever one wants during the day, and travel this world of ours? I might jump into the soup, tho, because I'm being inverviewed for Grand Jury member of Santa Clara County on April 17. Wish me luck! Wink c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 12:46 pm
My ideal job would be a mid-level office position in logistics. That was my job prior to labor force cuts...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 01:48 pm
I still would have to say teacher, but my second choice would be advertising.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 04:01 pm
Retirement is my favorite job to date.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 01:13 am
I want Donald Trumps position.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 07:47 am
Spa and resort rater. I would have to spend at least a week at each one being pampered and catered to, in order to evaluate their level of service. (I've finally retired from my position as SuperMom, but still do consulting work as needed.)
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 08:37 am
Lots of interesting choices. I thought we might of had some more outlandish jobs but people know their own minds I guess.
I started this thread because last Friday night some 'orrible little scumbag tried to steal my car. Parked it across the road, with the steering column/lock busted and the wiring ripped out. OK it's only a car parked on my driveway. My reaction was one of anger, annoyance and frustration.
No matter how hard you work or what you do, there is someone who loves screwing your life up and making it difficult.

So for me, it's got to be a job that pays lots of money and is totaly unimportant. Rock Star fits the bill nicely
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 11:51 am
Crying or Very sad Ah, John. What a bummer. We had our car stolen once right from in front of our house. The police did chase them down, but they split when they ran upon a curb, and listen to this; they left a sweet doggie in our car, obviously a family pet.

Hmmmmm. Guess I'll have to rethink my vocation. Perhaps I should be a bobbette or a police woman. Those vandals and joyriders would get more than a wrap on the wrist from me. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:46 pm
Doing it!!
Howdy:

I am doing it right now.. 23 years as a career firefighter (firemen tend boilers, firefighters fight fires)..

Currently the Deputy Fire Chief.

Murray
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:39 am
Murray S
I applaud you! Thank god for fire fighters ;-)
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 02:55 am
i would like to be the guy who fluffers train with in adult films.

after that, an astronaut!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 10:45 am
An ideal job, at this time of the year, would be to be a whale watcher and a whale counter, down by the sea.

Razz Razz Razz Razz
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 04:09 pm
any job that results in someone else preparing my meals for me, is the perfect job. i opted for rock star. i could do the attitude, and i love changing the way i look. now if i could only play something other than the ukelele, recorder and clarinet. i really don't want to be the next Tiny Tim.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 04:25 pm
ehBeth wrote:
i really don't want to be the next Tiny Tim.

No "tip-toe through the tulips"?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 10 May, 2003 06:44 pm
My dream was always to be an academic, but one of the old-fashioned ivory-tower kind: just reading, studying, interpreting, comparing and, eventually, writing ... Work in quiet on an ambitious individual research project, meet with colleagues at seminars to discuss and compare, but otherwise be left free to focus, focus, focus - on that one exotic, versatile detail study on an obscure but fascinating aspect or episode of a nation's history.

But such jobs hardly exist anymore, I believe, (if they ever did, beyond the romanticized literary fiction of it) ...

I also always wanted to be a travel writer - nothing as cheesy an ambition as becoming the new Claudio Magris, no, simply: checking a city's neighbourhoods, museums and libraries, cafes, clubs and restaurants, and writing short, witty, critical review descriptions with just enough (historical) anecdote to suggest the city's overall story ... all research expenses covered by the parent company, of course ;-).

Alternatively, I would love to own my own club someday - I once acquired, in something of a spare time hobby, the certificate you needed to open your own cafe etc - I can just see it. It would be a double-reality place, with neighbouring entry doors and soundproof walls in between ...

On one side, a classic British gentlemen's club, where books line the walls, armchairs are comfortable and tea is served in discrete silence, and you never have to worry about there not being Darjeeling first flush or a separate saucer for the teabag; where the clientele is serious and at peace with itself, snacks are delicate without being snobbish, an expansive newspaper table offers the press from around the continent and where on special days, in a separate room, readings or discussions might take place.
Next door, the club would be the place to be with the latest dance music, new talent-DJs, ready to break through, premiering, acts, dancers and spontaneous events to always have something happening you wouldnt expect - nothing too strange or too decadent - and above all happy people lounging in the evening and bouncing in the early morning, dressed up or out because this is the night, like any night tonight is where it's going to happen for them. But no door policy - just a style, music, design and mood that would self-select the people. (Hah).
All I would need - a group of barmen, bored art students and raver girls for the one space, and professional waiters with the ambition to serve in perfection for the other - and loads and loads and loads of money to make it all happen in the first place ;-)).

If I'd had any musical talent myself I would have liked to be, say, Iva Bittova - discovering and making a style so different, sensitive and playful that those who come upon it can only stay and wonder - and meanwhile living out in the country, playing with my children in the garden and picking up the sounds of their screeches, their toys and of the wind in the forest around to make a new turn with on whatever will be the next album ... <smiles>

When I was a kid and little more than that, I wanted to be, like, a Zen Buddhist monk or something, or at the very least a forester <grins> - or sit like Kerouac on top of a mountain looking out for forestfires ;-).

Well ... that's enough daydreaming for now! Very Happy
0 Replies