An awful lot of chickpeas!

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 04:46 am
Gargamel wrote:
............ add your cubed tofu.

I've always wondered what one did with Tofu.

I purchased a block back in '97 as it was the trendy thing to do, and the bugger has been sitting there in the fridge, staring at me in a mocking sort of way, every time I go to get a beer.

Its days are now numbered, thanks to Gargamel.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 05:11 am
Ellpus

It's very nice baked (in halved slab form) at a fairly high temperature, after being marinated in soya sauce, some light oil & a little honey, with some chopped ginger & a little finely chopped garlic. Crunchy, tasty & quick. Yum! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:59 am
I do recommend this recipe. (Had it again last night.) The preparation is quite simple (after soaking & cooking the chickpeas) & it's very tasty indeed! (I substituted the pecans with the only nuts I had in the house - pine nuts - I was too weary to go out & buy some others. I reckon any nuts you have on hand would be fine.) Anyway, the recipe works. Yum. Try it! Very Happy

msolga wrote:
This burger recipe I just found look interesting & I like the choice of either sauteeing or baking:

Smoky Chickpea Burgers
Adapted from The Bean Harvest Cookbook, by Ashley Miller (Taunton Press, 1998).

The arrival of Autumn always brings back childhood memories of bonfires and burning leaves, and the lovely smokiness in the air from the first fire in the fireplace. There's a hint of that smoky autumn excitement in this recipe: smoked cheddar and the nuttiness of pecans give these burgers a lively flavor that needs no enhancement. They can be baked for a low-fat finish or sautéed in a little oil for a tasty toasted brown crust.

INGREDIENTS

2 cups cooked chickpeas
2 eggs
3/4 cup grated smoked cheddar cheese
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated carrots
Pinch of ground red pepper
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2-3 scallions, white and green parts, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander

1. In a food processor, combine chickpeas and eggs and process until pureed. Turn out the puree into a bowl and add the cheddar, pecans, breadcrumbs, carrots, red pepper, salt, black pepper, soy sauce, scallions, and coriander. Chill, covered, 2-3 hours.

2. When you're ready to cook the burgers, form the mixture into 6 patties.

3. If you're baking the burgers, preheat the oven to 350F and lightly oil a baking sheet. Place the patties on the sheet and bake 20 minutes.

4. If you're sautéing the burgers, heat a little oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, place the patties in the frying pan and sauté 3-4 minutes on each side, or until a browned crust has formed.

Makes six 3 1/2-inch burgers.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:11 am
So, now that I feel I've had enough chickpeas for a wee bit .... Laughing :wink: ...

I'd be interested in any other tried & true recipes you might have for, say, black-eyed peas/beans, red/green/brown lentils, aduki (sp?) beans, etc, etc, etc .... I have them all on my shelves, just waiting! Very Happy I feel I've eaten too much meat recently while I've been really stretched for time to cook & don't feel too wonderful about it. (Though you can include some meat as part of your recipes, OK?) So any inspired efforts you'd care to share?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:15 am
When I get a bee in my bonnet about cooking (like now!) I so miss cav! What a dynamo with food he was! Very Happy
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:59 am
Black-eyed peas + fresh spinach (and sauted onion) = simple and amazing. Would go great with them chickpea burgers.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:34 pm
< Insert suitable loud farting noise here >
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:25 pm
There is no such thing as a chickpea "burger".

Blech!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:47 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
< Insert suitable loud farting noise here >

Farting is very good for one, Ellpus. If we didn't fart, we'd die. Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:50 pm
cjhsa wrote:
There is no such thing as a chickpea "burger".

Blech!!

Is SO!!! Cool
0 Replies